The Princess of Wales Jewels 1: September 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a very nice compromise between tiara and hat. I wonder who made the headpieces that the Princess of Wales, Princess Charlotte and the Duchess of Edinburgh wore. Did the Duchess of Gloucester wear a similar headpiece?

It's a very nice compromise between tiara and hat. I wonder who made the headpieces that the Princess of Wales, Princess Charlotte and the Duchess of Edinburgh wore. Did the Duchess of Gloucester wear a similar headpiece?
Jess Collett x Alexander McQueen, I have updated my original post with more info and a link to a Daily Mail article.

This was brilliant compromise! I was worried about it being actual flowers...what a relief!

According to DM she's wearing the George VI festoon diamond necklace.
Is it true or just another false news by this tabloid?

It looks incredible on Kate and you can see it was designed to fit her head and facial shape. Only, I can't decide whether to call it jewellery or whether it belongs to the field of fashion.

It looks like a bridal headband from the 1980s. I think it is ghastly TBH and I am not sure what it has to do with jewelry. The earrings are nice but we have seen them often before and I had hoped for something new.

Last edited:
I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. From some angles it looks incredible. From another not so much.
Regarding the wardrobe and jewels, they went for simplicity. I do understand the rationale behind it.
But why not tiaras for working royal ladies?
Wouldn't Kate look lovely in her wedding tiara? Beautiful and elegant, yet small and discreet.

It looks incredible on Kate and you can see it was designed to fit her head and facial shape. Only, I can't decide whether to call it jewellery or whether it belongs to the field of fashion.

I agree I looks stunning on the Princess and a perfect substitute for a tiara!

It looks like a bridal headband from the 1980s. I think it is ghastly TBH and I am not sure what it has to do with jewelry. The earrings are nice but we have seen them often before and I had hoped for something new.
It looks as if it was photoshopped on her head instead an actual flower headband. I’d rather she wear brooches or a floral hair jewels instead

I like the headpiece. Catherine looks wonderful today!

I like the headpiece on Charlotte. It is simple and not too big. It goes with her outfit too. I do not care for the headpiece on Kate. Too gaudy.

A lovely surprise to see the royal ladies in their robes and the head piece was a great compromise - especially in combination with Charlotte's cape dress and head piece.

Apparently, Jess Collett one of the designers of the headpiece was a recipient of the princes trust and that’s how she started her business, so very appropriate

I'm not sure about the headpiece as well, it indeed looks like a bridal headband.

According to DM she's wearing the George VI festoon diamond necklace.
Is it true or just another false news by this tabloid?

Probably another false news by DM, the neckline of her gown doesn't have space for a triple strands necklace.

I've read that the headpieces were inspired by the ones worn by QEII's Maids of Honor for her coronation.

The Princess of Wales always looks stunning but I am disappointed. It was a nice compromise but it is not special enough. A physical tiara itself lasts for centuries. I think a timeless piece would have better reflected the solemnity and importance of this historic event.

I must say I don't particularly like the headpiece worn by the Princess of Wales, but the silver bullion and crystal and silver thread work gave it a laurel wreath tiara look from a distance.

Catherine looked stunnning. I loved her outfit including the headpiece which, as it turns out, was pretty much tiara-like.

Personally I would have preferred a tiara, but it did look beautiful and much better than what I was expecting after hearing she might be wearing flowers. And it matched Charlotte’s so that was probably important to her.

The Princess of Wales always looks stunning but I am disappointed. It was a nice compromise but it is not special enough. A physical tiara itself lasts for centuries. I think a timeless piece would have better reflected the solemnity and importance of this historic event.
There was no tiaras, which means it wasn't decision of PoW, but rather dress code. Were you expecting to wear a tiara even when dress code said no tiaras? :whistling:

There was no tiaras, which means it wasn't decision of PoW, but rather dress code. Were you expecting to wear a tiara even when dress code said no tiaras? :whistling:

I am not disappointed with the PoW but with the dress code. I am disappointed there were no tiaras. She looked wonderful, as always. She is a true beauty, inside and out.

I am not disappointed with the PoW but with the dress code. I am disappointed there were no tiaras. She looked wonderful, as always. She is a true beauty, inside and out.
As much as the tiaras would be nice to see, it was a correct decision to have a coronation that could be, in a context of a coronation, be described as tame.

Amazing tiaras and jewels and wealth on display on the same day as Premier League fans are organizing food banks ahead of games... not good optics.

In hindsight, it would have looked odd if the Princess of Wales were the only lady in the Abbey wearing a diamond tiara.

In the addition to not looking ostentantious, I believe the "no tiaras" rule was also meant to make the ceremony more inclusive. For the (British and foreign) royals, wearing tiaras is no big deal since they own plenty of diadems, but today's congregation was not one of duchesses, marchionesses and countesses, but rather of first ladies, politicians or wives of politicians, actresses, TV personalities, community leaders, etc., who probably don't own grand jewels. I think it is better to have everybody in morning dress, which is common in the UK at weddings and so on, than to have a few people wearing historic grand jewels while others might not even have a long gown or tails to wear for the occasion. Mixed dress codes as we have seen in royal events in other countries (the Netherlands, Sweden, etc.) are not harmonious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom