The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duchess of Gloucester (one of my favorite British royal ladies) always has lovely jewelery. Since her late father in law was a third son...where did they get it from. Was it the late Princess Louise and another Princess ---- didn't the present Duke inherit it from her?)

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio said:
I have only seen the Duchess of Gloucester wearing three! With one of them, she changes the gem, sometimes a large emerald and another times, a large pink gem, I suppose a pink diamond?

The pink gem is a kunzite, not a diamond. I think a diamond that size would be bigger than Granny's Chips!

I think she does not at all like the Turquoise parure. I don't blame her if so. I do not like Turquoise gems at all. I have only seen her wearing that once, but forgive me because I am not as avid a jewel watcher as so many of you! :)

With the bright colours of the stones, the turquoise tiara probably isn't very easy to match with her gowns. It's also a fairly big tiara, like the one she inherited from Princess Marie Louise, which she hardly ever wears either, so maybe she just prefers the smaller ones.

Elspeth said:
The pink gem is a kunzite, not a diamond. I think a diamond that size would be bigger than Granny's Chips!

Kunzite! Now there is a gem one doesn't hear about from the ordinary course of things! Quite right, a diamond as large as that :ohmy:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Kunzite! Now there is a gem one doesn't hear about from the ordinary course of things! Quite right, a diamond as large as that :ohmy:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spodumene is a pyroxene mineral consisting of lithium aluminium inosilicate - LiAl(SiO3)2 - and is a source of lithium. It occurs as colourless to yellowish, purplish or lilac kunzite (see below), yellowish-green or emerald-green hiddenite, prismatic crystals, often of great size. Single crystals over 10 m in size are reported from the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Crystals form in the monoclinic system and are typically heavily striated parallel to the principal axis. Crystal faces are often etched and pitted with triangular markings.
Spodumene is derived from the Greek, meaning "burnt to ashes," owing to the opaque, ash-grey appearance of material refined for use in industry.
Spodumene occurs in lithium rich granites and pegmatites. Transparent material has long been used as a gemstone with varieties kunzite and hiddenite noted for their strong pleochroism. Source localities include Brazil, Madagascar, USA (North Carolina, California), Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

I remembered to read somewhere that Queen Mary gave the Palmette Tiara to Alice, Duchess of Glouchester and the Sapphire to someone other (maybe Maragaret, but I'm not sure)

tiaraprin said:
I do agree with you, but each child has to have some piece of their heritage. They are still family and will probably attend private events where the Jewels and Tiaras come out. I believe each Royal Duchess and Princess Michael should bequeath certain things back to the crown, and give the others to their respective children.

I think Queen Mary (she gave most of the pieces) had one piont in her head by doing so. She gave all her children a complete set of jewels with the conection of her family background of the "old royal family". She couldn't know that not only fasion altered in such modern style and that tiaras came mostly out of fashion. ( only worn during state events etc.)
And that the 3rd and 4th generation would became only "lady" or so and merry commoners was in my opinion unthinkable.

QM would have definitely known about that last bit, because it was her own husband that made that change (prior to this great-grandchildren of a british sovereign were princes styled "HH).

I read in the book "The Queen's Jewels" that the pink stone is a beryl.

Queen Mary's intent was for each of her children to have pieces of the royal collection for their future descendants (with the obvious exception of The Duke of Windsor). Given all of the jewels she collected during her long reign as Queen Consort and Dowager Queen, she had plenty to pass on.

Queen Mary's intent was for each of her children to have pieces of the royal collection for their future descendants (with the obvious exception of The Duke of Windsor). Given all of the jewels she collected during her long reign as Queen Consort and Dowager Queen, she had plenty to pass on.

It makes me sad to think that the Duke of Windsor had to be an "obvious exception". I've read in many accounts that the Duke of Windsor got all along with his sister Princess Mary and brother Prince George, Duke of Kent the best, but after the Abdication he badly fell out with Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. But I have not read anywhere what the cause of their falling out was. Was Prince Henry just angry about David marrying Wallis or what? I read that David kept in close touch with Mary and George, and even with King George VI, but he never again had good relations with Prince Henry.
It's so sad.

I think he had some problems keeping in touch with the Duke of Kent because Princess Marina flat refused to acknowledge Wallis.

In Princess Alice's autobiography she said something about the Gloucesters having arranged to meet the Windsors on their way back from Africa or something, as a test of public opinion, and apparently the Gloucesters received hate mail as a result. Also it didn't sound as though the meeting was wildly successful. On the other hand, I'm not sure that the Duke of Windsor and the Duke of Gloucester were all that close as children; the three eldest (Princes Edward and Albert and Princess Mary) were a threesome, and then as they got older Edward drew closer to George, so it seems as though he always had a more distant relationship with Henry Gloucester than with the other siblings.

I think he had some problems keeping in touch with the Duke of Kent because Princess Marina flat refused to acknowledge Wallis.

In Princess Alice's autobiography she said something about the Gloucesters having arranged to meet the Windsors on their way back from Africa or something, as a test of public opinion, and apparently the Gloucesters received hate mail as a result. Also it didn't sound as though the meeting was wildly successful. On the other hand, I'm not sure that the Duke of Windsor and the Duke of Gloucester were all that close as children; the three eldest (Princes Edward and Albert and Princess Mary) were a threesome, and then as they got older Edward drew closer to George, so it seems as though he always had a more distant relationship with Henry Gloucester than with the other siblings.

It is sad how sometimes people allow insecurities and public opinion to ruin personal relationships. Thank you for answering my questions about this, even though it's so far off topic. I become really sad whenever David comes up. He was treated so harshly. :sad:

She has an impressive amount of jewlery.

The Duchess of Gloucester does have an impressive collection of jewels to choose from. It is hard to say which is my favorite--it doesn't matter, it'll change tomorrow. But, what a wonderful collection! And, it appears that everything that Queen Mary gave the Gloucesters has remained in their family. That is impressive.

I guess for now the Gloucesters have enough income from the leasing out of Barnwell Manor. Or did they sell it? The Duchess is very good about recycling her outfits and never has been a spendthrift. I think they are very responsible about finances. Plus they have a hefty six-figures annually for their official duties. We should hope, however, that the Earl of Ulster is making his fortune so that when the Duke dies, the inheritors won't need to sell off this wonderful jewelry.

IWe should hope, however, that the Earl of Ulster is making his fortune so that when the Duke dies, the inheritors won't need to sell off this wonderful jewelry.
Let's see, three kids, 6 tiaras that we know of, and a treasure-trove of very serious trinkets. How many tiaras/necklaces/brooches etc will each of them actually need?
While ever the UK retains death duties an auction or two is inevitable I'm afraid, but hopefully not for a very long time.

The Duchess of Gloucester wore a fine assortment of turquoise gemstone jewelry on 1 October 2007 to the opening of the Harman Center for the Arts in Washington, DC. The turquoise gem is a new item of interest to me. I have been reading about it here and also here.

Rex Picture

Her favorite pearl beaded necklace (also from Rex)
I can understand why she likes this item. It matches everything I imagine. Very practical piece. And popular, I suppose. I recall Diana often wearing one just like it and have seen others countless times on countess people. But I admit I never thought anything of it until I saw The Duchess wearing it so much. Does anyone know what kinds of pearls these are?

Last edited:
I really like HRH the Duchess of Gloucester's tiaras. Can someone post all her tiaras or a link I can go to. Thanks.

Hi Shy Andy,
See also the first few posts in this thread, but also here are some great links with pics and info. about the jewelry.

The Leafage Parure
Tiara with matching bow or knot brooch, wedding set presented to Princess Alice from Prince Henry

Turquoise Parure
Another wedding present of Princess Alice but from Queen Mary, this parure includes ncludes tiara, two bow brooches, gold bangle, collets, cluster necklace, cluster earrings.

The most worn by The Duchess

Last edited:
Dress colors with Turquoise jewels

Turquoise Parure
Another wedding present of Princess Alice but from Queen Mary, this parure includes ncludes tiara, two bow brooches, gold bangle, collets, cluster necklace, cluster earrings.

It must be difficult to find a dress that will work with the color of these jewels. What colors do the ladies who have turquoise jewels usually wear?

Hi CasiraghiTrio,

Thank you for posting the links. HRH does have an impressive collection.

The Duchess of Gloucester beautiful? I think not. She looks cold and distant - not even attractive.

The Duchess of Gloucester beautiful? I think not. She looks cold and distant - not even attractive.

It's a shame you think that because from all I read of her she is unassuming & reserved, yet warm and interested in people she meets. She is also rather intelligent. I think for a lady in her 60's she is looking very good, and is indeed and attractive lady. Maybe she doesn't have flashy film star looks but she is by no means UN-attractive.

On the contrary, I find her beautiful - in fact, she seems to become more attractive as she ages.
She seems reserved - she is not like the Rent-a-Kents (Michael and Marie Christine) who would attend the opening of an envelope.
Her collection of royal jewels is breath-taking! She wears them all very well. For someone who married a minor (at that time) royal and was content to foresee a quiet life, she adapted well to the untimely death of her brother-in-law and the prospect of her own husband's sudden ascent as the heir to the Dukedom of Gloucester.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76666&d=1105109018

I can't wait to see this tiara with her new hairstyle. Has anyone seen her wear any tiaras with her new hairstyle. Its very flattering to her!
The new hairstyle of the Duchess would look really good with this tiara on for sure. :) I think she wore one Tiara for a Banquet on the Coronation of Tonga King George, you can find a picture on ANP Photo, but unfortunately the photo is pretty small, so I can't really say which tiara did she opt for the occasion.

She's remarkably young-looking as well, and better-looking than she was when she was younger. She seemed to look quite "mousy" when she and Prince Richard were first married but grew into her role remarkably well.:flowers:

It's a shame you think that because from all I read of her she is unassuming & reserved, yet warm and interested in people she meets. She is also rather intelligent. I think for a lady in her 60's she is looking very good, and is indeed and attractive lady. Maybe she doesn't have flashy film star looks but she is by no means UN-attractive.

How many tiaras she has? I saw her in turquoise tiara, Leafage tiara and her favourite diamond tiara ( I don't know how it is called). At state gala for president of Mexico she wore quite a big diamond tiara which is unknow for me. Can anybody help me with this question?

I don't know how many tiaras she has but she does have a nice selection of jewelry considering she's a minor royal. Good for her!
I like how the Duchess and her family lead a very low key lifestyle.

Andrew24, Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Gloucester wore Princess Marie-Louise Indian Tiara from Cartier. Prince Marie-Louise was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, the fourth child of Princess Helena and Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein. The tiara is lavishly filled with sapphires and diamonds.
The Princess Marie-Louise wore this tiara for the 1953 Coronation of the present Queen. She died in 1956 and was godmother to Prince Richard, the later and present Duke of Gloucester. I don't know whether she bequeated the tiara to Prince Alice or to the Duke, but it became property of the Gloucesters and the tiara is worn now by the present Duchess, as she did for the Brazilian State Banquet in March.

Back
Top Bottom