The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's using the Honeysuckle Tiara with a central emerald

I prefer this tiara with the Emerald central piece as it stands out more!

The Cartier Indian tiara was actually made for the Countess of Granard (an American heiress, Beatrice Livingston Mills) who gave the tiara to Cartier in exchange for another tiara.

I think they have not the occasions to wear big Jewellry. They are also rather pruivate and we only see them a big Events like the Jubilee's or sometimes at Trooping.
Well, "major Royals" don´t wear "big" jewels very often these days, too. In the old days state visits were much more frequent, tiaras have been worn also for official, not only for state, visits and full Regalia has also been worn for return banquets.
When it comes to your remark that royal ladies like the Gloucesters or the Kents, remember that the Duchess wore a tiara for two engagements during this last state visits while The Queen, the Pcss of Wales and Sophie Wessex wore their big jewelry only once...

Yes, I do too. I also think this quiet, lovely couple were such a devoted and loyal couple that the late Queen Elizabeth II could always rely upon them. So happy to see them here as, to me, they have always been a shining example of class and decorum in their public roles as royals.

I agree, the version with the emerald is probably the best of the current options. The emerld provides a focal point on what is actually quite a large and imposing tiara, lending it a certain cohesiveness of design the other options lack.

Birgitte's tiara appearances in 2022:

1 2

She's using the Honeysuckle Tiara with a central emerald

The Duchess of Gloucester (or rather the Duke) inherited this tiara from HH Princess Marie Louise (née of Schleswig-Holstein).

The Duchess of Gloucester (or rather the Duke) inherited this tiara from HH Princess Marie Louise (née of Schleswig-Holstein).

Not the honeysuckle tiara which was a wedding gift to Princess Alice from Queen Mary. The Cartier Inidian tiara comes from Princess Marie Louise

The Cartier Indian tiara was actually made for the Countess of Granard (an American heiress, Beatrice Livingston Mills) who gave the tiara to Cartier in exchange for another tiara.

What was the replacement tiara that the Countess of Grannard got?

I wonder if many - many MANY - many years from now, any of the Gloucester jewellery will find its way back into the Royal vaults, because goodness me Birgitte over the years has worn stunning absolutely stunning pieces, I expect most of it dating back from her mother-in-law since there was only one married Gloucester Prince in the next generation, unlike the three Kents.

With respect, I can't see the need for the Gloucester's three children to wear such statement pieces, they seem such a quiet family who only appear on the periphery of royal events rather than the social pages like some of the Kent grandchildren. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

I've seen the current DoG in FIVE tiaras over the years (not counting the different versions of the Honeysuckle). She might have worn more, but that's my count.

I wonder if many - many MANY - many years from now, any of the Gloucester jewellery will find its way back into the Royal vaults, because goodness me Birgitte over the years has worn stunning absolutely stunning pieces, I expect most of it dating back from her mother-in-law since there was only one married Gloucester Prince in the next generation, unlike the three Kents.

With respect, I can't see the need for the Gloucester's three children to wear such statement pieces, they seem such a quiet family who only appear on the periphery of royal events rather than the social pages like some of the Kent grandchildren. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

I've seen the current DoG in FIVE tiaras over the years (not counting the different versions of the Honeysuckle). She might have worn more, but that's my count.

Indeed an impressive collection, even much better than many other royal families collections... But most likely, I think there will be a big auction when time comes... sadly.

But most likely, I think there will be a big auction when time comes... sadly.

I think you are correct. The next generation of Gloucester's are unlikely to have much use for the jewellery, so will probably be happy to monetise it all.

It depends on their finances which is a personal thing and I don’t think the BRF will buy them back. In any case, the tiaras aren’t that historic, some are commissions or gifts from Queen Mary and Princess Louise of Schleswig. If the Gloucester children can afford to keep them then that’s fine. If they can’t, oh well.

I can see the Cartier Indian Tiara ending up in the V&A Museum or the like.

In any case, the tiaras aren’t that historic, some are commissions or gifts from Queen Mary and Princess Louise of Schleswig. If the Gloucester children can afford to keep them then that’s fine. If they can’t, oh well.

Their turquoise Parurer is quiet historic as it comes from Queen Mary's parents the Duke and Duchess of Teck.

Last edited:
Their turquoise Parurer is quiet historic as it comes from Queen Mary's parents the Duke and Duchess of Teck.

Even if the children don't 'need' the money they still might sell as they just won't use those jewels. I agree that it would be nice that if there is an auction that the turquoise parure returns to the main line, although it's not probable that Charles would buy it IMO.

Last edited:
What I really mean by historic is jewels owned by monarchs before Queen Alexandra

Is there no chance the turquoise parure might be willed back to the Crown?

If the Gloucesters have already made agreements with King Charles on that we won’t know yet. If the Gloucesters want to do that or if Charles asks them

Of course jewellery can be willed back to King Charles or the Crown. But I suspect the Gloucester's and their children would prefer the jewellery be sold at an open auction with a view to maximise the value that can be secured from their sale.

I doubt that the children of the Duke and Duchess will be in need of extensive Gloucester jewellery collection and will probably sell off most of it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom