The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also do not believe we will be seeing the Gloucester jewels move away from the family anytime soon.

Definitely not while the current Duke and Duchess are still living, but after they die, Alexander will succeed to the Dukedom and have no need for such a large and valuable collection of jewels. At that point, it is very likely they will be auctioned off to raise funds and pay death duties.

The Gloucesters are not rich by any means and the money will be welcome to secure their futures.

As well as pay the death taxes. I believe that was the reason (at least the announced reason) the Kents auctioned off many of their parents' things, and why Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto auctioned off many of Princess Margaret's old possessions. It's unfortunate (I'd really hate to see some of the tiaras leave the royal family) but I think it's the most likely.

Duchess of Gloucester at the Indian State Banquet:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Look at all these pieces! The honeysuckle tiara with the kunzite! The necklace! the kunzite brooch! The bracelet! The earrings! The shash brooch!!! I do love seeing her all jeweled up.

Closer pic of hte tiara--beautiful, beautiful! The necklace with all those gorgeouse stone--not quite sure what's going on the sash brooch. And, I adore those earrings.

side view of tiara.
Love the Kunzite stones

A gorgeous piece and combined with the turquoise and diamond necklace, the effect is so regal.

Those emeralds are so gorgeous! Wish we got to see them more often!!

Duchess of Gloucester's Brooch - FOR SALE?

It would appear that a diamond brooch belonging to the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester is to be sold at auction.

LOT 1759
ANOTHER PROPERTY
IMPORTANT ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCH, CIRCA 1860

The delicately crafted ribbon brooch centring on an Old Mine-cut diamond weighing approximately 5.00 carats, supporting a fringe of six pear-shaped diamonds together weighing approximately 8.20 carats, to an openwork ribbon set with circular-cut diamonds together weighing approximately 16.00 carats, mounted in silver-topped gold.

Sotheby's - Catalogue

So sad to me. I wish I could buy it!

:previous:Note that the provenance describes this brooch as "formerly from the property of H.R.H. Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, aunt to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II."

Maybe this was sold after the death of Princess Alice, and now the seller has put it up for auction?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful crafted brooch; I love these type of knot brooches. Very antique and detailed.

I Like Very Much Floral Diamond Necklace , Very Antique Very Unique , Gorgeous Necklace I Thing It’s Worth it The Price , Thank You NC Kidd for Sharing :flowers:

NC Kidd said:
It would appear that a diamond brooch belonging to the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester is to be sold at auction.

LOT 1759
ANOTHER PROPERTY
IMPORTANT ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCH, CIRCA 1860

The delicately crafted ribbon brooch centring on an Old Mine-cut diamond weighing approximately 5.00 carats, supporting a fringe of six pear-shaped diamonds together weighing approximately 8.20 carats, to an openwork ribbon set with circular-cut diamonds together weighing approximately 16.00 carats, mounted in silver-topped gold.

Sotheby's - Catalogue

So this beautiful brooch sold for approximately £152,000.00 !!!

Always makes me sad when an antique piece such as this has to be sold off. It was a wedding gift to Alice Duchess of Gloucester in 1935.

I guess the Gloucester family needs the money which is a shame when they have to sell items like these.

Is this the Duke and Duchess selling now, or is it a resale by a purchaser of a piece previously sold?

The catalogue doesn't say, so it could be a resale from another owner. Either way, it's a piece that might have been sold by the Gloucesters at an indeterminate time and it's too bad it's out of the family.

Last edited:
The catalogue doesn't say, so it could be a resale from another owner. Either way, it's a piece that might have been sold by the Gloucesters at an indeterminate time and it's too bad it's out of the family.

I have read somewhere - I think it may have been on here, that the pictures on another website were taken from the Auctioneer's website, so perhaps it has been sold for some time and we were just unaware of it. It is a lovely piece but I cannot imagine the Duchess of Gloucester nor her daughters wearing it. Opportunity gone now! I agree - very sad and I suppose most of the collection will disappear in the same way eventually.

The Brooch Really Magnificent , I Like It Very Much , Thanx For Posting

The Diamond Brooch

Formerly owned by the late Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester

"The delicately crafted ribbon brooch centring on an Old Mine-cut diamond weighing approximately 5.00 carats,
supporting a fringe of six pear-shaped diamonds together weighing approximately 8.20 carats,
to an openwork ribbon set with circular-cut diamonds together weighing approximately 16.00 carats,
mounted in silver-topped gold." Circa 1860.

Attachments

• Brooch.jpg
    Brooch.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
:flowers:

oh this is a lovely thing - I would love to have such a one :angel:

She is lucky to have such a wonderful brooch, it's beautiful.

I don't know why anyone would think that when items like this are sold it's because these families are hard-up (Princess Alice and her husband were very wealthy people). In this day and age very few rich people wear big elaborate jewels anymore. The opportunities to do so are more limited than they were in the past and tastes are also more simple. I'm sure the DOG's children will select certain pieces from her collection when she dies and then sell the rest because it's simply the most sensible thing for them to do.

Not sure how wealthy they really are. They have been renting out Barnwell for several years because they couldnt afford its upkeep. After Alice died there would also have been death duties to pay. Estates and Jewels have value but that is not the same as having ready cash assets.

It looks like it to me, or extremely similar; the diamond separators look very alike. And you can tell how long Mary's neck must have been to wear at least a dozen rows of pearls in that choker without the bottom row touching her chest at all while the Duchess' falls on that area.

Last edited:
It is the same choker. Queen Mary gave the magnificent diamond-and-pearl choker to Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.
It has been passed down the Gloucester line and is currently in possession of the current Duchess.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Gloucester Honeysuckle Tiara

This is not one of my favorites but I do find it interesting. I love how they can change the center. I love the Cullinan V brooch in the center the best. I also love the Honeysuckle and the pink topaz in the center. Not really a fan of the emerald in the center. I like the tiara, but I don't love it. Though, I do love it when the Cullinan brooch is in it. :D

Which did you say was your favorite insert again, CP?:D I actually like it with the honeysuckle insert best, but the other inserts sure give this tiara the pizazz when needed. I think it's a very pretty design, almost like a kokoshnik tiara but nicer.

Lol, Baroness, I would insert the CullinanV whenever or wherever I could!
I too like the honeysuckle design best.

Back
Top Bottom