The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many tiaras are there in the glousester family?
The Gloucesters have the following tiaras that I know of:

- The Honeysuckle Tiara (can be worn in all-diamond version, or with a pink topaz or an emerald in the middle)
- Princess Marie Louise’s Indian Tiara (my personal favourite from the Gloucester collection)
- The Teck Turquoise Tiara (comes with a matching turquoise parure)
- Princess Alice's Tiara (can be worn with diamonds or emeralds)
- The Gloucester Diamond Bandeau
- Queen Mary's Iveagh Tiara

Last edited:
I love a bit of turquoise myself I think they are all stunning though and yes the Indian is gorgeous I can see why you like it Artemisia thanks for the photos.

Gloucester tiaras

1. the diamond bandeau tiara (larger diamonds can be interchanged with emeralds)
2. the "other" diamond tiara - last seen worn by the Countess of Ulster at her wedding in 2002
Thumbnail image cropped from larger photograph.

Attachments

• Gloucester Diamond -Emerald tiara.jpg
    Gloucester Diamond -Emerald tiara.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11,497
  • Countess of Ulster.jpg
    Countess of Ulster.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 9,633
Has the Duchess ever actually worn the Indian tiara? It looks rather heavy and uncomfortable. Usually she seems to appear in the Honeysuckle or the turquoise tiaras. I thought the Iveagh was a wedding present from the Earl of Iveagh to Alice and Henry. How does Queen Mary get linked to the Iveagh?

:previous:
The Duchess of Gloucester wearing the Cartier Indian tiara, provenance of Princess Marie Louise
Thumbnail images cropped from a larger photographs.

Attachments

• UK Gloucester Princess Marie Louise Cartier Tiara.jpg
    UK Gloucester Princess Marie Louise Cartier Tiara.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 7,039
  • Gloucester Cartier Indian tiara.jpg
    Gloucester Cartier Indian tiara.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 18,056
:previous:

Thanks. It still looks heavy and uncomfortable.

Thank you so much

And by looking at these photos there are some Grand necklaces in the family

Has the Duchess ever actually worn the Indian tiara? It looks rather heavy and uncomfortable. Usually she seems to appear in the Honeysuckle or the turquoise tiaras. I thought the Iveagh was a wedding present from the Earl of Iveagh to Alice and Henry. How does Queen Mary get linked to the Iveagh?

The Iveagh tiara was a wedding present to the Duke and Duchess of York who became King George V & Queen Mary.

And by looking at these photos there are some Grand necklaces in the family
The Gloucester necklaces are very adaptable...

Some of the Duchess of Gloucester's Necklaces

1. Diamond necklace with diamond brooch/stomacher
2. Diamond necklace with diamond cross pendant
3. Diamond necklace with Kunzite brooch attached
4. Diamond necklace with diamond and [pearl?/mother of pearl?] pendant
5. Diamond & Turquoise necklace
6. Diamond & Emerald necklace
7. Gloucester Emeralds
8. Gloucester Emeralds (again)

...All thumbnail images are cropped portions from much larger photographs.

Attachments

• 1 Diamond necklace with diamond broochstomacher attached.jpg
    1 Diamond necklace with diamond broochstomacher attached.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 9,991
  • 2. Diamond necklace with diamond cross pendant.jpg
    2. Diamond necklace with diamond cross pendant.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9,074
  • 3. Diamond necklace with Kunzite brooch attached.jpg
    3. Diamond necklace with Kunzite brooch attached.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,986
  • 4. Diamond necklace with diamond and (pearl) pendant .jpg
    4. Diamond necklace with diamond and (pearl) pendant .jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 7,811
  • 5. Diamond & Turquoise necklace.jpg
    5. Diamond & Turquoise necklace.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 9,955
  • 6. Diamond & Emerald necklace.jpg
    6. Diamond & Emerald necklace.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 9,933
  • 7. Gloucester Emeralds.jpg
    7. Gloucester Emeralds.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17,520
  • 8. Gloucester Emeralds.jpg
    8. Gloucester Emeralds.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 15,844
The Duchess has better jewels than some Queens.

The Duchess has better jewels than some Queens.
Yup, it makes me happy to see that in some families the jewels stay in tact. But I fear the next generation will be different:sad:

Yup, it makes me happy to see that in some families the jewels stay in tact. But I fear the next generation will be different:sad:

A very impressive collection,but sadly the next generation may not need so many grand pieces.

A beautiful collection of jewelry that can rival some royal houses. I hate to think that many of these pieces might be eventually sold off if there's no need for them and if there are financial difficulties.

Last edited:
I love the diamond bandeaus, with one being worn in the picture by the Countess of Ulster. Lighter weight but still sparkly and elegant. Yes, these people have jewels!

the Duchess of Gloucester is indeed very lucky to think of the amount and variety of the jewels she has - i think she has access to 6 tiaras. If you look at the Belgian royal family they would be lucky to have that number in total between all the ladies.

It will be a shame to see these tiaras being sold off to pay inheritance tax after the Duke's death. His mother had the right idea to pass on the family jewels and tiaras to her son and daughter-in-law when the old Duke of Gloucester died - therefore avoiding a hefty tax thus the collection has remained intact.

I think I am in love with all her jewels.....

The duchess turnés 67 years
There is a wonderful collection in the family.
I hope we Will see them on her dughters in the future

A beautiful collection of jewelry that can rival some royal houses. I hate to think that many of these pieces might be eventually sold off if there's no need for them and if there are financial difficulties.

Unfortunately, this is likely to happen once Brigitte and Richard have both passed on. The death duties will be substantial and the considerable monies that could be earned from auctioning the jewels are likely to be very tempting as they are far from rich.

Its just exquisite. The workmanship and the "look " itself is so stunning and sparkley. I love it!

Its unique but I'm not sure if I like it,the jury is still out! I'll have a look and see if I can find some more photo's of it.

I think it is lovely, and I would love to see it somehow end up to the main line of the BRF - Camilla would do it justice!

Did anybody get to see pictures of the tiara that the Duchess used whilst hosting the banquet at the Guildhall for the President of Ireland?

No one of their 3 Children will wear later these many tiaras .

The Gloucester collection is one of the most extensive outside of the main royal collection - and it will be a shame that there will be no use for the children in the years to come to wear the man tiaras. the collection will likely be sold unless it is gifted back to main royal collection

Back
Top Bottom