The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a bandeau lover I'm happy, it's one of those I really want to see it in colour.

What a treat the Duchess had in store for us. I wonder why it stayed hidden for such a long time. It is such a lovely tiara!

Oh, wow, that looks wonderful on her! (And the Duchess is pretty elegant to begin with.)

Over the years I've seen Duchess Birgitte in 6 tiaras, or 8 if you want to count the one that has three different settings of the main stone.

Quite the choice for a 'junior' Royal.

Was the Gloucester Diamond Emerald Bandeau originally possessed by Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester?

I am just thinking loud, but, could Birgitte have worn this bandeau for other functions earlier? Because she is rarely photographed. And for many events there have been zero pictures of her. Just wondering. She has one of the best collections of Europe for sure, but the future for this is not very bright.

I am just thinking loud, but, could Birgitte have worn this bandeau for other functions earlier? Because she is rarely photographed. And for many events there have been zero pictures of her. Just wondering. She has one of the best collections of Europe for sure, but the future for this is not very bright.

She has a better collection than some European queens actually. I mean no disrespect for Lady Davina and Lady Rose, but hopefully she will leave most of her grand jewels to her son, the future Duke of Gloucester, and he will keep them in the family.

She has a better collection than some European queens actually. I mean no disrespect for Lady Davina and Lady Rose, but hopefully she will leave most of her grand jewels to her son, the future Duke of Gloucester, and he will keep them in the family.

I don't know if any of the Gloucester children will have much use for the jewellery. I suspect, in time, it will be sold, with the family retaining a few pieces that either have sentimental value to them, or they think they will use.

What a delightful emerald tiara

I long live in hope that the Gloucesters might leave the main tiaras to the crown to go back to the royal family line rather than their children who will have no role in the future monarchy (bar private family events)

Those pieces won’t come for free to their children… The inheritance taxes is enormous on those pieces so they will most likely sell the jewels they won’t have any need for… As Alex, Rose and Davina will never be working royals and never be expected to attend any state banquets, the first jewels to be auctioned off will be the tiaras i’m afraid…

But both Richard and Birgitte seems perfectly healthy for their age, so that day is hopefully many many years away

Last edited:
I agree, that day will be way off; the Gloucesters both look hale and hearty.

However, when the family does sell the tiaras (if they do), then I hope they give 'first refusal' to the Royal Family.

What a delightful emerald tiara

I long live in hope that the Gloucesters might leave the main tiaras to the crown to go back to the royal family line rather than their children who will have no role in the future monarchy (bar private family events)

Just wondering if there is much of a precedence for this and whether gifting in this way would exempt the children from inheritance tax? In theory, the tiaras could then be loaned to the family for occasions such as a wedding.

Those pieces won’t come for free to their children… The inheritance taxes is enormous on those pieces so they will most likely sell the jewels they won’t have any need for… As Alex, Rose and Davina will never be working royals and never be expected to attend any state banquets, the first jewels to be auctioned off will be the tiaras i’m afraid…

But both Richard and Birgitte seems perfectly healthy for their age, so that day is hopefully many many years away
No, if she has gifted them 7 years before she or Richard die, then no tax will be paid. I’m sure they have trusts

True but I’ve heard it can be investigated if the authorities think its been gifted purely as a tax dodge- so if they did do that for the tiaras Birgitte would likely have to stop wearing them all together. Notice how Princess Margaret did that with her mustique home (at a point she was getting perhaps too old to travel there regularly) but not her jewels which were sold at auction after her death to cover the inheritance tax on them.

True but I’ve heard it can be investigated if the authorities think its been gifted purely as a tax dodge- so if they did do that for the tiaras Birgitte would likely have to stop wearing them all together. Notice how Princess Margaret did that with her mustique home (at a point she was getting perhaps too old to travel there regularly) but not her jewels which were sold at auction after her death to cover the inheritance tax on them.
Well Princess Margaret by that time stopped attended or wearing tiaras to events and she did pass on assets to her children many years before she passed. Princess Margaret’s son sold the Mustique home for money, not because of the tax. Yes they sold the jewels to pay the tax, but they sold a bit more jewels because they wanted a bit more money. It wasn’t just for the tax. Anyways, they probably placed the jewels in trusts and probably gifted items to their children anyways long before they will pass on

Birgitte's tiara appearance in 2023:

1 | 2

The Duchess of Gloucester really has a wonderful jewel selection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom