Star Tiaras

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julia

Royal Highness
English. c. 1870, remounted 1937, gold, silver, diamonds, button pearls.

This tiara has quite a bit of history attached (no pun intended) to it. I will type it up later!

Attachments

• MoutnbattenStarTiara.jpg
    MoutnbattenStarTiara.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,368
As worn by the future Countess Mountbatten of Burma. She was photographed by Cecil Beaton in 1937 for a Vogue article on society women at the time of George VI's coronation.

Attachments

• Mountbatten.jpg
    Mountbatten.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 16,992
Commentary on the Mountbatten Star Tiara:

From engrailed paved diamond circlet rise five five-pointed stars similarly paved and centered on a button pearl with a raised border. Made famous by the Empress Elizabeth of Austria, who was painted by F.X. Winterhalter (1865) wearing stars on her hair pinned to a black velvet bandeau, stars sparkling with diamonds have been favored ever since. These were given by the daughter of Queen Victoria, Princess Louise, duchess of Argyll to her goddaughter and niece, Princess Victoria of Hesse, and the marchioness of Milford Haven, married to the First Sea Lord Prince Louis of Battenberg. She was on a visit to her sister, the Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna in 1914 when war was declared and she had to leave for home in a great hurry. Since the jewels would have been a responsibility, the Tsarina suggested they should be left behind in her care. As is well known, the revolution of 1917 led to the disappearance of many valuables in Russia, including the Battenberg jewels, which were never seen again. Princess Louise therefore gave Princess Victoria this tiara to replace what had been lost. It then descended to her daughter-in-law, Edwina, future Countess Mountbatten of Burma, who had the stars remounted in a more modern style in the mid-1930s. She in turn gave the tiara to her daughter, Patricia, the present Countess Mountbatten of Burma, as a wedding present upon her marriage to Lord Brabourne in 1946. She wore it to the court ball held at Buckingham Palace to celebrate the marriage of the future Queen Elizabeth II with the duke of Edinburgh in 1947, and it has been worn by her daughters and daughters-in-law at their weddings. Diana Scarisbrick.

Princess Maxima wearing the "star" tiara at the wedding of Princess Martha-Louise to Ari Behn.

Attachments

• maximeprofb.jpg
    maximeprofb.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3,516
From Corbis.com

Attachments

• Maxima2.jpg
    Maxima2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 531
As worn by the future Countess Mountbatten of Burma. She was photographed by Cecil Beaton in 1937 for a Vogue article on society women at the time of George VI's coronation.

Attachments

• Mountbatten2.jpg
    Mountbatten2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,789
Large pic of the Mountbatten Star Tiara....

Attachments

• Mountbatten.jpg
    Mountbatten.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,893
Grand Duchess of Hesse
(the Duke of Edinburgh's late sister)

Attachments

• GDHesse.jpg
    GDHesse.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4,763
Last edited:
The pictures are wonderful!! Do you know of any others? I think one Italian Queen had a Star Tiara but I can't remember her name at all :)

You are most welcome! I adore star themed tiaras and have had a bit of trouble finding many. According to Diana Scarisbrick, she wrote Tiara, the star-themed tiara became very popular after Empress Elizabeth of Austria was seen in a portrait wearing stars on a black velvet bandeau. If they did become popular where did they all go? To the pawn shop? Maxima's, GD of Hesse and the Mountbatten tiara are the only three I can think of....

I think I know which queen you are speaking of but I will have to look! ;)

From one of Josefine's fantastic posts. I hope that one of the royal houses purchased these and will use them in a tiara setting. Just gorgeous.

MEASUREMENTS
subsequently rhodium plated, the five larger stars may be mounted as a tiara on the provided frame, the two smallest stars are mounted as earrings, screwdriver and extra brooch and pendant fittings provided, fitted tiara case by A. Dragsted, Copenhagen.

DESCRIPTION
The stars graduated in size from twelve to sixteen points, each decorated with circular- and single-cut diamonds with a larger circular-cut stone collet-set at the centre

Dragsted, jeweller to the Royal Danish Court, was founded in 1854 by Arent Nicolai Dragsted. His two sons continued the business and included the Russian emperor among their clients. The company is still owned and run by the family today.

It is understood that this tiara once belonged to Ulla Poulsen, a ballerina with the Royal Danish Theatre.

Attachments

• Stars.jpg
    Stars.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 982
I credited the wrong MB. It's actually from a post on this site. Sorry!

Attachments

• neat.JPG
    neat.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 693
According to the Royal Jewel's website, there is a star tiara in the Danish family, "Queen Sophie's Star Tiara"
but I've no idea who's inherited it or if it's in the family trust. Also, the pictures aren't that clear.

Hey Fireweaver.

I completely forgot about "Queen Sophie's Tiara"! :blush: You're quite right about the pics being a little blurry. I wonder if Princess Alexandra and her sister Princess Nathalie share the tiara since both are seen wearing it?

Queen Ingrid wearing the tiara....

Attachments

• QueenSophie__sStarTiara.jpg
    QueenSophie__sStarTiara.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 4,755
Does that mean Princess Benedikte has inherited the tiara? If so, I doubt Mary, or CP Frederik's bride, would get a chance to wear it, so they'd still need a new one :)
I wonder what a star tiara with sapphires would look like. I mean, the diamonds are gorgeous of course, but maybe diamond stars on a sapphire and diamond band, or maybe like Q. Sophie's tiara only with sapphire stones interspurced with the stars?

A star tiara that I believe was part of the V&A exhibit this past year.....

Attachments

• tiara.jpg
    tiara.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,867
From Danjel Site: Queen Maria Pia's Star Tiara from Portugal.

My Webpage

Attachments

• queenMariaPiaStarTiara.JPG
    queenMariaPiaStarTiara.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 5,725
Hey!

I'm very sorry, but I don't have better pics of Countess Ruth's Star tiara......

But...........Hans and Volker....both have send me a picture of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium with a star tiara, I don't know wheter it's sold or still in the Belgian vaults......

Greetz
Danjel

Attachments

• elisabeth_belgie_ster2.JPG
    elisabeth_belgie_ster2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 700
and the second picture.....

Attachments

• elisabeth_belgie_ster.....JPG
    elisabeth_belgie_ster.....JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,956
Mandy, the picture of Queen Maria Pia's Star Tiara from Portugal is absolutely amazing. It took my breath away! Where is that tiara presently? Has anyone worn it in recent years, like to a wedding or something? I'd like to see a picture of what hairstyle is appropriate/fitting of that wonderous tiara.

Alexandria,
I found Queen Maria Pia's Star Tiara from Portugal on Royalty Danjel's site and I don't have any more information than what is on that site. Perhaps Danjel could answer your questions. Sorry. :(

Hey Fireweaver,

I've got another star tiara.....a few days ago I recieved two envelopes with pictures of all kind of tiara.....I DID include one star tiara.....!!!

Here you'll see Princess Alice of Greece, born Princess of Battenberg, she is the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh...

Attachments

• ENG_Battenberg.jpg
    ENG_Battenberg.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 763
Alexandria,

The Portugese Star tiara has not been worn in recent years...it was only worn by Queen Maria Pia and Queen Amelie. Since Portugal became a Republic (1910) it is exhibited in the Ajuda Palace in Lisboa........if you ever want to go there........

greetz
Danjel

Fireweaver.......

I've found another one!!!

HRH Princess Marie of Greece and Denmark, born Princess Marie Bonaparte.

Princess Marie, who was married to the second son of King George I of Greece, Prince George, was besides a princess also a famous psychoanalist. Here she is depicted in the mid 1950's at an official occasion in Athens.

greetz
Danjel

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,904
:blush:
THANK YOU!!!

Euh, by the way........again two other ones......not really "star-star" tiara's, but I still think they fit in here...

The first one is Princess Anna of Lippe, born Princess von Ysenburg und Büdingen in Büdingen.

Attachments

• lippe.JPG
    lippe.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,485
and the second one, which looks VERY much like the Lippe-tiara.....
This is Duchess Elizabeth of Mecklenburg.

Attachments

• MECK_Duchess_Elisabeth.JPG
    MECK_Duchess_Elisabeth.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 676
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy, happy Birthday Danjel and thank you so much for all of the gorgeous pictures! :clap:

Dear everybody!

Again........a star tiara...........Claes from Sweden send me this wonderful picture of ex-queen Isabella of Spain!

Greetz
Danjel

Attachments

• spanje1.jpg
    spanje1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 465
Hey everybody!

I've found something again!!!

Volker (the picture King :king: ) has send me this pic of Jacqueline Kennedy................yessssssssssssssssssss, with a star.....not quit a tiara, but more a hair ornament...

greetz!

Danjel

Attachments

• JACQUELINE_KENNEDEY.JPG
    JACQUELINE_KENNEDEY.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Back
Top Bottom