Semi-Precious Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately I've become fascinated with Jade. Do any of the European Royal Families own fabulous Jade jewels?

I love the amethyst ones, I think it just such a beautiful jewel. But are there any Garnet ones? I rare see any garnet jewels in general, normal it's always ruby that gets used.

Lately I've become fascinated with Jade. Do any of the European Royal Families own fabulous Jade jewels?
I too love Jade! Imperial jade is so beautiful, it looks like emerald cabachons. I don't know why they are no royal jewels in Jade. If you look on Christies or Sothebys auctions for good jade with diamonds, it is really expensive. Maybe they need some...;)

Royal Opal Jewelry

I´am a great friend of opal jewelry. My mother also ows some very nice opal pieces, but opals are damnd expensive!

I think Queen Elizabeth owns a great opal necklace which was a gift from australia (for her coronation?). Have anyone pictures of this necklace?

:clap:

Do you mean the item that looks like a dinner plate?

It's somewhere in Q. Elizabeth's thread. It was a gift along with a matching pair of earrings from Australia. It looks huge and I think it was said that she's never worn the set.

I was doing some reading. I think this is the Andamooka Opal, which weighs 203 carats. I've been looking for a photo but haven't had any luck... but I'm not one of the photo collectors here!

Found it. Go to the thread called Semi-Precious Royal Jewels, there's a link to it in Post 45, and there it is... in all its hideousness. Great for a geological specimen, not so good as a necklace!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

IT IS INDEED A GREATE PICTURE!!!

The Queen has worn this necklace one time!:ROFLMAO:

Its a shame the necklace is so strange, the earrings are gorgeous!

Although I think the Australians were very generous in giving this piece to H.M., it's just too large to work well as a pendant on a necklace.

I like opals and it would be fun to see her wear a really nice-looking opal set.

Thanks for the great pictures.
I have also a question regarding pearl tiaras (..and I am not talking about the much discussed lovers knot tiara of princess diana...;)). Could someone please post some pictures here of different pearl tiaras still owned by royal families? Thanks.

Opals

I have an opal ring from about 1900. No one in the family will wear it , I adore it but its an old setting and very feminine.... someday I will ask my intended wife to wear it I suppose. My family thinks they are bad luck.

My question is , in all forums , photos and readings , I dont see any opals or even a record of them in the mix? Do the royals ascribe to the curse of the opal too?
Even Wallis didnt go into the opal nad its mysteries...

Anyone know anything?

My understanding is that if you aren't born in October, you're not supposed to wear opals.

...I suspect if you discovered a huge deposit of rubies, all of enormous size the price of that would come crashing to the ground in short order too. Then maybe I could afford a nice ruby paurure or better-or should I say safer-still a ruby aigrette. Perhaps we should do a thread on royal hat pins and aigrettes. Cheers.

Actually, Thomas, just the opposite would be true -- at least in the United States. We can't import any Burmese rubies and have little access to them unless someone opens up a vault after 20 years of hoarding them. The largest Burmese I have found (I collect gemstones) was 2.58 carats and I couldn't afford it!!! I do have a lovely 3.12 Thai. It was very expensive too.

Is there any famous royal jewellery with tanzanite in it? Or is it too modern?

Too modern, it's only been around for 42 years and is somewhat fragile. It would be lovely though. Although it's only 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale, it would be fine for a knockout demi- or full parure. I would hesitate to put a large stone into a ring.

On another note:
I have a solution for the opal set. HM The Queen should gift it to Charlene. She could carry it off without a blink!

Too modern, it's only been around for 42 years and is somewhat fragile. It would be lovely though. Although it's only 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale, it would be fine for a knockout demi- or full parure. I would hesitate to put a large stone into a ring.

On another note:
I have a solution for the opal set. HM The Queen should gift it to Charlene. She could carry it off without a blink!
I would not use Tanzanite (much as I love it) for either a ring or bracelet, due to it's softness....Tiara, earrings, necklace...yes! Bring it to me now!

I have an opal ring from about 1900. No one in the family will wear it , I adore it but its an old setting and very feminine.... someday I will ask my intended wife to wear it I suppose. My family thinks they are bad luck.

My question is , in all forums , photos and readings , I dont see any opals or even a record of them in the mix? Do the royals ascribe to the curse of the opal too?
Even Wallis didnt go into the opal nad its mysteries...

Anyone know anything?

Some say that opals bring bad luck but I don't believe that at all. Usually royal jewels are faceted jemstones.

Opals reputation for bring bad luck is due to their chemical make-up-silicates and water? which renders them susceptible to changes in temperature. I was told, that in the early days of cruising, if one crossed the Equator by ship, one was required to place ones opals into cold storage to prevent them from cracking. Conversely, extreme cold could cause them to shrink and loosen from their settings. They are not my birth stone but I LOVE them.

:previous:

The reputation of opals actually changed in 1829 with the publication of Sir Walter Scott's Anne of Geierstein. In it, a character wears an opal talisman and eventually dies. The novel was very popular and subsequently people began to associate opals with bad luck and death.

Prior to that time, opals were considered to be very lucky stones because it was believed that they possessed all of the associated characteristics of every gemstone whose color was represented in the color spectrum of the opal. (see Wikipedia entry for more info)

:previous:Is there any incidence of someone NOT wearing opals who has NOT died? LOLOLOL

Maybe moonstones?
Martha-Louise's necklace could be chalcedon, moonstone or plastic. Without seeing it in person it is very hard to tell. I lean toward chalcedony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom