Russian Imperial and Noble Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A picture of HIM Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, who I mentioned above:

empress.png

picture is in the public domain.

I'm curious do members of present Romanovs family still have any jewels? I saw some hotos of Grand Duches Maria in pearls but I have never seen any member of present Romanovs in tiara or necklance. Maybe you have some photos?

Thank you Warren, I just saw photos. That's nice that head of Russian Imperial House has some jewels. I stil wait for photos.

Isn't this the tiara Princess Michael wears?

No. This one is in the posession of her grandaughter Archduchess Helen of Austria, née Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach. It was worn by Helen's daughter Sophie and daughter-in-law Maya Askari on their Wedding Days.

Although some of the Romanov jewels ended up by sale in the United Kingdom (most notably the Grand Duchess Wladimir Tiara), Princess Michael of Kent's fringe tiara was a gift from the city of London to her mother-in-law, Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark.

I am sure you know most of this but her daughter bacame Queen Marie of Roumania.
The most I have read about her was in the book "The Last Romanitc".

I am sure you know most of this but her daughter bacame Queen Marie of Roumania.
The most I have read about her was in the book "The Last Romanitc".
Who's daughter?
Missy's parent's were Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (son of Victoria and Albert and Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna (daughter of Alexander II and empress Maria Alexandrovna).

Does anyone have any fotos of the Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna, Duchess of Edinburgh & of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha wearing her magnificent jewels? I recall bumping into this website which had a beautiful portrait of her, the Duke of Coburg and her children attending the coronation of the Tsar Nicholas II in 1896. However, I cannot recall which one it was. I would be most grateful if anyone would be kind enough to post these pictures. Or else any fotos of her in her jewels would be good enough.

I did manage to save the beautiful portrait showing the Duke & Duchess of Edinburgh, the Hereditary Prince Alfred & the Princess Marie & the Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Hesse. I forgot that I had saved the photo into my computer. I'm not sure of the website i had saved it from. :rolleyes: More photos of the bejeweled Grand Duchess Maria please..... anyone.

First of all........ WOW! What a picture.
Who is this.... Missy, Marie, Affie, Ducky.... I am missing some faces...

Queen Marie of Romania purchased some of her relatives' jewels after they left Russia to help them out financially. The most spectacular purchase was Grand Duchess Marie's sapphire tiara, which she left to Princess Ileana. It was later sold by The Princess after WW2.

They had a Faberge exhibit at the portland Art Museum about 3 to 4 years ago here. I was able to see the Imperial Red Cross Easter Egg. What a delight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Paley tiara

Here's an interesting diamond and aquamarine tiara made in 1912 and once belonging to Olga, HSH Princess Paley.

Princess Paley (1865-1929) was the morganatic wife of Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovitch of Russia.
Both her husband and son Vladimir were murdered by the Bolsheviks; she escaped to Finland with her two daughters.
She had quite a collection of jewels, this is one of them.

credit to Luke from RJOTWMB who discovered this in the Sothebys website.

Oh, how beautiful is this diamond and aquamarine tiara! Have the grand-children inherited this tiara?

:previous:
I guess so, and they have since sold it, hence the tiara appearing on the Sotheby's website.
Realistically, it's not the sort of jewellery the average person would have a use for.

Anyone have any idea who bought it? Of course most people would have no use fo this type of jewelry, but the people in a position to buy this kind of stuff aren't average people.

The tiara was made in 1912. Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovitch married Olga Karnovitch, later Princess Paley, in 1902.

Last edited:
It's fascinating how opulent Imperial Russia was to the very last, or close to the very last. That tiara was made in 1912, the revolution occured in 1917. Anyone know who made this tiara?

I think you could turn the tiara around and wear it as a necklace. Its not too much.:D:D

I was told that at the Coronation of the Tsar Nicolas II , the Ambassadors were shocked by the overwhelming jewels of the Empress and the Grand Duchesses.
I think that they saw also how poor the Russians were that that time.

I apologize if this has been discussed in this thread (or elsewhere) before.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across an interesting report about the fate of the Imperial Jewels that were hidden in Kremlin. The greater part of those jewels was later sort by the Communist Government, often for ridiculously low prices. Most of the buyers were from the US and Great Britain.

The article states that some of the most valuable and important pieces were discreetly bought by the British Royal Family, who understood their value and wanted to keep them ‘in the family’. The article was from a credible newspaper which isn't known for making (a lot of) things up.

I was wondering whether anyone could give more information on the subject. :)

I'll see if I can't dig something up, Marsel. Don't forget that HM already inherited a Faberge and other lovely things through May and her buying up Xenia's stash.
Forbes got the motherlode of the Faberge's.

Thank you, Russo! :flowers:
I think the article meant the important, historical pieces (family tiaras, historical jewellery).

Hi Marsel,

Many of the Dowager Empress' jewels were sold to the British royals and the proceeds given to GD's Xenia and Olga. But these were jewels taken out of Russia by the DE herself.

Some jewels and artifacts were sold to Marjorie Merriweather Post, who was the wife of the US Ambassador, Joseph Davies, to the Soviet Union during WWII.
Also, I have heard that Hollywood stars, Mary Pickford and Marion Davies, visited Russia in the 20's and bought some Romanov jewels; but where they would be now is unknown as these two ladies left no descendants.

Larry

I find it very hard to believe that the BRF bought more Jewels than the ones we know of. The Czar and Czarina's collections were plundered when the palaces were looted and the rest when the family was murdered and most sources claim these jewels were sold for the value of the gold and jewels so that there is no way to trace them. The Vladimir Jewels, The Dowager Empress' jewels, GD Maria Pavlovna the Elder, Xenia and possibly some of the Youssoupov's escaped with their jewels but they all needed to sell them in order to live.
I doubt that the BRF bought more than we know about because she had the first pick of the Dowager Empress' pieces and she only took a few of them and the rest were sold to others. These pieces were the Dowager's best and favorite and the firsthand accounts describe them as dazzling. Princess Anne has a sapphire tiara acquired from this collection. Xenia was definitely cheated on the sale of her mother's jewels and it is possible that Queen Mary took other pieces that have never seen the light of day or that we see regularly but don't know the source of. but it seems unlikely that with all she had readily available she'd have gone looking for more to buy.

I was named after Queen Dagmar of Denmark I was born in 1938 & my Uncle came to the U.S. at Baltimore Md. harbor. His name was Valdmar Blumquist of Denmark. He married my father's sister & named me Dagmar after Queen Dagmar of Denmark. Could you give me more info on the Queen & her spouse & family.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a jewels thread. Your question about a Danish Queen and family is better made in the Danish Forums.

Back
Top Bottom