Russian Imperial and Noble Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw that article on MSN, and they said that this has been verified as one of the missing eight eggs, and the sale price of the last egg sold years ago was $18.5 million. The scrap metal dealer bought it for $14K and was going to sell it for the gold at first, then he started getting suspicious as to what he actually had.

I will tell you, I don't get chills very often reading about this stuff, but to think how close this egg came to being destroyed just makes me want to run for the sofa. How could anyone NOT know what the eggs were, no matter what they looked like?

Would love to know how this egg wound up at a Midwestern flea market in America.

I am sitting in shock!! I just can't even imagine!! And my parents and I do Yard Sales and Antique stores like this all the time!! I just...WOW!!

Is this the earliest Egg now known to exist or have the first two made for the Empress Marie been safeguarded somewhere?

I literally can't believe this...Just...Yeah!!

I am always wondering HOW some of these things end up where they end up...if only they could relate their story!

LaRae

I found this story fascinating - how I would love to find a Faberge Egg in a bric-a-brac sale! I wonder why the previous owners of the egg gave it away to the sale, maybe they didn't realize that it was Faberge. I think some of the other eggs are a little over the top, but there are some nice and interesting ones.

Would love to know how this egg wound up at a Midwestern flea market in America.
I think the article embellished things by calling it a the "bric-a-brac stall" (it's the Daily Mail after all) and highly doubt it was really found in a small-town, neighborhood flea market. My guess is that the anonymous discoverer lives somewhere around Chicago. Why? Look at the home picture of the egg on the counter next to the cupcake. I'm almost certain that is a milk chocolate cupcake from Sprinkles.
Cupcake Tower - Party - Sprinkles Cupcakes
It even has the brown tissue paper wrapping and you can see the shape of the Sprinkles sticker label with the frayed edges. And the only Sprinkles location in the Midwest is in Chicago.

The Romanovs' jewels I | Spletnik.ru

This blog entry contains multiple close-ups of some jewels/tiaras. There are portraits of Russian Empresses and Grand Duchess wearing some of the pieces featured.

Last edited:
I found this story fascinating - how I would love to find a Faberge Egg in a bric-a-brac sale! I wonder why the previous owners of the egg gave it away to the sale, maybe they didn't realize that it was Faberge. I think some of the other eggs are a little over the top, but there are some nice and interesting ones.
As I am presently clearing out my recently deceased MIL's house, I will say that sometimes the sheer volume of stuff that comes out of the attic and closets in a case like that, someone might miss what they have. Perhaps they thought it was a costume 'Franklin Mint' type of copy. In our case, while she died at 89, she had also dragged all of her parents and grandparents stuff from Alabama to NY, so there is literally 150 years worth of stuff.

Al bina, That is an amazing link. Could you possible translate under the Lover's Knot tiara, does it identify the pink stone? Looks like a padparascha sapphire it think?

:previous:
It is called "The Diamond tiara with the pink diamond". The pink diamond is 13 carats. The style is kokoshnik. It is the only tiara of XIX-XX centuries that is Russia. Grand Duchesses used it in their wedding ensembles in early XX century.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Russian Pearl Pendant Kokoshnik

This is one of my favorites! This tiara is absolutely breathtaking. I love the shape of the pearls, the kokoshnik shape, the diamond arches, and the way it seems to float over the diamond base. It's regal, grand, and just magnificent.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Russian Wave Pattern Tiara

This tiara is also spectacular! I love the grand and exquisite presence of this tiara. It is also very beautiful as a necklace. The brooch is also stunning. One of my absolute favorites.

Alexandra Feodorovna looks very stylish wearing the Russian Large Pearl Pendant Tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better photo of Maria Vladimirirovna's tiara:

A very beautiful diadem, thanks for the picture!

:flowers:

I think that this is the same diadem she later wore with rubies instead of pearls for an official picture...

That picture shows the tiara better than all the pictures I have seen of it before. And I agree that it looks very much like her ruby tiara. I wonder what happened to this tiara. It seems strange that she hasn't worn it for such a long time. The Grand Duchess now favours the new kokoshnik style tiara with diamonds and pearls. Did she have to sell the wedding tiara at some point? Or does she simply prefer the traditional russian kokoshnik style of the new tiara?

Might her Wedding Tiara have been [whispers it quietly] a Hohenzollern piece ?

Might her Wedding Tiara have been [whispers it quietly] a Hohenzollern piece ?
No idea:flowers:! I have never seen it on any other person, nor have I ever seen her mother-in-law or grandmother-in-law with a tiara. Afaik Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia is the eldest son of an only child. So it is not unlikely that any major jewels of his grand-mother would have gone to him. And his grand-mother's generation certainly still had this kind of jewels.

I think that Maria Vladimirovna and her husband separated comparatively soon after Georgi's birth. I am quite sure that she continued to wear it after the separation. But that is possible if the tiara was an outright wedding present to her.

So it's not impossible, but there is no proof either.

Look what I just found in a forgetten corner of my hard disk:
http://s27.postimg.org/4k2y4w9kz/Maria_Vladimirovna.jpg
Do you also think that it might be a combination of the rubies and the pearls on the same tiara?

Look what I just found in a forgetten corner of my hard disk:
http://s27.postimg.org/4k2y4w9kz/Maria_Vladimirovna.jpg
Do you also think that it might be a combination of the rubies and the pearls on the same tiara?

I don't think these are rubies,but diamonds as she wore it for her wedding...But as the picture is black and white,one can't see it properly...

Rubies she wore in her tiara were,I think,in different shape...

Or does she simply prefer the traditional russian kokoshnik style of the new tiara?

Now,the things with her and Russia have changed over the years and I think due to this connection she opted to wear kokoshnik tiara more than the other one and to show everyone how does she feel...

I may be wrong,but that is just my impression...

Did you get color. It is just a muddy brown for me. What am I missing?

I saw this tiara before I read the post. Here is a photo I found.

Countess, there are no colour photos of this tiara in existance. Those pics date from the time when the early soviets photographed the confiscated jewels and prepared them for auction. So the picture in the blog is an old brownish (sepia) black and white pic. The pic IlovePC posted is the same but colourised with the help of photoshop.

Back
Top Bottom