Royal Tutti Frutti

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
I have a new candidate for "What were they thinking?" Edwina Mountbatten's "Tutti Frutti Bandeau" which is going to be on exhibit at the V&A. (Sorry, I don't have a photo -- Thomas Parkman, can you find one??)

I don't know why this piece was purchased since it's so awful and Edwina Mountbatten was usually very well put together. I noticed that Edwina had another diamond tiara which was auctioned off in 2002. It would be wonderful if Charles could be persuaded to hunt down tasteful Mountbatten pieces for Camilla (to be Camilla's own property).

I have a new candidate for "What were they thinking?" Edwina Mountbatten's "Tutti Frutti Bandeau" which is going to be on exhibit at the V&A. (Sorry, I don't have a photo -- Thomas Parkman, can you find one??)

I don't know why this piece was purchased since it's so awful and Edwina Mountbatten was usually very well put together. I noticed that Edwina had another diamond tiara which was auctioned off in 2002. It would be wonderful if Charles could be persuaded to hunt down tasteful Mountbatten pieces for Camilla (to be Camilla's own property).

Now, I must admit that I truly love the Tutti-Fruitti style by Cartier. There is something whimsical yet substantial about it. Here is some information about Tutti-Fruitti style and some examples:
Juwelen - Schmuck - Jewels |Tutti frutti - Fruit salad

I like the bandeau--but I also readily admit that it is a style you either love or hate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it certainly is colorful. A simple white dress and face whitened sufficiently to set off the whole mess -whoops, fruit basket ???? would be lovely. One could positively look like my side yard, covered with all kinds of colourful baubles. Charming and so very sophisticated.

Sorry, while I can respect the workmanship, it is just too much. Even for such a gemoholic such as myself. I do not care for, except on rare, occassions, engraved gemstones. Why gouge out ridges etc into such lovely goodies. I think it just ruins them. Besides, while I am firmly in favor of men being able to wear tiaras, ( I know I am a minority of one, but this business of discrimination in this day and age on such a serious matter is nothing short of appalling-the sheer hypocrisy is glaring enough to blind you) but even I draw the line with a man walking the streets of Columbia or whatnot with a tutti frutti fruit basket on his head or somewhere on his arm. We still have the CODE here. Were I to do such a thing I would either be committed or shot. Cheers.

call me crazy but I think that bandeau would look amazing on a person wearing all black.
Then again, I'm also about the only RF member that likes Princess Madeleines 'cyclop' tiara...

Call me crazy also, but I love tutti frutti. The Mountbatten set is my absolute favorite.:ROFLMAO:

I do love it, but the fact is most people will either love it or hate it. It's one of the styles that has a more limited audience, I would think. There is just something about the carvings on the stones, and the way they are assembled together--the craftmanship is just remarkable. I wouldn't mind a bracelet or brooch. But, offer me Edwina's bandeau over, say, the Grand Duchess Vladmir Emerald drop tiara--well the emeralds would win hands down.

A post of mine copied from the CP Maxima Jewellery thread

Here's a scan of the cover of the Cartier Exhibition booklet showing the Daisy Fellowes' Cartier Tutti Frutti necklace, created in 1936.
It is made of platinum, briolet-sapphires, carved emeralds, sapphires, rubies, emerald beads, and diamonds.

The Tutti Frutti style is something you either like, or don't. I viewed this necklace up close in Sydney and wasn't impressed; others, however, oohed and aahed.

The ear-pendants (platinum, gold, carved emeralds, enamel beads, and diamonds) have a bit more style.

Tutti Frutti!

Not Royal, but to add substance to the thread and to give an illustration of a different style of tutti frutti with cabochon gems and diamonds:​

Here's a better picture of Maxima's necklace, courtesy of Nawal:​

Last edited:
There was a photo of Caroline of Monaco wearing a set similar to the Fellowes. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Was there a photo of the Tutti Frutti tiara? I only saw bracelets.
I think it looks o-kay with sapphires/rubies, not liking Maxima's set.

I prefer the older tutti-frutti to the more modern--like the necklace worn by Kiera Knightly--it doesn't look right to me.

warren is this picture of Keira Knightly at the oscars?
Yes, correct on both counts :). I'm not a fan of tutti frutti but in this case the diamonds add the much-needed sparkle.

oh, My God!!! What in the world is this slop doing here. It should be on the Worst Jewels Thread. It just cries out for the treatment that only these sublimely vicious and venemous but oh so imaginative comments by the noble members can provide. The thing looks like a Chrismas decoration from Wall Mart or something the poorer masses would decorate their houses with along with all the colored lights and Santa and his entourage of red nosed deer.

It reminds me of nothing so much as what my poor mother who is currently in a medical center recovering from a broken hip would do in her arts and crafts class with all the sweet little old ladies. Of course my mother, after hearing all the compliments and how wonderful her first effort was and telling everybody that she was so pleased and was going to put the thing on a wall in her home promply told me when she got out of there it was junk and to get rid of it. Well we cannot get rid of all those diamonds, rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Lord, how could they. This just takes my breath away. Wannnnnnnnnggghhhh.

I might have misplaced it, I meant it for Worst Jewels! IMO it's certainly a candidate.

Thomas Parkman, if I ever get loose again from the Midwest (I'm praying to!), we'll have to find a place to do high tea together.

The "Tutti Frutti" style is really pretty interesting, and can be quite elegant. The name, though, sounds stupid and is a later term (dating to the 1940s--two decades after the creation of the style by Cartier).

I like the Mountbatten TF tiara, because it is a VERY rare piece; even necklaces in the original Cartier style are extremely uncommon. Mostly one runs across brooches, bracelets, jabot pins, etc...sometimes earrings.

The "Tutti Frutti" style is really pretty interesting, and can be quite elegant. The name, though, sounds stupid and is a later term (dating to the 1940s--two decades after the creation of the style by Cartier).

I like the Mountbatten TF tiara, because it is a VERY rare piece; even necklaces in the original Cartier style are extremely uncommon. Mostly one runs across brooches, bracelets, jabot pins, etc...sometimes earrings.

Thank you, Prince of Chota; I completely agree with everything you said--and the style can be elegant!

http://www.jewelmuseum.com/pics/tkf1112.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the older Tutti-Fruitti, not the newer. The newer looks drab and dull. I think the rule of thumb with Tutti-Fruitti is to wear simple clothing with it to set it off to it's best advantage, otherwise you can't see the jewelry.
You know who'd look GRAND in all the Tutti-Fruitti? The Duchess of Windsor!

I like the older Tutti-Fruitti, not the newer. The newer looks drab and dull. I think the rule of thumb with Tutti-Fruitti is to wear simple clothing with it to set it off to it's best advantage, otherwise you can't see the jewelry.
You know who'd look GRAND in all the Tutti-Fruitti? The Duchess of Windsor!

I couldn't agree more with everything you said--older pieces, simple clothing and the Duchess of Windsor--she looked great in everything and she enjoyed Tutti-Frutti design as well.

call me crazy but I think that bandeau would look amazing on a person wearing all black.
Then again, I'm also about the only RF member that likes Princess Madeleines 'cyclop' tiara...

Actually, Princess Olga, you are not alone in liking Madeleine's "cyclops" tiara.:) As for the tutti frutti -- I think a few of the younger royals could pull it off, mainly the brunettes (if we're talking tiaras or bandeaux) and the darker complected (for necklaces), not sure how well those colorful creations would work with pale skin -- which means Tutti Frutti is out for me :cry:.

Cat

Yes, tutti frutti would have suited the Duchess. I got the auction catalogs and was rather aghast at some of the items she wore. They struck me as rather gaudy and not in good taste at all.

Yes, tutti frutti would have suited the Duchess. I got the auction catalogs and was rather aghast at some of the items she wore. They struck me as rather gaudy and not in good taste at all.
Didn't Elizabeth Taylor end up with a lot of Wallis' jewelry?

Yes, some, but no tutti frutti (the thread subject). :)

Yes, some, but no tutti frutti (the thread subject). :)
Do we know who got the Tutti Fruitti? Or do they want to just be private collectors and not wear it? I would think that a woman would want to show that off. It's stunning after all.

Cartier bought or later acquired the semi-tutti frutti 1947 gold, amethyst, turquoise and diamond necklace. This was also included in the Cartier Exhibition and when I saw it up close I thought it heavy, clunky and ugly. Others loved it.

But Warren, didn't Princess Margaret say the same thing about Liz Taylor's gigantic rock Richard Burton got her until she tried it on? :D

But, Russ, dear heart, the Cartier diamond is not, repeat, NOT, the same thing by any stretch of the imagination as this overdone and putrid slop/waste of fabulous jewels. It is 69 ++++ carats of sheer magic, in a class so far above this gem besplatterd landscape that it can hardly bear comparison. And of course once P. Margaret got over it she agreed in so many words that any woman with that, particularly, (let us be vulgar here) any woman of the stature (loosely interpreted) of El Taylor who placed that diamond upon her person where the ET placed that diamond upon her person could hardly be called somebody wearing something vulgar. It was calculated to stop traffric. And did. T

Whereas this tutti-frutti stuff would be easily mistaken for a stop light and cause all kinds of automoblile accidents due to the confusion and confusions of poor taste. Amethyst, Turquoise, gold and diamonds.????? Shuddeer, shudddeeer. Shuddddddeeer. Cheers.

But Thomas Parkman, I LIKE Tutti Fruitti! (When worn on the Duchess of Windsor!)
Alas! I'll be forever known as a hapless vulgarite! :eek:

:D

Back
Top Bottom