Royal Sapphire Jewelry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRHAmy

Courtier
Well, I've seen there's a favorite ruby jewelry thread and a favorite emerald jewelry thread so I thought there should be a sapphire jewelry thread. Sapphires are my favorite stone (besides the diamond) and I think they should get a special place here. Anyways, post your favorite sapphire jewelry here!:)

I'll start........

I couldn't decided between Princess Diana's sapphire choker:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34385&d=1073474682

And princess Mary's brooch:
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=4f057_polfoto_7cw01l7b_2.jpg

There's also a set from Marie-Antionette that I can't find but it's a large sapphire tiara, brooch, earrings and a huge necklace. Maybe someone else has a picture of it?

as it has always been, princess diana's sapphire choker is the best piece of sapphire jewelry i have seen - whether royal or not.

how many carats is the sapphire in Diana's fabulous sapphire necklace?

i have always wondered since it's so HUGE!

Not 100% positive, but I think Diana's "sapphire necklace" is actually rows of pearls and a sapphire brooch. It is very lovely indeed.

Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Necklace

I love QEII Sapphire Necklace, which was a present from one of the Arab Kingdoms.

empressrouge:
you are right! that is sapphire necklace i had in mind.
i should have written "sapphire choker/brooch."

in which case, does anybody have information regarding the sapphire's carat weight?

secondly,
how many carats is the sapphire in the necklace that was given by the arabian king as a wedding present to diana?

constance said:
secondly,
how many carats is the sapphire in the necklace that was given by the arabian king as a wedding present to diana?

Sorry Constance, I don't know the carat weight of her choker but it looks to me to be around 80-100. Not sure though! Does anybody else know?:)

EmpressRouge said:
Not 100% positive, but I think Diana's "sapphire necklace" is actually rows of pearls and a sapphire brooch. It is very lovely indeed.
Yes, EmpressRouge, the sapphire was the Queen Mother's wedding present to Diana: "a duck egg of an ink-blue sapphire, surrounded by a double row of diamonds and mounted as a brooch." Diana, who was not partial to brooches, later had it mounted on seven strands of pearls as a wide choker.

Diana's other huge sapphire was part of the wedding gift from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. "On a narrow diamond necklace hung a deep blue Burmese sapphire surrounded by an open sunburst of diamonds."

Source: "The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes

To be so lucky to get this brooch as part of your wedding gifts

Princess Mary's brooch is my favourite, it is so beautiful.

The Cambridge sapphire parure is/was lovely. But I've seen very few pictures of it, and only in b+w :mad: .

I have three favourites - Queen Mary's Russian Brooch, Queen Elixabeth the Queen Mother's Leaf brooch and finally The Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia's brooch - it's a combination of a pearl, diamonds and a sapphire - what could be more perfect than that. :)
They are all stunning and colour photos can be found in "The Queen's Jewels - The Personal Collection of Elizabeth II by Leslie Field. It's one of my favourite books - there are some absolute magnificent pieces of jewellery in it.

Leanne

There are great pieces of sapphire jewelry out there, but nothing really comes close to the Bernadotte's Leuchtenberg sapphire parure worn by Queen Silvia which dates back to the niece of Empress Josephine of France, Napoleon's first wife.
The stones are not only large but also perfectly matched in a rich color plus the design of tiara and necklace is just so elegant. The best Royal sapphires around, absolutely.

It was Queen Soraya's necklace, I'm pretty sure this was either sold at auction or on display somewhere, France maybe. Socal, I agree 100% with you, Rania would look lovely in this. And a new tiara (a sapphire at that) would look beautiful on her.

This necklace is gorgeous but I do wish that it had two more sapphire elements on the bottom row to even things out, especially if it gets turned into a tiara. It would just give it a smoother line and keep it from sort of jutting out. I know I am being quite nit-picky but I just can't help it when my sense of symmetry and balance (such as it is) get thrown off!:)
And Rania should grab her martian green emerald tiara and see if she can trade it in for this one 'cause she would look fabulous in this!

HRHAmy said:
Another beautiful sapphire masterpiece, I wonder where it is today? Hopefully not holed up in a museum somewhere. These things should be worn, out in the public!:)
It's now sitting in a glass case in the Louvre, never to be worn again. The parure was auctioned by the late Comte de Paris as part of his breakup and dispersal of the Orléans Royal heritage. Members of his family tried to stop the auction (I believe it was held in Switzerland) but were unsuccessful. This is one of two diamond and sapphire parures he sold at different auctions; both are now on display in the Louvre.

Here is a pic of the other parure, courtesy Corbis:

Queen Marie Amélie's Sapphire Parure

FranceQueenMarieAmeliesSapphires.jpg

Last edited:
The sixty four thousand dollar question is why did the blitthering idiot and fool do it? Did he hate the whole business of being who he was or was he totally incompetent and simply wasted his life and heritage away in idiotic debauchery of any number of kinds. If I got my grubby hands on such marvelous toys you may be sure they would never have gone anywhere near the Louvre. It is enough to make my monarchist blood run cold. Of course all these Bourbons and Orleans people were not the birghtest pennies in the pocket by a long shot. One of this idiots ancestors could have been King of France after Napoleon III lost the Franco-Prussian War but he refused to recognize the tricolour. Can you imagine anybody that dumb, that supid. Maybe it is a good thing he did NOT become the King of France. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

What a stunnig pieces! I love sapphire jewels and I've never seen so big sapphires! Thank you Warren!

The parure on the picture is not in the Louvre. This one was sold to one of the middle east kingdoms without any announcement. Such a shame...
The diamond and sapphire parure in the Louvre belonged privately to the queen Marie Amelie (Louis Philippe's wife) who had bought it from La Reine Hortense, Josephine's daughter, and Louis Napoléon's wife.
This parure was frequently worn by the late Comtesse de Paris before her husband sold it secretly to the museum.

Warren said:
It's now sitting in a glass case in the Louvre, never to be worn again. The parure was auctioned by the late Comte de Paris as part of his breakup and dispersal of the Orléans Royal heritage. Members of his family tried to stop the auction (I believe it was held in Switzerland) but were unsuccessful. This is one of two diamond and sapphire parures he sold at different auctions; both are now on display in the Louvre.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's horrible Warren! It makes me cringe :(... Poor, poor jewels just sitting and collecting dust, what has this world come to?

LOL Marengo, Victoria Beckham buying the Poltimore? That would be a sight! Where would she wear it? Hopefully it went to another princess so we can see it on a head again.

Maybe she wants to be a princess of footbal! :D such a horrible image! I thougt, that poltimore will buy someone from BRF or from Belgium for princess Mathilde... that can't be true! :(

Almost too many to choose from but my faves are:
Marie Feodorovna's brooch (now owned by QEII)
Parure that belonged to Princess Diana plus her engagement ring
Don't know if it's actually hers or not but several years ago Princess Caroline was on the cover of an American magazine with an absolutely spectacular set :eek: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom