Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marie-Chantal's cabochon sapphire and diamond engagment ring...

photo from: Rex Features

Last edited by a moderator:
The engagement ring of Queen Elizabeth. The grand diamond on the solitaire ring is detached from a Greek tiara, which prince Philip got from his mother. I wonder why Her Majesty keeps the golden wedding ring behind the engagement ring? It could give at least some protection to the solitaire when worn first on the finger.

Does somebody recognize the watch? A Patek Philippe perhaps?
Photo from Corbis.

BTW, it is said that Marie Chantal's ring has besides the cabouchon cut sapphire also a heart shaped diamond. Quite unusual combination, but when the stones are obviously of a great quality, I guess it's OK.

The ring of Fergie. I read from somewhere that when Andrew proposed with this ring, it had an emerald on it. Fergie made him change the stone to a ruby (which was wise because of the higher durability of ruby). The ring is probably from Garrard. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also a group of other jewelry can be seen on this picture... She must like jewelry:
Photo from Corbis.

And the ring of Diana. The sapphire is enormous as well as the diamonds encircling the center stone. Definitely good choice of coloured stone.

Photos from Corbis. Thanks Corbis!

1. 2. Sophie Rhys Jones engagement ring

3. Could this be Queen Silvias Engagement Ring?

4. Princess Märtha Louise & Ari Behn
The engagement rings for the couple have been designed by Behn's grandfather. They have matching rings of white gold with lillies formed by diamonds. Princess Märtha Louise's ring has an extra touch, two hearts made of rubies.

5. HRH Princess Anne's Engagement Ring

6. The diamond engagement ring of the late Iranian Princess Soraya
The ring, which was given to the princess by the Shah of Iran in 1950, is made of a 22.37 carat diamond

7. Princess Mathilde's engagement ring.

8. 9. Infanta Elena Engagement Ring

10. Duchess Sophie of Bavaria

11. Princess Alexandra of Denmark

On this website you can see many of the royal engagement rings of Denmark.

http://www.geocities.com/slaikjaer/royalen...ementrings.html

Princess Alexandra's ring is made of gold, rubies and a diamond. Once again one can see how the colours of the country's flag have been chosen to a royal ring. Maybe it is just a co-incidence?

Queen Silvia's ring is said to be one of these inherited baubles which origin I can't remember. Was it a ring of the mother of King Carl Gustaf? It is supposed to be a solitaire ring of a fairly large diamond and maybe in white gold.

Ooo, the ring of princess Soraya!!! What a huge emerald cut diamond.

But it should be re-cut, I think, because you can see the shank of the ring through the stone which implies that the cut is not the best possible.

Princess Grace's engagement ring. Rainier originally gave her a ruby and diamond friendship ring which he later replaced w/ a massive 12 carat emerald-cut diamond.

I have some pics of Grace's ring that I will have to scan.

Thanks so much for all of your info, Mia and I loved Princess Diana's aquamarine cocktail ring.

Josefine, thanks so much for all of your photos and work, too!

Attachments

• GraceEngagement.jpg
    GraceEngagement.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,392
Thanks Julia! I was very happy to see some new pictures. Especially the info of princess Grace's ring was great. I've seen pictures of both rings you mentioned but didn't know which one was the true engagement ring. Anyway, 12 cts, phew, that is massive!

Hey Mia,

The reason why one wears his or her wedding ring first is because theres a vain in the ring finger of the left hand that goes to the heart,and you want to have your wedding ring closer to your heart.This also why many people wear the wedding and enagement ring on they left hand, although I have see some people wear they rings on the other hand,many of them being european I wonder if this is a tradition in europe?

If you look on Queen Noor's left hand you'll see her enagement and wedding rings,from what I've read in her book the enagement ring is a gold ring encrusted with tiny white and yellow diamonds.Sorry thats its not a better picture.

----

Attachments

• 332215aNoor_cries.jpg
    332215aNoor_cries.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,948
Hi Mia and Jenna!

12 carats is huge! There is a still of Grace in the film High Society where you can see the ring perfectly. I am going to try and find it. It was/is a gorgeous ring. I can't remember if there are ruby baguettes on either side of the diamond or not. If there are they are quite small.

I love the story of wearing the ring on the left finger and the heart line...so very romantic!

1. Sarah Ferguson's engagement ring. From www.corbis.com

2. Maxima's engagement ring. I believe that I read that W-A designed her ring and that the diamond is either a yellow or orange fancy diamond. from: Rex Features

3. Mette-Marit's ring. From: Rex Features

4. Princess Caroline and fiancee' Philippe Junot. Too bad you cannot see her engagement ring very well!

5. Another photo of Maxima's ring.

Attachments

• MaximaRing.jpg
    MaximaRing.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 16,487
  • SarahRing.jpg
    SarahRing.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,469
  • MaximaRing2.jpg
    MaximaRing2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3,157
  • Mette_MaritRing.jpg
    Mette_MaritRing.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,243
  • CarolineRing.jpg
    CarolineRing.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4,208
Great topic, everybody and thanks for posting all these great rings. I noticed that royals tend to favour coloured stones for engagement rings. I saw a lot of saphires, rubies, emeralds and yellow stones. Not too many diamond engagement rings, as is the custom here in North America (Canada). Is it more "European" to have a coloured stone for an engagement ring? And what would everybody else prefer for an engagement ring?

Yes, I've heard the theory of the vena amoris (lat.), the vein of love. It was believed already in the ancient Egypt that this special vein led straight from the heart to the third finger of left hand. Third finger indeed, because thumb wasn't concidered as a finger.

But we live in a modern world and know that the vascular system is a bit more complex thing than that. And we know that sometimes our heart is in our head. = )

I'm still of that opinion that the higher ring i.e. the ring with stone should be worn behind. Otherwise it covers behind the little plain hoop which the wedding ring usually is. Furthermore the higher ring is usually also the more expensive ring which at least I would like to protect from getting lost or getting hit against something when doing the everyday household work etc.

In Finland people tend to wear their rings quite often in the order in which they received the rings. We start with the plain gold hoop as an engagement ring and choose perhaps a small diamond ring for a wedding ring. So in this case again the solitaire or half hoop ring goes in front while the more plain ring is there behind it, which I still find a bit weird.

The rings are to be seen by others. You don't put the shortest pupils on the backrow for the class photo either!

posted by henri m. at the Glittering Royal Events Message Board

Princess Maximas ring
On this pic (which is a replica)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 4,161
Are there one engagement ring and one wedding ring? Or do they use the same ring at the wedding?

The speaker at King Carl-Gustaf and Queen Silvias wedding atleast said that the wedding ring was new, not an old family thing.
Does anyone know if she has an old engagement ring aswell?

Would love to see pictures if anyone has some..

Another of Mette-Marit's ring:

Attachments

• mette_marit.jpg
    mette_marit.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 7,274
Mary's engagement ring. An either square or emerald cut diamond with two ruby baguettes on either side...

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 5,687
Or an emerald cut diamond in the center (1.5 - 2.0 cts or so) and two emerald cut rubies as side stones... Anyway once again a ring with the colours of the nation and a very modern design. Good choice!

Thank you for the pic!

A better view from Letizia Engagement Ring :flower:

Hola

Does anybody know what stones are in Laetizia's ring? Are they aquamarines with diamonds in platinum?

Letizia wears a 16 Begettes diamond ring sided on each side with a trim of white gold.

Sarah Armstrong-Jones, daughter of Princess Margaret of GB and I, niece of HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Pic from www.corbis.com

For those who wanted to see Queen Rania's ring, I think this is it. I could be mistaken though.

Originally posted by beebee@Nov 18th, 2003 - 3:17 pm
It says the ring is a 2 carat diamond surrounded by two cabochon rubies. I wonder what a cabochon ruby looks like.
Beebee,
This is what a cabochon ruby looks like-

Attachments

• Ruby_Cabochon_Ring_1.jpg
    Ruby_Cabochon_Ring_1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,120
Originally posted by Angel S.@Nov 18th, 2003 - 3:54 pm
For those who wanted to see Queen Rania's ring, I think this is it. I could be mistaken though.
Here it is again, I could not find it any bigger, sorry.

Very nice find with Lady Sarah Chatto's ring, Fireweaver. I hadn't ever seen her ring before. I like her setting a lot, although I'm not quite as convinced with the weaving pattern around the band.

Attachments

• 975691477_scanpix.JPG
    975691477_scanpix.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,235
Princess Clotilde of Savoy's engagement ring...

Attachments

• post_42_1063757907.jpg
    post_42_1063757907.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,319
Does anyone know how big the rubies and diamonds are on Clothilde's ring?

Back
Top Bottom