Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome! Thanks Bobby for the research and photographs! And I agree with ChantalC that her bracelets are gorgeous!

You're all very welcome. I'm glad I could help with these two photos:)
Does anybody know if there are photos from the Duke of York and Lady Elizabeth's engagement? Maybe there we cen see the ring.

Bobby

Here are two photos of Queen Elizabeth wearing her sapphire and diamond engagement rings, both from Life's archive:
Photo 1
Photo 2

Bobby

Thank you very much for these two photos. For me, I am surprised how unsure of herself the Queen Mum looks in the second photo, so unlike her later years.

My personal favorite engagement rings

1.Elizabeth ii-Beautiful.Not too big,not too small.I would love to have a ring like this.My all time favorite royal ring.

2.Grace Kelly-A ring that is big but not too big to the point of being too much.

3.Princess Diana-Love the non-traditional engagement ring.The color is so beautiful.

4.Charlene Wittstock-Not a fan of pear shaped rings but this is beautiful.

5.Clotilde, Princess of Venice-Usually heart rings are tacky but,simplity reigns here

The worst engagement rings

1.Marie of Denmark-The ugliest ring ever.Enough said.

2.Victoria Lockwood-The tackiest medieval looking ring ever

3.Princess Mathilde-Don't like the setting of it

4.Princess Máxima-Not a fan of yellow diamonds.If it were replaced by a regular diamond the same size,then I would like it because,the rest i like.

5.Princess Soraya of Iran-Just too big too the point of tacky.

Not the worst but plain and boring

1.Princess Letizia-The most boring engagement ring ever.Looks more like a wedding band.

2 Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark-Very dull,nothing interesting.

3.Princess Märtha Louise-Again,looks more like a wedding band than an engagement ring.The ruby's don't even make interesting

4.Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg-There is such thing as too big and then there's too small.Nathalie's is way too small.

5.Crown Princess Victoria-Iv'e seen that ring too many times.

Last edited:
Well I kind of like Princess Nathalie's ring because , to me, it a very "honest" and " unpretentious" ring : This is what her husband could really afford I guess and so it has more value to my eyes - more than if he bought a bigger ring for example and sent the bill to her parents or borrowed a large sum of money while they were expecting a child .

Maxima's ring is an orange diamond in honor of the house of Orange-Nassau

Really? It may have been yellow in other lighting in a picture.....well its a nice gesture to his house.

My favorites engegement rings
1 Victoria
2 Madeleine
3 catherine
4 Clotilde
5 Autumn Kelly

Overvieuw

The weirdest one is that crowned heart from Earl Spencer. It would catch on everything.

engagement rings

My top 5 favourites in order are:

1)P.Victoria,classical elegance
2)P.Mary,also classical with slight difference
3)Kate Middleton & P.Diana,elegant and love sapphires
4)Sarah Ferguson,elegant
5)Sophie,elegant and lovely stones without being over the top like Charlene Wittstock's.

My worst is suprisingly not P.Marie because although the setting is hideous the stones are quite stunning.
My worst is the lucky dip packet look alike ring of Victoria Spencer btw anyone know what he gave his 2nd wife?
Also don't like Clothilde's the ruby looks synthetic in pics I've seen.

My all time favourites:
Princess Grace - and the ring Pr. Charles gave to Camilla - actually an Art Deco heirloom from the Queen Mum.
This is because I love emerald cut diamonds.
And - sorry to say - I was never in favour of Pr. Dianas ring.

I like the "Diana/Catherine" Ring. It is boo-ti-ful. Princess Grace's and Princess Saroya's are my favorite "traditional" rings, as I too love the emerald and step cut stones. Well, I could go on and on...but I won't. I'll just say, I love 'em all!!!

I am partial to sapphire rings.

Engagement rings I liked:
Catherine
Tatiana
Queen Mother
Princess Anne
Princess Grace
Duchess of Cornwall
Queen Elizabeth II
Crown Princess Mary

Last edited:
Princess Grace
Princess Maxima
Queen elizabeth 2
Sophie of Wessex
Are my favorite

I don't like Dianas
Has anyone got a photo of Queen Sofia's or Siliva's engadgment rings??

I really love the DoC's and Princess Clothide's engagement rings. They're my all time favorites.

For the longest time I didn't realize that there were stones more rare than a diamond. There are some beautiful colored stones out there in the gemstone world. But for me there is nothing like a brilliant cut diamond. So the diamond engagement rings are the best, to me. With Camillas being first, and Graces being second.

To me Princess Diana's engagement ring was a Garrad's masterpiece

For the longest time I didn't realize that there were stones more rare than a diamond. There are some beautiful colored stones out there in the gemstone world. But for me there is nothing like a brilliant cut diamond. So the diamond engagement rings are the best, to me. With Camillas being first, and Graces being second.
A while back there was an Cartier exhibition in San Francisco and Grace's engagement ring was on display. I must say I was disapppointed. Nothing extraordinarie at all. I have seen many diamond rings much more spectacular than hers. The whole apperance of the ring was "flat".

grevinnan, when you say "flat" do you mean "not a good setting". Was it in an early style of a bezel set stone? I have only seen pictures of it, and would love to be able to see it in person. Surely the diamonds were of the highest quality. Do you think the "traveling display" didn't show it off properly? Maybe not set in the best display?

I also agree Dianas ring was spectacular. And while I love colored stones I am partial to diamond engagement rings.

I've never seen PGrace's engagement ring in person, but I have seen photos and can't understand why it seemed "flat" in exhibition. It is not a true emerald cut, more like an elongated Royal Asscher cut (74 facets) with the clipped corners of an emerald cut. There should have been enough brilliance, even in poor light, to knock your socks off!

Even though both the Asscher and emerald cut diamonds are known as step cuts, a "true" emerald cut (58 facets) depends on the luster of the stone, not the sparkle. For a true emerald cut, see Princess Soraya's magnificent monster.

engagement rings & earl spencer

anyone got a pic or details of the earl's latest fiance's engagement ring(it's getting hard to keep up with him,must have bought loads of engagement rings by now,rather fickle in love he is) also the one he gave his 2nd wife and the recently previous fiance (cant think of her name right now,she's a widow i believe),the latest is a Canadian.:whistling:

A while back there was an Cartier exhibition in San Francisco and Grace's engagement ring was on display. I must say I was disapppointed. Nothing extraordinarie at all. I have seen many diamond rings much more spectacular than hers. The whole apperance of the ring was "flat".
Perhaps I should have used a different expression. The ring obviously was not flat in its shape. It was just a regular diamond ring looking just like the ring anyone with some money could give their fiancee. Neither the cut nor the size made it anything other than ordinary considering it was the engagement ring for the consort of a regent.

I love emeralds and all jewels or rings with pigmentation. My mother had so many rings with color that I often envied while a child and wanted on for my own. I thought the see through blue of the gem was far out and so remarkable. As far as engagement rings are concerned I like pure white diamonds with a depth to the marvel of it. I think my favorite would have happen to be Grace Kelly's engagement ring as my favorite for it seemed on top of that her life was perfect. There's just something to the life of him and her as emperor. It's definitely nice to gather here on the web to pear on the many journeys and travels of the beloved Royals and their markings. I love to have witnessed in the last four of five years so many instances of the canny and voluntary of posts of the people. It makes me want to be somehow a part of all this galore if I could get closer. And such a pleasure it is. Anyways I like rings that spell out soul in artistic endeavor. I like something that speaks more than forever. I wonder if they have special powers like in folklore where they dispel an aura or hold the nestle of the stone and metal. Like in marvel comic's action figures. I wonder though. Someday I'll collect pieces for myself for now I only wait until I meet my better. Oh the patience though.

Last edited:
:previous:
As RJOTWMB posts are lost after a period of time, for the record here's the pic.

Charlene Wittstock's engagement ring

courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB
image has been cropped from a much larger pic and is not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Charlene Wittstock Engagement Ring cty Tamara.jpg
    Charlene Wittstock Engagement Ring cty Tamara.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 5,040
Last edited:
It's one of my favorites royal engagement rings, I like the shape and how it sparkles. Much more better than on the official photographs.

Back
Top Bottom