Royal Rings - all types

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My all time favorite engagement ring is Clothilde's of Italy. It's very unique ring. My second favorite Maxima's.

I don't like the ring either. It's over the top.
Personally when going for a diamond one like CP Victoria's is much more elegant. Less is more,so the saying goes.

I have to say I'm surprised that the contemporary modern royal or noble women are choosing the mundane white diamond. They are lovely, to be sure -- but really quite boring. For us commoners, a nice 1/3 carat white diamond is the norm. However, these days, it seems that modern non-royal brides-to-be are helping their intended pay for larger stones. I find this distasteful, but it is part of current life. I'm dismayed that royals don't go for unusual, large, mega-expensive stones for their rings, such as a red diamond, alexandrite, spinel, secondary or tirtiary Burma rubies and sapphires. I guess it's a trend, but I miss the unusual European engagement jewelry of the past.

Last edited:
Charlene W's engagement ring sort of reminds me of a Super Bowl ring!:lol:

That's too funny! Wish we could see a better photo of her ring. The pic posted here looks like it is pear shaped, but doesn't look like one big stone, maybe pave or maybe not. Someone will have a good photo to post soon, I'm sure.

Now that's a photo of the very average American engagement ring.

Harking back a few posts to "I don't like that...", I guess I'm a jewelry w_o_e, but I like 'em all. Being an American, some of them don't fit the definition of an enagagement ring for the average American woman, but I like it when the intended chooses the ring. I especially am very surprised at the comments on the rings of Princess Grace and Queen/Princess Saroya. What's not to like about them? Everyone likes plain and simple - both their rings are that. BIG, but plain and simple.

Think i need to see a proper front picture of Charlene's ring before i pass judgement on it but goodness it is huge

Agreed, I have not yet seen a close enough picture of the ring to be able to fully comment on it, so I reserve judgement for now.

I believe Maxima's ring is a rare orange diamond. Very expensive!!;)

There are natural orange and treated to be orange diamonds. Maxima's could be either, but I would hope (due to financial means) that her's is "real." Even diamonds treated to bring out various colors (blue, green, red, etc.) are "real."

There are many famous orange diamonds but the most famous orange diamond is The Pumpkin Diamond. The Pumpkin is a 5.54 carats vivid orange diamond. There is a photo of this diamond in one of my gem books, but I'm sure there is one somewhere on the internet. The Pumpkin is currently valued for over US$3 million.

If my eye doesn't deceive me, Maxima's orange stone is probably 2 carats. Natural or treated, it is one gemmy gem! Love it!

I think that is the same ring. It's lovely.

It definately looks smaller in the second picture. The setting doesn't look the same at all.

Duchess of Cornwall's ring is my Dream ring.....so elegant and expensive!! I hope my husband doesn't see this!!!!

If anyone has a hankering for a ring in the style of Chlotilde's engagement, they are available at Garrard. It's featured with all diamonds, but I'm sure they would accommodate replacing one of the heart shapes with a ruby...or sapphire...or, well, anything. I'm liking it more and more.

Prince Daniel tells at the official wedding book "Vårt bröllop", that he had ordered Victoria´s engagement ring from a jeweler abroad, to keep the engagement secret. They had discussed about the ring before. Victoria had wanted a ring quite similar to her mother´s engagement ring. Victoria tells in the book: My mother got the ring of my grandmother, princess Sibylla when she became engaged to dad. Our rings remind eachother. I like the tradition and that the ring has connection to the past.

to go slightly off topic but still involving royal rings,call me crazy and superstitious but as much as i love emeralds i'm beginning to think that of you have one in your engagement ring,it's going to bring serious bad luck.
the following ladies who had emerald engagement rings lost their husbands early: Queen Victoria,Princess Caroline(heard her e.ring from Stefano had an emerald),Lady Helen Taylor(came close to losing Tim) the only exception was the duchess of Windsor(they had a long marriage). I would like to add for the sake of my superstitious argument that although she wasn't royal Jackie Kennedy's engagement ring from JFK had an emerald and so did Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Anyone care to share their thoughts about this?

I think Princess Grace also had an emerald.

Can anyone tell me anything about the ring George VI has on his right pinky finger in this photo? It looks to be some sort of signet ring, but whether it's a royal ring or just a non-ceremonial thing, I don't know.

William and Katherine

Am absolutely thrilled for them. May they have a long,strong and happy marriage! May they be blessed with healthy children! May they become King and Queen of England! May they retain their wonderful sense of humour! May Kate not be unfavourably compared with Diana! May the paperazzi not hound Kate as they did Diana.
Well done on the ring, it was and still is gorgeous.:flowers:

I think that Kate's ring was set on another band. When Diana wore it, I think it was yellow gold, now it looks a white gold (or platinum) band.
I didn't see it on the pictures but in the interview they gave.

I think that Kate's ring was set on another band. When Diana wore it, I think it was yellow gold, now it looks a white gold (or platinum) band.
I didn't see it on the pictures but in the interview they gave.

Definitely yellow gold!:flowers:

Well, I think I was wrong, the band of Diana was also white gold.
But she wore her gold wedding ring next to it, that's why I was (we were) mistaken I guess:
princess+diana+ring.jpg (image)

I believe the Catherine's ring was not alter from when Diana wore it. The sapphire ring had actually been given to Harry. Many on the forums have mentioned and I know Diana left a lot of her personal jewelry and possessions to Harry because she knew that William would get access to lots of jewels and a sizable inheritance as the future king and she wanted to make sure the "spare" was well taken care of. Anyway, William asked Harry for the ring for Catherine and Harry agreed that the ring belonged to a future queen. Turns out, the ring fit her finger perfectly and did not even need to be re-sized!

I think that it is really sweet that Harry gave the ring to William to give to Catherine. It is the start of a very touching tradition. Maybe William and Catherine will give it to their eldest son/daughter for their bride/herself so the future Queens will have it as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom