Royal Family of Serbia Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This tiara went to King Peter Ii and Queen Alexandra. I saw only one smallPicture.
They sold he tiara to van Cleef and Arpels , who sold the emerald cabochons to Chaumet.
The tiara on display in Brussels was with fake emeralds.

Regarding this beautiful emerald parure...I was reading recently a book "For love of a King" by Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia.

She said that King Peter II has given her the emerald parure as a wedding present, wanting to do the same, just as his father did it for Queen Marie previously.

She wore it only once, at pre wedding ball of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip complaining that even the necklace was too heavy and that she couldn't wait to get it off.

At the time the parure was sold off, King Peter II and Queen Alexandra were separated. She was living in her house,Villa Eden in Venice, with her mother, while King Peter II was living penniless in Madrid, wanting a divorce.

Soon as she heard the conditions he was facing, she decided to give him the parure to sell it off and take the money, but as they were not in "good terms" it was Princess Aspasia who was sent, in Alexandra's name, to present it to the King in order to sell it. When he realized why Princess Aspasia came to see him, he was stunned, but at the moment he received the tiara, he didn't say one word.

She only made one condition under which the parure had to be sold off. She didn't want to be sold off to anyone she might have known or anyone from same social circle they moved in, fearing that at some point in future, some other lady would wear her jewels at the same event in her presence, which would be too embarrassing and too awkward for her.

She said that King Peter II later assured her that the emerald parure was sold off "very discreetly", but didn't wanting to say to whom and for what amount he has sold it off.

So, she was the last owner of this magnificent tiara.

Regarding her other jewels, she stated that they also had to be sold off, stating that some of them were very "valuable" to her as they were presents from her mother.

Her diamond chandelier earring she often used to wear, which were present from King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain, were at some point stolen from her.

http://www.royalfamily.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Kraljica-Aleksandra-11.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-h7nPBIl-z...er+II+and+Queen+Alexandra+of+Yugoslavia+-.jpg

1955. A formal portrait of King Peter and Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia. Pictures | Getty Images

This two row strand pearl necklace was confirmation gift from her mother, along with matching earrings(shown in the last picture) and she kept it always with her.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that interesting post Marc23. It is a pity that there are no other tiaras in this branch of the family. The one that is worn by princess Katherine looks like a paste bandeau to me.

Last edited:
It was interesting to know such facts and that's why I wanted to share these details, especially since I would forget them ;)

It seems to me that Princess Katherine is often wearing these pearls which belonged to Queen Alexandra and were left to her son.

As for the tiara, I know from people that work(ed) with her that the tiara is real, like the only diamond necklace she has, although don't know the provenance.

And considering her temperament, grand behavior, wanting to be royal above all and being well off in her own right I don't think she would allow herself such thing as wearing paste among other royal born persons.

And considering her temperament, grand behavior, wanting to be royal above all and being well off in her own right I don't think she would allow herself such thing as wearing paste among other royal born persons.

Grand behavior? Ive always gotten the impression that shes a nice lady.

Grand behavior? Ive always gotten the impression that shes a nice lady.

Well, sometimes impressions hide ambitions...

There have been many articles in the newspapers about her bad behavior towards her employees.

Press Online :: Politika :: Kraljevski tretman: Biju i šikaniraju za državne pare

Press Online :: Politika :: Mesecima su me zlostavljali, a na kraju sam dobila i batine

Few of the articles, although in serbian language. Doesn't matter who is guilty, but these kind of things do not help the image of the royal family which is very low among Serbian people.

One of the few gaffes that I have heard recently was that she applied to the Royal council for her children to be granted HRH, but, of course, it was denied.

My friend was working on the order of precedence for the reburial of King Peter II in Oplenac. She instructed him to make the order and strictly follow the rules. When he has done the list she got very mad and shouted at him because her children were not, due to order of precedence rules, listed among royals and screamed at him how could he have done such thing.

Also, few years ago, I was with her and some other people having dinner in the royal related restaurant near Oplenac church. When she took a little bit more wine, she began loudly talking about her being a Queen. One of the royal council members, happens to be a cousin of the restaurant owner, who was also present there, tomorrow asked CP Alexander just to talk to her and "calm" her down as such things people here view very negatively and it doesn't support royal house image. When he talked to her, she immediately informed this council member that "there is no need anymore for him to come to his office in the palace" and that he could do his job from home.

Sorry to reveal such details, but as a monarchist I would like the best for my country, but one must know how things should have been done.

People's impressions about Princess Maria da Gloria when she visited Serbia were very,very good. She was decent, discreet, not pushy and people liked it. One of the persons who didn't like it was Katherine, just as she didn't like the fact that Princess Elizabeth is very popular and ordered few years ago that she can't come to the palace, all in order not to "steal the show" from her. She would very much like to be popular among people, but sometimes just can't control herself and doesn't know how to achieve that.

Unfortunately, in recent years, there have been many articles and interviews about feuds in the family which ruined their image. First CR Alexander and Princess Elizabeth and later CP Alexander and Prince Vladimir. Sometimes they fight, sometimes they try to be a family, but they should be more united.

https://www.slobodna-bosna.ba/vijes...leksandar_sahrani_u_porodichnoj_grobnici.html

http://www.espreso.rs/vesti/drustvo...radjordjevog-cukununuka-sahranjuje-u-dvoristu

One of the latest feud articles, regarding burial of the deceased family members in ancestral crypt which was denied by CP and his wife.

And some older ones where royal family members do not speak nicely about CP and his wife, including deceased Prince Tomislav, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Eva Maria, widow of Prince Andrej:

http://serbianna.com/srpski/archives/189

Prince Vladimir talks about Crown Princess Katherine:

http://www.vesti.rs/Dvor/SVADjA-KAR...u-u-dvoru-prestolonaslednik-mu-dao-ormar.html

Hope things are a bit clearer now. :) It's much more complicated than it seems on the surface. :(

Last edited:
Last edited:
This isn't the Princess at her wedding - she wore the latticed tiara a gift from her mother to that !
View attachment 300701

Thnx, the caption said it's her wedding, so I assumed there was probably some sort of pre-wedding ball or whatsoever.

Anyway, have never seen this tiara on Olga and would like to know which tiara is she wearing.

Thnx, the caption said it's her wedding, so I assumed there was probably some sort of pre-wedding ball or whatsoever.

Anyway, have never seen this tiara on Olga and would like to know which tiara is she wearing.

I've been looking through photos on the web and have yet to come up with an answer. [emoji4]

I've been looking through photos on the web and have yet to come up with an answer. [emoji4]

Yes, me too.

This is the only time and only picture I have seen her wearing this tiara, so it puzzled me which tiara is this :confused:

This tiara looks like a Romanov jewellery. Does it come from Serbian RF or from bride's side? Queen Olga of Greece brought important jewellery with her, from Russia. I think Princess Olga mother was a Russian Grand Duchess too.

This tiara looks like a Romanov jewellery. Does it come from Serbian RF or from bride's side? Queen Olga of Greece brought important jewellery with her, from Russia. I think Princess Olga mother was a Russian Grand Duchess too.

It is Romanov jewelry.

Here by descent:

It was firstly owned by Grand Duchess Ella of Russia(sister of Empress Alix), who left it to her niece Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna younger, later Princess of Sweden. After the revolution she sold the whole parure to King Alexander of Yugoslavia who gifted the tiara to his wife Queen Marie of Yugoslavia. She gave the tiara to her son King Peter II of Yugoslavia, who gifted the tiara to his wife Queen Alexandra of Yugoslavia as the wedding present.

After King Peter II of Yugoslavia went broke, Queen Alexandra was already living separately from her husband in Venice, while he was living in Madrid. She decided to give him the tiara to sell it and get the money. As they were not in good terms, Princess Aspasia brought the tiara to King, who didn't expect such a visit and was very astonished by her move. Queen Alexandra's only condition for selling was that the parure should not be sold to anyone from their circle of friends, so that she would be spared to see it worn by another lady. The King sold it and never told her exactly to whom, but just told her that everything was done exactly as she demanded.

Lovely story, thanks a lot @Marc23
I wonder to whom he sold. Maybe to the lady of the picture in US ball... Âges fit.....
I know that the king in exile was broken, the only thing he inherited to his son was a gold pen (or watch, not sure )
I'm curious how was Queen Alexandra living in Venice. Her mother came from a very good family in Greece, but were they rich enough to help their grandaughter live in Venice in private villa, staff etc
Or maybe she had an allowance from the Greek state. Any idea ?

Last edited:
Lovey story, thanks a lot @marc23
I wonder to whom he sold. Maybe to the lady of the picture in US ball... Âges fit.....
I know that the king in exile was broken, the only thing he inherited to his son was a gold pen (or watch, not sure )
I'm curious how was Queen Alexandra living in Venice. Her mother came from a very good family in Greece, but were they rich enough to help their grandaughter live in Venice in private villa, staff etc
Or maybe she had an allowance from the Greek state. Any idea ?

He sold it to Van Cleef and Arpels and they rent the tiara, after they sold emeralds and replaced them with green glass.

She said that her mother was not rich, but rather well off compared to her and often came to "rescue her" from financial difficulties. She also said that she, Princess Aspasia, despite being a gambler, was very good with money, which was at her disposal, unlike her.

Her mother bought that "Villa Eden"(previously belonged to Lord Anthony Eden's family) in Venice after promising Alexandra that they will have "their own house", after spending much of their lives in exile. Unfortunately, war soon came to Italy and again, they went to exile again.

Villa Eden:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Eden_(Venice)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Extremely interesting. I think mother and daughter had a sad life. And a strange commun destiny. They became both Queens without Kingdom.
I read that Alexandra was a very depressive and instable personality. CP Alexandre was mainly raised by his grandma. His mum did not really pay attention to him.
He is not a sympathetic person to me. He often is in Greece, he doesn't look nice.
One day he was asked by journalists something about politics in Serbia (then Yougoslavie I think) ans he replied than this doesn't matter because when he will be the king be will act differently.

Queen Alexandra did not attend his Son Alexander first Wedding with Maria da Gloria because of ilnesses.
the Bride wore no tiara but flowers

Thanks a lot. Extremely interesting. I think mother and daughter had a sad life. And a strange commun destiny. They became both Queens without Kingdom.
I read that Alexandra was a very depressive and instable personality. CP Alexandre was mainly raised by his grandma. His mum did not really pay attention to him.
He is not a sympathetic person to me. He often is in Greece, he doesn't look nice.
One day he was asked by journalists something about politics in Serbia (then Yougoslavie I think) ans he replied than this doesn't matter because when he will be the king be will act differently.

Well, to tell the truth, I really don't know. I met both of them several times at various parties at the Royal palace and can't say any bad word about behavior of both of them towards me personally.

But, on the other hand, they are not much liked in Serbia because of many small things that later become bigger and bigger. She is the dominant figure in the family, as she "has the money" and behaves as she wants to. Almost everybody here knows that.

Did she attend the second ? She was still alive, they married at 1985.

Did she attend the second ? She was still alive, they married at 1985.

No, she didn't. As far as I know she was sent to some sanatorium in England. Don't know when exactly. :-/

Well, to tell the truth, I really don't know. I met both of them several times at various parties at the Royal palace and can't say any bad word about behavior of both of them towards me personally.

But, on the other hand, they are not much liked in Serbia because of many small things that later become bigger and bigger. She is the dominant figure in the family, as she "has the money" and behaves as she wants to. Almost everybody here knows that.
Understand. She is not liked here either except to some who through her finally managed to frequent the royalty. She makes also a huge mess about her charity work but result is not very obvious.
As for money it this not very clear how much she has. She comes from a very average family in Greece. Of course now with the royal connexions they make money. But she behaviours like if everything was due to her.

Understand. She is not liked here either except to some who through her finally managed to frequent the royalty. She makes also a huge mess about her charity work but result is not very obvious.
As for money it this not very clear how much she has. She comes from a very average family in Greece. Of course now with the royal connexions they make money. But she behaviours like if everything was due to her.

Well, I don't know the family from which she comes, although it was rumored here that she comes from a Greek-Jewish family whose father had some business with cotton or something like that... Just don't know exactly if this is the truth or not :-/

Btw, I heard that she was not very much liked by her stepsons who came with them to live in Serbia when Alexander returned from exile in 2001. Soon, everyone of them left because they couldn't stand being directed how to behave and what to do by her.

Last edited:
Yes she comes from a Greek Jewish family. They were very poor, some have been also deported in Aushwitch. They had a shop in Athens which selled fabric for clothing. Not high class, bargain pieces of fabric. They became well off, but nothing extremely luxurious. They were a huge family also, many people living from the same company.
Any way this is not the important point, but the behaviour

Certainly a loan , we never saw the tiara again . Serge and Sophie divorced quickly after the wedding for a reason I never knew ?

Certainly a loan , we never saw the tiara again . Serge and Sophie divorced quickly after the wedding for a reason I never knew ?

Me neither. :-/

Any info on tiara of Princess Eleonore?

Back
Top Bottom