Royal Family of Serbia Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it is,but it is available to the family as there were photos of Princess Brigitta wearing it several months ago...

Here she is seen in some Leiningen event wearing a small tiara which looks more like the necklace converted tiara:

This looks somewhat similar to that which Crown Princess Katherine wore at William and Kate's wedding, perhaps she borrowed it from Princess Brigitta for the wedding?

This looks somewhat similar to that which Crown Princess Katherine wore at William and Kate's wedding, perhaps she borrowed it from Princess Brigitta for the wedding?

It's similar in size,but I don't think it's the same...

I have seen pictures of Queen Marie wearing the emerald tiara, the gold tiara and the fringe. But I have no idea how the other two, the brilliant tiara and the Cartier tiara look like. Does anybody please have pictures?:flowers:
I think it could be borrowed for the occasion...Regarding tiara's Queen Marie and Queen Alexandra(grandmother and mother of CP Alexander) had at their disposal:

Well,Queen Marie had 5 of them in total:

Her first tiara was the golden one posted above and the only one still available to the family...It is said that it was her maiden tiara which she brought from Romania.

Her second tiara was the famous emerald tiara bought by King Alexander I from Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna jr. as an engagement gift for his future wife...posted above and later sold to Van Cleef and Arpels...

Her third tiara was the brilliant tiara gifted to her by the people of the Kingdom of Serbs,Croats and Slovenians on occasion of her wedding in 1922.This tiara was guarded as the family treasury along with the coronation Crown,scepter and the train...It is said that this tiara never left Yugoslavia and that it is still in the vaults of the National Bank of Serbia...

Her fourth tiara was a Cartier gift tiara(along with a matching necklace) from King Alexander I on the occasion of birth of their first son King Peter II in 1923.When King Peter II married she gifted this tiara to his wife Queen Alexandra...Queen Alexandra later sold this tiara to an unknown buyer.

Her fifth tiara was the fringe diamond tiara that belonged to her aunt Princess Beatrice who sold it after the first civil started in Spain...

I have seen pictures of Queen Marie wearing the emerald tiara, the gold tiara and the fringe. But I have no idea how the other two, the brilliant tiara and the Cartier tiara look like. Does anybody please have pictures?:flowers:

Well,I am not sure,but here is a picture of young Queen Maria wearing unknown tiara:

Marija_zpsb926a687.jpg

Here is a picture of Queen Alexandra wearing unknown tiara which again could be the tiara in question:

tiara-2_zpse43bc030.jpg

Thank you, Marc23.
The first tiara is new to me, it might be one of them.
The tiara worn by Alexandra looks like a piece from the 1930s to me, when this type of halo tiara was quite popular (Kate Middleton's wedding tiara was from that era.) So I think that it wasn't a gift in 1922 or 1923. Maybe someone else knows more?

Well,could be,I just don't know for sure...

Apart from the Emerald tiara,this was the only other tiara we have known or at least seen Alexandra was wearing...and since we know that Emerald tiara was only borrowed from Queen Marie,who kept it in a London safe and who later sold it to Van Cleef and Arpels,this picture could leave a clue about the other tiara that was gifted to her on the occasion of her marriage to Peter II and sold later as her possession to an unknown buyer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,I am not sure,but here is a picture of young Queen Maria wearing unknown tiara:

Here is a picture of Queen Alexandra wearing unknown tiara which again could be the tiara in question:

Could the first one seen here on Marie be here wedding gift you mentioned?

Could the first one seen here on Marie be here wedding gift you mentioned?

I am again not sure,but the portrait is painted while Queen was young,probably at the time after her wedding and the most proper thing to do would be to paint her with a tiara she was gifted from the people of her new Kingdom...

There could be also a reason that we haven't seen any other pictures of this tiara and that could be because as it is said in the article,this people's gift tiara was treasured with the rest of treasury in national Bank,along with the Coronation Crown and sceptre and therfor not at quick disposal to the Queen like the rest of the tiaras were...

The tiara worn by Alexandra looks like a piece from the 1930s to me, when this type of halo tiara was quite popular (Kate Middleton's wedding tiara was from that era.) So I think that it wasn't a gift in 1922 or 1923. Maybe someone else knows more?

Interestingly,the birth gift tiara was also made by Cartier,as was Halo tiara ;)

Interestingly,the birth gift tiara was also made by Cartier,as was Halo tiara ;)
Yes, Cartier made several halo tiaras in the 1930's, because that style was highly fashionable at that decade. The Begum Aga Khan also owned one, which was made in 1934.

In the 1920's the fashion was more for bandeau tiaras worn low on the forehead, like on the the painting of Queen Marie.

In the 1920's the fashion was more for bandeau tiaras worn low on the forehead, like on the the painting of Queen Marie.

Well,maybe this could be the birth gift tiara,as it also says that it had a matching necklace(and there is a similar shape necklace painted),so it could fit into your description of Cartier jewelry at that time...

Last edited:
Well,maybe this could be the birth gift tiara,as it also says that it had a matching necklace(and there is a similar shape necklace painted),so it could fit into your description of Cartier jewelry at that time...
You are right, that seems likely.
I found another pic of her here: GeneAll.net - Maria, princess of Romania
But I'm not sure if that is a tiara or another kind of ornament.

I think I have read somewhere years ago that it was a silver bandeau,but again,I am not sure...maybe I mixed it up...

We know from the article that both mystery tiaras were were made of brilliants...the one which is still probably in National Bank vaults and the one she gifted to Queen Alexandra,which she later sold to an unknown buyer...

I am not good with recognizing and matching faces -especially Marie too well! Is this her wedding picture or is this someone else? If so.... Oops! I found this on one of the many boards I was looking at and it was under "balkin" royals but did not say who she was. She looks like Marie -is quite beautiful too!

image-3579737441.jpg

Love the tiara!

:previous:
This is a photograph of Princess Olga of Greece and Denmark when she married Prince Paul of Yugolavia.

Her fifth tiara was the fringe diamond tiara that belonged to her aunt Princess Beatrice who sold it after the first civil started in Spain...

This 865 brilliant stone tiara was auctioned off in 1960,along with big Serbian white eagle diamond brooch,which was a gift from King Alexander I...Her last official picture(4th one down right in the picture) was made just in order to show off the splendor of tiara which was to be auctioned off...

Both peaces were sold of to Levi Cohen,who bought it for New York jeweler Harry Winston...

Here is Maria wearing some of her tiaras:

Marija2_zpsf5ec55e1.jpg

and a better picture of her wearing this unknown tiara with obviously a matching necklace:

marija3_zps5132ec60.jpg

And a little bit bigger picture of her wearing this bandeau:

Marija4_zpse482c145.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so could this possibly be Marie on her wedding day? I found this and it stated that this was Queen Marie -there were so many pictures of the Queen and her mother, that I was not sure if it was her or her mother. I thought she wore a tiara that was a gift from her new people on her wedding day to Aleksander I, however, I do not see one in this picture.

Attachments

• image-1015976055.jpg
    image-1015976055.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 525
  • image-2203005967.jpg
    image-2203005967.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 505
Okay, so could this possibly be Marie on her wedding day? I found this and it stated that this was Queen Marie -there were so many pictures of the Queen and her mother, that I was not sure if it was her or her mother. I thought she wore a tiara that was a gift from her new people on her wedding day to Aleksander I, however, I do not see one in this picture.

She did not wear any tiara on her wedding day,but some kind of golden or silver wire bandeau around her head...

Here is one more picture from the wedding taken in Church where you can see better:

Marija5_zps877f06a4.jpg

Last edited:
I found this picture of Crown Princess Katherine on the Satorial Splendor blog from the Luxembourg royal wedding. She looks to be wearing the small tiara that I speaking of a while back -any ideas?

image-3320394484.jpg

It's likely the same tiara she wore at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding in 2010 of which no details are known.

v Crown Princess Katherine, Stockholm 2010

thumbnail image forms a cropped portion of a larger photograph

Attachments

• Katherine of Serbia, Stockholm 2010.jpg
    Katherine of Serbia, Stockholm 2010.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,282
It's likely the same tiara she wore at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding in 2010 of which no details are known.

v Crown Princess Katherine, Stockholm 2010
thumbnail image forms a cropped portion of a larger photograph

It's a cute little tiara! It would've interesting to know where it origins are and where she bought it or received it from as gift if that is what it was.

It is an attractive tiara, but looks to small proportionate to her head

It is an attractive tiara, but looks to small proportionate to her head

Agreed. I find it interesting that we know nothing of its origins. I can't tell if its pearls, diamonds, crystals or what it may be.

Princess Brigitta wearing Queen Marie's golden tiara:

brigita2_zpsa41327e5.jpg

Last edited:

Marie of Romania’s Golden Diadem with Cross
This golden diadem was made for Queen Marie of Romania in late 1910s. It is composed of flower motifs with a large Orthodox Cross in the middle. There are no precious stones, no additional decorations – just a plain solid gold. The Queen left this diadem to her second daughter, Marie, known as Mignon in the family. Upon Mignon’s marriage to Alexander I of Yugoslavia, the jewel transferred from Romanian to Yugoslavian jewellery vaults. Queen Marie of Yugoslavia appears to have left this piece to her youngest son, Prince Andrej, for the most recent sighting of the tiara was on the head of Princess Brigitta, wife of Prince Karl Vladimir of Yugoslavia (Prince Andrej’s eldest surviving son).

Last edited:
Princess Brigitta wearing Queen Marie's golden tiara:

It has been mentioned on here that the family has access to Queen Marie's tiara although it is housed in Oplenac. How you go about requesting it baffles me! I'm sure it's just a phone call away, but then you would have to take the drive -well worth it indeed. This is a special piece, however not everyone can wear it. Perhaps this is why Crown Princess Katherine has not worn it.

I believe it has also been on the head of another Serbian royal lady within the last few years and it looked pretty awkward on her head -it is not hard for this tiara to look a little awkward fast as it is a bandeau headband tiara and many try to wear these kind like the more modern.

It would be interesting to see if Katherine ever tries to wear it! She does have two smaller tiaras of unknown origin that she wears for visits and weddings.

It is possible that if Alexander's sons marry, that they very well may have their wives wear it. Only time will tell!

It has been mentioned on here that the family has access to Queen Marie's tiara although it is housed in Oplenac. How you go about requesting it baffles me! I'm sure it's just a phone call away, but then you would have to take the drive -well worth it indeed. This is a special piece, however not everyone can wear it. Perhaps this is why Crown Princess Katherine has not worn it. ...

I'd say there are only two possibilities:
- The diadem is in fact a loan to the museum and Princess Brigitta can take it to wear on appropriate occasions.
- The diadem worn by the Princess and the one in the museum are not the same piece; Brigitta's diadem can be a copy commissioned by Prince Andrej.

I'd say there are only two possibilities:
- The diadem is in fact a loan to the museum and Princess Brigitta can take it to wear on appropriate occasions.
- The diadem worn by the Princess and the one in the museum are not the same piece; Brigitta's diadem can be a copy commissioned by Prince Andrej.

This diadem is now owned by the museum in Oplenac and one can see it in the museum,where the tiara is the permanent part of the exhibition...and this golden tiara is only borrowed to the Princess Brigitta for some sort of occasion...

This diadem is now owned by the museum in Oplenac and one can see it in the museum,where the tiara is the permanent part of the exhibition...and this golden tiara is only borrowed to the Princess Brigitta for some sort of occasion...

It will be interesting to see if it comes out if Peter marries! I wonder if it would be loaned to his bride?

It will be interesting to see if it comes out if Peter marries! I wonder if it would be loaned to his bride?

If they ask,I think it will be...but,we still know nothing about the eventual wedding,if Peter marries,of course...will it take place in Serbia or elsewhere,will it be low key event or not etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom