Romanian Royal Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the Greek key tiara and I think it goes especially well on the head of Princess Margarita. She has the wide cheekbones and round head to hold up such a tiara.
The one pictured on Queen Marie IS stupendous, and would frighten some people who had to sit next to her at dinner. I have a feeling (just a surmise) that the slavic countries at one point had cloth head-dresses in that shape, and when they developed tiaras they made them of a similar height and configuration. I did some Russian dances as a youngster at Ivan Novikoff's ballet school in Seattle, and we had cloth head-dresses of a similar height and shape for these dances.

Couldn't agree more about the Greek Key tiara and Crown Princess Margarita! It looks beautiful on her -she wears it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sapphire tiara is amazing! One of the most beautiful tiaras I have ever seen. Just exquisite.

This sapphire tiara is amazing! One of the most beautiful tiaras I have ever seen. Just exquisite.

It sure is. Another spectacular piece from Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna that was purchased by Queen Marie after the Revolution. Unfortunately, it was sold for a song after her death.

It reminds me of Marie of Yugoslavia/Serbia and her Emerald tiara that the horrible jewelers Van Clef and Arpels replaced with paste!

This is just exquisite!!!

The workmanship is just breathtaking. A work of art...IMO

The workmanship is just breathtaking. A work of art...IMO

Yes, I completely agree! This one and the emerald (former) of Marie of Yugoslavia are my favorite.

I LOVE THIS TIARA! You just can't beat these sapphires!

I found this picture of the CP wearing the Greek key tiara, and I rather like this way more! ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1400652864.919590.jpg

Does anyone know the significance of this necklace and earrings that the CP is wearing? She wears it often, and they are beautiful.

The picture I have attached is not the best, so if someone else had a better picture to add, that would be fantastic.ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1400654089.580222.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1400654303.875834.jpg

I was wondering if there are any Jewels left in Romania to the Royal Family apart for the Greek Tiara that is so often seen on Crown Princess Margarita.

Queen Anne wore this tiara and necklace at some event in Monaco:

Last edited:
Anyone knows anything about it?

Actually I've found photos of Queen Helen of Romania wearing what too me looks like the earrings Anne is wearing here and the earrings Margaritha is wearing in the first photo posted above by USCtrojan. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post those photos though?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
From what I know, this event was the pre-wedding of Princess Caroline and Philippe Junot.

About those jewels I once read that they come from Queen Anne's side of the family. But I don't have a reliable source for this information, so it might be mere speculation.:sad:

Tilla C , Why did the Crown Princess asked to lawn the Essex Tiara for her Wedding ?
Did she pay for it ?

Last edited:
Tilla C , Why did the Crown Princess asked to lawn the Essex Tiara for her Wedding ?
Did she pay for it ?
Maria-Olivia, that is a question which I have asked myself before :flowers:. I have no idea what the answer might be.

I don't know if high profile people have to pay for loaning jewels. It's good publicity for the jeweller, so maybe they get it for free? But I'm not sure about it. This is the kind of thing that Royals are very discreet about.

The diamond Essex Tiara is beautiful and really suited Crown Princess Margarita of Romania on her wedding day.

Okay, it can have some regalness when worn properly on the head. The dimensions are impressive. But eeeeh.... I really fail to see any elegance. An elegant diadem complements the lady, has an intrinsic beauty by the fine craftmanship which is shown by delicate (scroll)work, an eye for proportions and the use of the best materials. All this does not fit with this diadem.

:flowers:

ILoveCP thank you for the informations for all tiaras who give us. I love tiaras.

I quite like the tiara in this pic from the pre-wedding in Luxembourg: View image: ro marg
And imo regalness of a tiara has also to do with its history, and this jewel has a very impressive history: worn by by GD Victoria Feodorovna, Queen Helen, Queen Anne and now CP Margaretha. Even Princess Maria wore it at her wedding. I just don't understand why Maria was the only one of the sister who chose this heirloom tiara for her nuptials. Margaretha instead chose to borrow the Essex tiara from Cartiers, which is beautiful but totally unconnected to the family history.

But I have one point to criticize severely: The colour of the velvet band at the base!!! Can it really be so difficult to find a material that matches the Princess’ hair colour better?

The romanian royal family only this tiara have their disposal?

That it surprises me, too pity , all the collection lost ? I suppose it is not so difficult now to guess the wedding tiara for the future wife to Nicolae.
Thanks An Ard Ri.

Yes Margarita borrowed a tiara for her wedding and it also surprises me more but who know there is the possibility the future bride has her own tiara.

Yes sadly they only have 1 tiara still in their hands,pity as once upon a time they had an impressive jewel collection.

That it surprises me, too pity , all the collection lost ? I suppose it is not so difficult now to guess the wedding tiara for the future wife to Nicolae.
Thanks An Ard Ri.

A lot was lost during the Russian revolution because Queen Marie had sent her jewels to her relatives in St Petersburg for safekeeping.
The same happened to the Princess of Battenberg who left her jewels with her sister the Empress when she and her daughter Lousie (the future Queen of Sweden) had to leave Russia quickly when the war began.
Crown princess Margarita borrowed a tiara for her wedding so don't be to sure.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

They are stunning but what a shame the tiara had to be sold off,it would be a lovely addition to the now very depleted Romanian RF jewel chest.

I'm not particularly a fan of the tiara as much of its history. And what really unlucky fate had this wonderful jewelry collection of the Romanian royal family.

Back
Top Bottom