Queen Sonja Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second day in Finland: more Jewels

Jewels of HM

Necklace

Ear Rings

I think the Ear Rings and the Necklace belong to the Modern Topaz (Star-Wars) Tiara.
I'm not a huge Fan of this Jewelry-set... I prefer the Diamonds and Emeralds... ;)

When princess Ragnhild dies her jewels, including the tiara, goes back to the crown/queen so we will se it on Mette Marit in many years...

So Harald's sisters didn't inherit their royal jewels from their mother. They only have them on loan? :confused:

So Harald's sisters didn't inherit their royal jewels from their mother. They only have them on loan? :confused:

It was King Olav who wanted the few jewels in the norwegian royal house to stay together. However - he gave/lent some fine pieces to his daughters because they acted as first ladies for many years. As none of their children will need great royal jewels in the future it was decided that the jewels should be returned to the crown when the princesses dies.

Thank you :) It seems Mette-Marit will get quite a collection to choose from, some day...

It was King Olav who wanted the few jewels in the norwegian royal house to stay together. However - he gave/lent some fine pieces to his daughters because they acted as first ladies for many years. As none of their children will need great royal jewels in the future it was decided that the jewels should be returned to the crown when the princesses dies.

Really? what is your source for this. AFAIK Princess Astrid has said that she owns the Turqouis parue, I have never heared that the two senior princesses has borrowed jewelleries (except when Astrid was first lady). I think it is an open question if theese will be returned to the main royal brange, I guess it depends on some good will from the familes of the princesses and if HArald/Haakon wants to shell out alot of money to pay for them. I guess what MM will have to choose from is her own and the historic jewellery sonja uses today, Im guesing some of her more modern/private jewellery would go to her daughter maybe, but time will show, all the women in question are still very much alive and breathing:D there are no foundations like in sweden and the netherlands.

Really? what is your source for this. AFAIK Princess Astrid has said that she owns the Turqouis parue, I have never heared that the two senior princesses has borrowed jewelleries (except when Astrid was first lady). I think it is an open question if theese will be returned to the main royal brange, I guess it depends on some good will from the familes of the princesses and if HArald/Haakon wants to shell out alot of money to pay for them. I guess what MM will have to choose from is her own and the historic jewellery sonja uses today, Im guesing some of her more modern/private jewellery would go to her daughter maybe, but time will show, all the women in question are still very much alive and breathing:D there are no foundations like in sweden and the netherlands.

I have no written source but it was told by the guide last summer when I wisited the palace in Oslo and the group stopped by a portrait of Queen Alexandra and the guide told us about her jewels when a guest asked about the jewels in the royal family today...

:flowers:

I have no written source but it was told by the guide last summer when I wisited the palace in Oslo and the group stopped by a portrait of Queen Alexandra and the guide told us about her jewels when a guest asked about the jewels in the royal family today...

thank you, I hope the guide was right, It would be a pitty if all those historic jewellery would be sold on the open market:flowers:

Queen Sonia's stolen tiara

I heard some years ago someone stole Queen Sonia one of her tiara's on London airport, when she brought it to London to clean it. What do you know about it ?

I heard some years ago someone stole Queen Sonia one of her tiara's on London airport, when she brought it to London to clean it. What do you know about it ?

It wasn't just one of the tiaras - but several jewels. It happened in 1995.

- The Palace confirmed yesterday that the jewels stolen from
Garrard's in London on Sunday were the property of Queen
Sonja. Among the stolen jewels was a pearl and diamond tiara
that had been a wedding gift to Queen Maud, grandmother of
King Harald.
- http://www.norwaves.com/norwaves/Volume3_1995/v3nw08.html

what an awful episode. it must have been horrible to lose such a valuable piece of jewelery. wasn't it found at all? does anyone have a picture of any of the jewels?

what an awful episode. it must have been horrible to lose such a valuable piece of jewelery. wasn't it found at all? does anyone have a picture of any of the jewels?
They weren't. One of the stolen Jewels was the well-known Queen Maud Pearl Tiara.

The "Queen Maud Pearl Tiara" Queen Sonja wears today is a replicate.

The copy of the Pearl Tiara was made by Gerrad's (the place where the original Tiara was stolen). The Pearls and Diamonds look the same as ones of the original Tiara so you nearly don't see it's a copy.

Information about this Tiara can be found at this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mor/kongelige_s_perle.html

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh why must she wear that thing. She has such beautiful jewelry and she wears that. Does anyone actually like it I wonder? Although it seems it was a gift from her husband, so the sentimental value might very well overshadow the pure ugliness of it I suppose.

One of my favorite Tiaras:
The Queen Maud Pearl Tiara (the big version)

a back view of the Tiara and the pearl necklace and its lock
Scanpix

Bigger picture of (Princess) Sonja wearing full regalia

CP Sonja with Tiara, earrings and more
Scanpix, originally posted here

During her first Portrait as Norwegian Crown Princess Sonja wore the wonderful Queen Josephine's Diamond Tiara with matching Diamond earrings.
Additionally she wore a Diamond bracelet and ring (probably her engagement ring).

It's funny.. sometimes the Tiara looks big and heavy while in other photos it looks really small.. always depnding on Sonja's hairdo. ;)

Here you can see how the Empress Josephine Emerald Tiara has been altered.

This is the altered version, Queen Sonja uses to wear:
Empress Josephine Emerald Tiara

This is the old version (in this picture: worn by Princess Ingeborg)
The old Tiara

The two oval emeralds have been removed from the Tiara, and are now used as earrings.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A HQ Picture of Queen Sonja wearing the gorgeous Tiara
http://www.kongehuset.no/aim/kongehuset/25/64/storage/file.image.jpg/Scale?geometry=1772x2255%3E&Set:quality=100

I love this Tiara! The old and the new version!

Last edited:
For the dinner for the Bishops (in 2007) Queen Sonja wore the Malteser Tiara with all Crosses :
Sonja wearing the Malteser Tiara with all Crosses
(posted by Larzen here)

Sadly we didn't get any other pictures of this (secret :p ) event... I cannot judge from this pictures how this Tiara looked on her.
Usually it looks hideaous with all weird crosses. ... in a way it looks a bit better then usualy this time. ;)

For the dinner for the Bishops (in 2007) Queen Sonja wore the Malteser Tiara with all Crosses :
Sonja wearing the Malteser Tiara with all Crosses
(posted by Larzen here)

Sadly we didn't get any other pictures of this (secret :p ) event... I cannot judge from this pictures how this Tiara looked on her.
Usually it looks hideaous with all weird crosses. ... in a way it looks a bit better then usualy this time. ;)

We can see 3 crosses. didn't Queen Maud it with four crosses ??

We can see 3 crosses. didn't Queen Maud it with four crosses ??
Yes, she did.
Queen Sonja usually wears it with 3 crosses and uses to wear the 4th cross on her sash or neckline.

is there a tiara that could be called queen tiara
is there a tiara that can be comperd to the one in sweden
Braganza tiara.
Only queens has worn that tiara (i think)
and she has only worn it outside sweden once.

Not really a "Queen-Tiara", but the Tiaras Sonja uses to wear are usually just worn by Norway's "First Lady" (which is usually the Queen).
For example the Queen Josephine Tiara; as well as the Empress Josephine Tiara and the Queen Maud Pearl Tiara.
Princess Astrid wore them when she was first Lady.
Sonja wore them since she was Crown Princess (and Norway's first Lady the same time, because CP Märtha died much earlier).
So, I think we won't see any of the Tiaras on Mette-Marit until she becomes Queen. All of this 3 Tiaras are usually just worn by the First Lady (only 1 exeption: Märtha Louise wore the small version of the Queen Maud Tiara for her wedding).

So:
Mette-Marit wears the Amethyst Tiara and her wedding Tiara.
Märtha Louise wears the Olav Gift Tiara and used to wear the Maltheser Tiara when she was younger.
The rest of the Tiaras are all worn by the Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom