Queen Silvia Jewellery 2: September 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to thank you for the back view, too! :) We'd never have seen the small brooch otherwise. It's beautiful and I agree, her hair looks amazing too!

Six pounds...? What's the source?
I don't think so.
See my post # 307 above - I can't imagine why the Swedish Court Jeweler should lie about the Braganza tiara being more lightweight than it appears.

If the tiara was 3kg, I doubt Queen Silvia, or anyone for that matter could even hold her head up while wearing it.:flowers:

Six pounds...? What's the source?
I don't think so.
See my post # 307 above - I can't imagine why the Swedish Court Jeweler should lie about the Braganza tiara being more lightweight than it appears.

I think the source can be Nyhlén and Wretman at Svensk Damtidning. They are both writning on their blogs about the B tiara and they are mention "3 kg" and "almoust 3 kg"

BUT as Boris writes in post 307 the Swedish Court Jeweler told its more lightweight (and he did it in SvDamtidning) AND in SvDam this week we can read that the weight of the Braganza tiara is 1 kg.... Svensdam 30.pdf

(I have no idea whats true... I dont trust SvDam v much ;) )

Queen Silvia looked stunning at her daughters wedding.

Now regarding her Jewels in general, I wished she had more beautiful necklaces for her and her daughter's. :neutral:

Going back to the weight of the braganza , there's no way it weighs 3 kg, I was watching a video on youtube and the crown jeweler of the BRF said the imperial state crown weighs 2 pounds and he said it's a lo!

did silvia wear a watch or was it a bracelet on victorias wedding day
is there any good close up on it

I would think she would wear a bracelet, not a watch to her daughters wedding.

I would think she would wear a bracelet, not a watch to her daughters wedding.

She definitely wore a watch the day of the wedding...perhaps to monitor the time throughout the heavily-scheduled day and make sure that they were staying on schedule. Even though royal and with many coordinators she was still m-o-b!

Thank you - that's a fantastic pic, Soli deo Gloria!
Apart from the fact that her gown was really made in an admirably exquisite way, Queen Silvia indeed wore a bejeweled evening watch for the wedding - most likely in platinum, with the face sourrounded by a row of diamonds.
She used to wear a similar, smaller evening watch in her first years as Queen, but has not worn a bejeweled watch in ages.
This is actually the first time I saw this watch - diamond-studded yet simple and elegant.

Queen Sofia's brooch in Wikipedia entry

Hi, Soli Deo Gloria, and thanks so much for the link to the Wikipedia page on the Swedish jewels. Some of us have been having discussion in CP Victoria's jewelry thread but I am moving it to here. Hope you can provide some information, discussion, etc. as well.

I have many questions that have been bothering me when I have been doing research about the Swedish jewels. On the other thread, with Boris and Josefine's help, I have become convinced that the full parure of cut-steel has never actually been worn (see CP Victoria's jewel thread).

As usually happens with hunting, I develop many more questions and hope to generate some information-sharing, investigation, and accurate information.

Here goes with my first nagging question. On the Wikipedia link there is a larger version of Queen Sofia wearing the Braganca Diamond Tiara. It is the only pic I have ever seen of her wearing this piece. At her neck is a very large brooch that, IMO, resembles the brooch from the Bernadotte Emerald Suite, the one that was once a belt buckle. It has a central emerald and many diamonds surrounding to make it almost a rectangle shape. Could my hunch be correct that this is actually the same brooch?

Thanks for any responses and corrections!

Rascal

:previous:
Rascal this is the only picture I could find of the Emerald demi-parure
Emerald Demiparure

Is the center brooch the large one the one you refer to?

Rascal, that's an interesting observation about the brooch worn by Queen Sofia von Nassau in the pic from the wikipedia link!

The brooch worn on the neck is not the one from the emerald suite but most likely the corsage brooch from the grand parure of pink tourmalines and diamonds.
The parure is said to have originally belonged to Queen Josefina and was given to Princess Sofia as a wedding gift.
(In his book about the Bernadotte jewels, Göran Alm unfortunately mis-identifies the set as 'white sapphires' - one of the mistakes he made, apart from the many omissions of his book which represent its real shortcomings.)
The parure left the main branch of the Bernadotte family, which is a real pity, when Queen Sofia gave it to her daughter-in-law Ebba Bernadotte. Estelle Bernadotte still wore it to the wedding of King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia, but suspiciously it has not been seen during the recent royal wedding.

For comparison, here's a clear pic of the parure including the corsage brooch as worn by Estelle Bernadotte in the 1960s:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1507/estellebpinktourmalines.jpg

In this wikipedia link abowe you can read that theweight of the Braganza tiara is 3 kg.... but the source is Lotta Wretman at Svensk Damtidning (I was writing about it in post #308) I know I know, im going on about this but to me 3 kg sounds sooooooo strange

And Rascal: Its very fun and interesting being a royal jewel detective :) and the questions about Queen Sophias brooch is interesting.... but maybe belongs to another thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/swedish-royal-jewels-of-the-past-515.html ;) And I have another Queen Sophia question there...

Or maybe we need a new thread called "Bernadotte jewels now and then" or similar;) to connect the different, but similar threads about them...?

jonc93, thanks for the link to the picture. Yes, this is the brooch to which I am referring. If not for the rounded elements on each side, it would be a more defined rectangular shape.

Boris, I remembered about the pink tourmaline parure and before my first post had compared the picture of Queen Sofia with every other pic I have of her and any pictures of jewelry associated with her. The corsage brooch worn by estelle in the pic you posted can't be the same one on Sofia. The central stone on Estelle's brooch is MUCH larger than the one on Sofia and doesn't have the "fullness" of diamonds on the top and bottom. What may look similar is the trio of drops on Estelle's brooch and the three stones under the brooch on Sofia. But if you look closely at Sofia's picture, there is a single pendant from what appears to be a necklace of matched stones that extend to her shoulder area. The poufy sleeves and fur cover the "sides" of the necklace but you can see parts of the stones ascending up her chest area.

Based on jonc93's post, I am even more convinced that the large brooch at Sofia's neck is the one from the emerald demi-parure. It has the same outline and the same shape of central stone. In addition, the central stone is in the same proportion to the surrounding diamond stones. If I am correct, this would be the oldest photograph of the emeralds being worn in the Bernadotte line (unless there is one of which I am unaware).

Thanks for the responses and help. LOL...as usual, more questions/speculation to follow. ;)

Rascal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I didn't notice that the 'three drops' underneath the brooch worn by Queen Sophia indeed appear to be part of (mostly hidden) necklace.
It does not look like the necklace from the Bernadotte emerald set though (the stones are set in much narrower clusters of diamonds, and I believe there are pendants attached)), but more like the original setting of the emerald necklace which is part of the emerald parure that is now with the Norwegian Royal Family... intriguing.

Btw., regarding the wikipedia site, as great as it is that someone (who...? Might s/he be around here?) put together a lot of correct information, there are quite a lot of unnecessary mistakes too... especially treating 'Svensk Damtidning's' blogger Lotta as a reliable source is not a good idea.
(Her blog, both its fashion and jewelry info, is almost entirely copied from internet MBs, heavily also from The Royal Forums, including every misinformation included by posters. She hardly ever writes or knows anything herself and is no original source.)

It does not look like the necklace from the Bernadotte emerald set though (the stones are set in much narrower clusters of diamonds, and I believe there are pendants attached)), but more like the original setting of the emerald necklace which is part of the emerald parure that is now with the Norwegian Royal Family... intriguing.

I agree, the necklace cannot be the one that is in the current emerald demi-parure, stones and settings are too small, as well as there being no pendant. And I didn't consider it before but I believe you are correct in that the necklace Sofia is wearing is part of the emerald parure which is now in Norway. I looked at pictures of Sonja from the Swedish wedding and compared to this one. The stones are equal is size, setting, and number (as much as we can see) and the pendant is identical to the one from the necklace worn by Sonja. In addition, as this parure did not arrive in Norway until the birth of Crown Prince Olav, the timeline would be correct for Sofia to still have and wear them. As this is an emerald necklace, it increases even more my belief that the brooch is the "belt buckle" from the Swedish emerald demi-parure.

Btw., regarding the wikipedia site, as great as it is that someone (who...? Might s/he be around here?) put together a lot of correct information, there are quite a lot of unnecessary mistakes too... especially treating 'Svensk Damtidning's' blogger Lotta as a reliable source is not a good idea.
(Her blog, both its fashion and jewelry info, is almost entirely copied from internet MBs, heavily also from The Royal Forums, including every misinformation included by posters. She hardly ever writes or knows anything herself and is no original source.)

LOL, Boris. I agree about the misinformation that wikipedia can provide. Although most of the information seemed correct or close to it, there was some that I question. But I have also learned in my hunt that ALL information is to be questioned, scrutinized and believed at one's own risk. This emerald brooch, for instance. I am now completely convinced that I am correct. And even if I have 100 of the most learned scholars on Swedish royal jewelry in a room and said this, maybe not half, but more than a couple would argue that I am wrong. One thing I do know...I consider the discussion in this forum, while not always accurate, to be more revealing of the truth than what is posted by the royal bloggers for the tabloids.

Who has worn what? - Updated list 08-17-2010

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :)), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only)

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal

I found an old edition of "Frau mit Herz" from 1983. They had a special suppliment called "Königin Silvia" and in there they wrote about "Silvia im Glanz wunderschöner Kronen und Diademe". Nice pictures and under the picture of her wearing the Braganza tiara they wrote: "Das Krönungsdiadem weight ein Kilo und ist 12 cm hoch".
Ergo: 1 kilo :)

And by the way: Whats the english name of these earrings?http://lotta.svenskdam.se/files/2010/05/SilviaNobel1979N%C3%A4ra.jpg
(picture from Nobel 1979) In Swedish they are just called "the large brilliant earrings" if Im correct?

Hi, Lady H. The earrings in the image you attached have been referred to on some sites as The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings. In the post just above yours, Soli Deo Gloria has attached an image from the 1978 Nobel ceremonies with Queen Silvia wearing these earrings. She refers to them correctly in the same manner in which they are identified on the Swedish Wikipedia website as the "large brilliant earrings", which sounds more like a description but is how they have posted in the description of the Swedish jewels.

I am not sure if these actually have a "name", which may be why the Wikipedia refers to them with a descriptive label. If they had come to Sweden with the French Marshal Bernadotte, it would stand to reason that they would be called the Bernadotte earrings, but they are not depicted on any Swedish royal lady until Queen Lovisa of Sweden, the daughter-in-law of Bernadotte's son, the later Oscar I, and his wife, Josephine.

The Vasa Earrings are longer and have a teardrop shape. They are the ones worn by Madeleine for the gala concert the night before Victoria and Daniel's wedding.

Hope this answers your question!

Rascal

You're very welcome! And may I suggest searching through the postings by Josefine and Boris? They have been a great help to me in this area and I learned a lot.

Have a great day!

Unfortunately, the link posted by Lady H does not work for me, but I figure that these earrings are the ones being discussed...?

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8320/earring2ed6.jpg

This pair of earrings did belong to Queen Désirée indeed, and was made part of the first and original Bernadotte Foundation, established by the first Bernadotte King Karl XIV Johan, aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.
Therefore, it would be quite correct to refer to them as the 'Bernadotte' earrings.
These earrings are the most frequently worn by Queen Silvia for gala events throughout the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom