Queen Paola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually think she might leave something to Claire and Louise, as they clearly have a close relationship. For the rest, I rather agree with you
Probably she will give her most important jewels (ex: the Art-Deco Tiara) to King Philippe and some jewels to Claire and Louise

Why do you think she won’t leave anything to Mathilde? Are they in bad terms?

Why do you think she won’t leave anything to Mathilde? Are they in bad terms?
They have different personalities, and Paola is clearly closer to Claire (and Astrid, of course).
That said, I do think that in the last few years the relationship between the current and former royal couples have definitely improved (if compared to the first years of Philippe's reign), so I guess we'll see what is going to happen with the jewels, we can't know for sure as of now

But tiaras are for the royal family's main line, right?

For the first time , Queen Mathilde is bying jewels at Autions , at least 3 Brooches. The Queen knows that is the only way to wear them now.

Probably she will give her most important jewels (ex: the Art-Deco Tiara) to King Philippe and some jewels to Claire and Louise
Her most important Jewels are the art deco bandeau and her 2 diamond necklaces. The most logical would be to divide them between her 3 children with each given one of those.

Her most important Jewels are the art deco bandeau and her 2 diamond necklaces. The most logical would be to divide them between her 3 children with each given one of those.
Or she might think of where the jewellery is most likely to be required (Phillipe & Mathilde), and make financial provisions for the others. I think it would be very sad if the Queen Elizabeth bandeau left the main line.

. I think it would be very sad if the Queen Elizabeth bandeau left the main line.
I agree with you and would be like Belgian jewel blunder history repeating itself!

It would be a blunder but as the design of the bandeau is very simular in 'feel' to the simplified version of the Nine provinces it will not limit the options of the Queen that much. As the only tiara/jewel in the collection dating before Queen Astrid it would be a pity to see it go nontheless. I don't think they even have anything even from the 19th century.

Personally I still find it a great pity that neither King Albert nor CP Philippe at the time tried to acquire the Belgian pieces of Pss Marie Gabrielle of Italy, which have been auctioned of. King Juan Carlos had a different approach to family jewels, [though he perhaps had more money at his disposal with or without dubious origins.] The Flanders pearl tiara really didn't sell for that much money.

King Albert and Queen Paola really did nothing to replenish the empty jewel vault.
Yachts and villas were more important.

They had to buy one Tiara , the Wedding tiara of Claire Coombs . Royal tiaras were available at that time , but the Royal Palace refused : too expensive !

King Albert and Queen Paola really did nothing to replenish the empty jewel vault.
Yachts and villas were more important.
Paola had two tiaras at her disposal as Queen (the Nine Provinces and the Art Déco) and she probably thought it was enough, as she didn't have many tiara appearances anyway.
They invested money in things they certainly found more useful, like their yacht AlPa, which they've used a lot to go on holiday in the Mediterranean Sea and that they've now sold, and a few properties, i.e. their villa in Châteauneuf-de-Grasse, where they still go and invite their family, and the vicarage in Villers-sur-Lesse they've donated to Laurent's three children
It would be a blunder but as the design of the bandeau is very simular in 'feel' to the simplified version of the Nine provinces it will not limit the options of the Queen that much.
It would certainly be a pity, but I don't see any strong indication that it's happening. Astrid has worn it only once, in 2016 during the German State visit to Belgium: if Paola really had gifted the Art Deco to her daughter as people claim, Astrid would have worn it on other occasions, which she didn't. I know Lili wore it on her wedding day to Amedeo in 2014, but it's rather logical since she was marrying Paola's eldest grandchild (and also godchild) in Rome, and no indication that Astrid is the current owner of the tiara

I'm convinced that Maria Laura also could have borrowed the art deco tiara. Maybe it was a tribute to her late grand-mother, maybe she preferred the design of the Aosta tiara... whatever her reasons, it's difficult to imagine that Paola would have denied the tiara to her.
I'm just a bit disappointed, that Princess Elisabeth didn't borrow the art deco tiara. But maybe she wants to save it for her wedding? I just hope that it remains in the main line.

I'm convinced that Maria Laura also could have borrowed the art deco tiara. Maybe it was a tribute to her late grand-mother, maybe she preferred the design of the Aosta tiara... whatever her reasons, it's difficult to imagine that Paola would have denied the tiara
I had read at the time of Laura's wedding that she wanted to have something from both her grandmothers on her big day: she wore Paola's heirloom veil and the Aosta tiara as a nod to her late paternal grandmother Margherita

I often wondered why Queen Paola never wore either of Queen Fabiola's tiaras during her queenship?
The one or the other tiara in the vault might work for a non reigning family but its quite poor for a reigning one.

I often wondered why Queen Paola never wore either of Queen Fabiola's tiaras during her queenship?
The one or the other tiara in the vault might work for a non reigning family but its quite poor for a reigning one.
Simply because the belonged to Queen Fabiola and she obviously did not offer them to her sister-in-law.
It is a pity that the belgian royal Ladies don’t share their Jewels as everything is privately owned and not in Trusts.

Simply because the belonged to Queen Fabiola and she obviously did not offer them to her sister-in-law.
It is a pity that the belgian royal Ladies don’t share their Jewels as everything is privately owned and not in Trusts.
A Jewellery Foundation would solve that if they out their heads together.

Princess Elisabeth was allowed to wear the Wolfers tiara recently. So, apparently, the attitude towards jewel sharing has seems to have changed.

Princess Elisabeth was allowed to wear the Wolfers tiara recently. So, apparently, the attitude towards jewel sharing has seems to have changed.
Thankfully Queen Mathilde is a breathe of Fresh air on the Belgian jewel front !

And it probably helps that the mother-daughter bond is stronger than the bond between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.

Back
Top Bottom