Queen Maud Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't it be wonderful too see it worn again by a Norwegian royal...possibly at Prince Carl Philips wedding ?

Wouldn't it be wonderful too see it worn again by a Norwegian royal...possibly at Prince Carl Philips wedding ?

Quite right. I would especially love to see MM wear it - divine justice for all the negative comments from Ragnahild re MM!

There seems to be only one picture of Queen Maud wearing this bandeau. It hasn't been seen by any other wearer and nothing is known about this mysterious jewel. It looks a very interesting belle epoche style to me and I'd love to see it again.

copyright expired

Beautiful collection. I prefer more the Turquoise tiara.

It is a pity that there are no decent pictures of Queen Maud with the turquoise tiara. For official portraits she definitely preferred the diamond tiara or the pearl tiara.

Maud and Carl (Haakon VII) had only one child, a son. Did ALL Maud's jewellery (some of it of course wedding gifts) get left to her daughter in law, Martha? Why are so many tiaras, necklaces etc supposedly tucked away in the vaults since that time? Wouldn't Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid have been given one or two pieces each?

I don't follow necklaces and other jewels so much, but Queen Maud's tiaras haven't been tucked away in the vaults. Queen Sonja has worn the bandeau with the crosses, the vifte tiara and the pearl tiara.

Princesses Astrid and Ragnhild each received one of her tiaras for life: Astrid got the turquoise tiara, Ragnhild the diamond tiara. Both Princesses have worn the jewels from time to time. Princess Astrid even wears the two aigrettes, which were never publicly seen on Queen Maud.

The only missing tiara is a small bandeau of unknown origin. It possibly wasn't very valuable, or it could have been broken up to re-use the material.

I don't follow necklaces and other jewels so much, but Queen Maud's tiaras haven't been tucked away in the vaults.

The only missing tiara is a small bandeau of unknown origin. It possibly wasn't very valuable, or it could have been broken up to re-use the material.

Also missing is the diamond and pearl necklace she wore at the coronation in 2006 and i think also in the second pic in the Blog entry (where she is in mourning for Queen Victoria)

Last edited:
It is a pity that there are no decent pictures of Queen Maud with the turquoise tiara. For official portraits she definitely preferred the diamond tiara or the pearl tiara.

The reason is probably that she inherited the turqiose tiara only after the death of her mother in 1925 and most officail pics in Gala where made before that. But there is also a official pic where she wears the Malteser Cross tiara.

I think that necklace was one of the wedding presents, wasn't it? Somehow I can't imagine that it is still lying in the vault, more likely it was dismantled. Did the NRF have to sell jewels during the years of exile and occupation?

I think that necklace was one of the wedding presents, wasn't it? Somehow I can't imagine that it is still lying in the vault, more likely it was dismantled. Did the NRF have to sell jewels during the years of exile and occupation?

Most of Queen Maud's jewels are said to have spent the years between the coronations of George VI and Elisabeth II in a vault in London so even if they did need to sell something to make ends meet they couldn't. Queen Maud had brought them to London to get them cleaned and when she died they stayed there and wasn't brought back until Olav and Märtha went to London for the coronation.
Märtha got her mother Ingenorgs Emerald tiara at Stockholm's Central station before going to USA which her mother intended for her to sell if in need of money. Since she didn't I guess they were ok financially.
Märtha did get her hat sold while visiting the milliner where Margarethe of Bourbon-Parma worked in New York but that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I also beleive it was one of the Wedding gifts. Really strange about the remains of the necklace. I also think if it would be still in the Vaults Queen Sonka would have worn it. But if it was dismalteld i wonder what Jewels they made o it. For most of the norwegian Jewels we know the background. And of it they could have made quiet a few pieces. Perhaps it was with Princess Ragnhild and she never wore it.

I know that princess Astrid inherited some of queen Mauds wedding presents.She has worn both the bow broach given by Lord and Lady Rothschild and the diamond pin given to her by prince Carl (Later king Haakon VII).

:previous: That is interesting. Usually it is said that Queen Maud had all her jewels with her in England when she died shortly before WWII. Because of the war the jewels stayed in England, and the NRF only retrieved the jewels in 1953 at the coronation. At the time CP Märtha was already too sick to wear the jewels.

So if Märtha wore some of Maud's jewels, it must mean that she either received them as gifts during Maud's lifetime, or Maud left some of her jewels in Norway when she went to visit her family in England.

I am wonder did King Haakon give any tiara to queen Maud? It seems all of her jewels come from England.

I don't know of any tiara given by her husband. But then Denmark was a much poorer court than the English, and Norway wasn't exactly a rich country when Haakon became King.

Princess Maud received a diamond and emerald bracelet from the King of the Hellenes as a wedding present. Was it the same emerald bracelet she wore for her coronation as Queen of Norway?

Princess Maud received a diamond and emerald bracelet from the King of the Hellenes as a wedding present. Was it the same emerald bracelet she wore for her coronation as Queen of Norway?

No real confirmation, as there are no photos of the wedding bracelet. But the description matches the bracelet in the coronation pictures, so quite likely.

Is it still in the family strange that queen Sonja has not worn it.

Its a very versatile looking piece and wondered what it would look like as a tiara?

That necklace was one of Queen Maud's wedding gifts, and yes, it was convertible into a tiara. I once saw an old illustration of it on it's tiara frame. But there are no known photos of Queen Maud wearing it as a tiara.

I don't really expect to ever see it again. It hasn't been seen on neither Sonja, Astrid nor Ragnhild, which makes me think that it must have been broken up or sold. It's hard to find another explanation for a perfectly lovely and wearable jewel to stay hidden in the vault. The Norwegian Royal House don't have that many heirloom jewels. But of course I'd love to be proven wrong. It would be beyond lovely to see Princess Ingrid Alexandra wearing this lovely pearl tiara!

That necklace was one of Queen Maud's wedding gifts, and yes, it was convertible into a tiara. I once saw an old illustration of it on it's tiara frame. But there are no known photos of Queen Maud wearing it as a tiara.

I don't really expect to ever see it again. It hasn't been seen on neither Sonja, Astrid nor Ragnhild, which makes me think that it must have been broken up or sold. It's hard to find another explanation for a perfectly lovely and wearable jewel to stay hidden in the vault. The Norwegian Royal House don't have that many heirloom jewels. But of course I'd love to be proven wrong. It would be beyond lovely to see Princess Ingrid Alexandra wearing this lovely pearl tiara!

And to add the last time it was seen oin Queen Maud was at the coronation in 1906. So i don't think it is still with the norwegian royals. But would be intersting to know what happened to it.

Back
Top Bottom