The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
That may have been a while ago, but if I am not mistaken, this is the necklace that Max wore to V&D’s wedding in 2010. Also, when Max has worn the Festoon tiara, it has not had a base.
I think the connection is that the festoons from the tiara can be attached to this necklace, so that it becomes a festoon necklace.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
That must be a Dutch/Wilhelmina thing, considering many other queens and royal ladies of the time wore them?
Queen Emma never wore them either, although I have read that she usually ordered her parures with earrings. Her sister Queen Pauline of Württemberg is pictured with the Württemberg topaz parure but without the earrings. Another sister the Duchess of Albany seems to have worn some small earrings from time to time. I believe it was professor Fasseur who wrote in his Wilhelmina biographies that some thought that the real reason for Queen WIlhelmina not wearing earrings was not to attract attention to her rather large earlobes.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
That must be a Dutch/Wilhelmina thing, considering many other queens and royal ladies of the time wore them?
Dutch Wilhelmina thing??

The aquamarine set was a gift by her parents to a young Princess Juliana.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Queen Emma never wore them either, although I have read that she usually ordered her parures with earrings. Her sister Queen Pauline of Württemberg is pictured with the Württemberg topaz parure but without the earrings. Another sister the Duchess of Albany seems to have worn some small earrings from time to time. I believe it was professor Fasseur who wrote in his Wilhelmina biographies that some thought that the real reason for Queen WIlhelmina not wearing earrings was not to attract attention to her rather large earlobes.
In Imperial Austria it was Franz Jozef II who disliked ear jewellery,for the ladies ofcourse,so,our Wilhelmina was not alone.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

And if you didn’t have large earlobes before, you certainly would have them after wearing those big rocks!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
In Imperial Austria it was Franz Jozef II who disliked ear jewellery,for the ladies ofcourse,so,our Wilhelmina was not alone.
Their contemporary Queen Victoria of Sweden never wore earrings. It was during her lifetime that the original earrings of the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure got lost.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Tonight Queen Máxima has worn a diamond ear of wheat in her hair. The jewel does not come from the ears of wheat tiara but from a rather beautiful brooch that was broken up.

https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/mo...ontraprestatie (scoll down).

Some information as posted on the website:

The jewel belonged to Queen Catherine of Württemberg, née GDss of Russia. It was inherited by her youngest daughter, who later became Queen Sophie of the Netherlands. After that it went to Sophie's son the unfortunate prince Alexander and later it was inherited by Alexander's half-sister Queen Wilhelmina. I am not sure if they were ever used by Queen Beatrix.

The aquamarine necklace was ordered at jeweller Burnier in The Hague and was a gift from Queen Emma to her grand daughter Juliana.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

I wouldn't have believed the necklace was so old... It looks quite modern!

Is that Art Deco?
Old 07-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The aquamarine necklace is just stunning a very lovely piece.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Majesty

It is! And it goes really well with this dress (so much better than yesterday's combination).
Old 07-06-2021, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
When it comes to the tiara, I'm in team Luxembourg. Imo, it looks more balanced with the central diamond prong, and it's usually the best look for a tiara to have the highest spot right in the middle. On the other hand, I'm delighted to see yet another version of this gorgeous and historic jewel! And I wonder, if the side prongs are removable as well, as that might make another pleasing, more bandeau-like version.

The earrings were a bit too much for my taste. While being gorgeous in themselves, they look so chunky that they are a bit lacking in elegance. Queen Maxima wore some smaller (yet still big) diamond earrings at the British SV with the large setting of the tiara, and I prefer that look.

As for the Stuart diamond in a brooch setting: I believe that a custom made one shoulder dress, like the one she wore, could easily be strengthened at the shoulder in order to support such a heavy brooch. But this particular gown with it's rich embroidery was probably best left brooch-less.

PS. I agree that the hairstyle complemented the tiara perfectly.
Apparently the earrings are unused parts of the tiara. That's probably why they seem chunky; they are supposed to be major diamonds on top the tiara.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I also think the weight is the Problem that she wears the big broochs usually down on the gowns. perhsp she should have specially evening gownns made for them where the material of the gowns is thicker at that part.

I was sure I read a long time ago that some royal ladies had thicker stiffened material draped from the shoulder seam underneath so that the old style heavier gems did not drag down the lighter more delicate material of a gown on the outside. Possibly a trick still used today, however you don't see the heavy old gems worn that often now.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Thank you for sharing this information. It might help explain the lack of any serious earrings in the collection.
In the meantime there are impressive earrings with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, aquamarines, pearls, name them all. Some original parures had earrings anyway but until Queen Juliana these were not seen as very desirable for royal ladies.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hey all!! Going back to the pearls these are some of my faves of Max. They have white, golden, gray and black pearls interchangeable. She has had them for years but they are always fresh imo.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The jewels on this State Visit have been splendid all of the pieces worn were very beautiful.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Wow Maxima in Germany and her jewellery choices - missed seeing the historic jewels like this during 2020 and covid!

The pearl earrings are divine with their interchangeable drops

Old 09-13-2021, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The Queen is wearing the smaller version of the Stuart tiara in Germany tonight. Two big diamonds of the tiara were used as earrings. She has added the big diamond rivière and the bracelets that were made from Juliana's dismantled bracelet of the Indies.

https://twitter.com/josineevers/stat...317924866?s=20

Added: in Luxembourg a diamond was still added above the middle part of the tiara. Now that diamond seems to be missing.
I love that version of the tiara. Very stunning and regal.

Tags
jewels, queen maxima