Queen Juliana of the Netherlands Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Belgians do have a few big guns, the Nine provinces and Spanish wedding especially when worn in full form, definitely can rival many tiaras. The Elizabeth Cartier is also stunning even if not the level of the Stuart. I don't think the size of a visiting tiara likely plays a deciding factor but I could be wrong.

But I do think she will wait for a special event for it to appear.

I would say that state visit to the UK would be a likely first outing for the tiara again. Sadly, there will not be one any time soon. Otherwise, perhaps WA's 50th birthday -if it is a tiara event.

It is very strange that the necklace is not worn either, it seems easier to wear than the tiara, and the Queen does like necklaces every now and then (unlike Beatrix who seldom wore big necklaces).

I suppose the frames of both the tiara and the necklace may be in a bad condition and make the piece unwearable. The jewels are in a foundation, with an annual budget, so perhaps there is simply no meney in the foundation to have them reset yet. It seems such a waste to let the best diamond(s) of the collection gather dust for nearly half a century.

Last edited:
The Belgians do have a few big guns, the Nine provinces and Spanish wedding especially when worn in full form, definitely can rival many tiaras. The Elizabeth Cartier is also stunning even if not the level of the Stuart. I don't think the size of a visiting tiara likely plays a deciding factor but I could be wrong.

But I do think she will wait for a special event for it to appear.

The Cartier Diadem from the late Queen Elizabeth is -sadly- no longer in the collection of the Belgian royal family.

The Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem is big in volume, especially worn in the version with the fleurons, but in essence it is a beautiful monture filled with millegrain diamonds set en pavé. The main stones are aquamarines, red half-gems and green half-gems. There are no power-carat diamonds in that (beautiful!) multi-purpose diadem: picture.

Remains the Nine Provinces Diadem. Also lots of millegrain diamonds in scrollwork. The eleven big diamonds are impressive. However these eleven have a yellow tint which lowers their price: the less body color in a white diamond, the more true color it will reflect, and thus the greater its value. A clear picture with the colour difference.

I hope to see Queen Máxima at a fantastic bedecked table in the Royal Palace Amsterdam, dazzling with her very best and oldest family diamonds (picture), but I am not sure this will happen when the King and Queen of the Belgians hop over...

Last edited:
The Cartier Diadem from the late Queen Elizabeth is -sadly- no longer in the collection of the Belgian royal family.

The Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem is big in volume, especially worn in the version with the fleurons, but in essence it is a beautiful monture filled with millegrain diamonds set en pavé. The main stones are aquamarines, red half-gems and green half-gems. There are no power-carat diamonds in that (beautiful!) multi-purpose diadem: picture.

What a lovely tiara! I love aquamarines.

What a lovely tiara! I love aquamarines.

Let us hope Queen Mathilde will wear it in Amsterdam or The Hague indeed. Then this would indicate this was handed over before the late Queen Fabioa left "everything" to the Fondation Œuvres de la Reine/Werken van de Koningin.

I would say that state visit to the UK would be a likely first outing for the tiara again. Sadly, there will not be one any time soon. Otherwise, perhaps WA's 50th birthday -if it is a tiara event.

But Máxima culd wear it for an official pic. Not need to wait for an occasion to wear it.

Would love to see it worn by queen Máxima whom I believe would wear it very well and do it justice!

Imo an official picture would be the best option to wear it for the first time. Maybe she is keeping it for a special event, like the King's tenth jubilee. Or even better (for us, because the wait is not so long), the King's fiftieth birthday next year. And if she intends to wear it to a State Visit first, I assume that it would be rather an incoming SV than an outgoing one.

As a wedding gift did Juliana receive a necklace that had belonged to Queen Emma?

Was Juliana's diamond bracelet a jewellery item that had originally been in the Dutch Royal Jewels?

No it was a brand new wedding gift made of a platinum monture with 1.700 brilliant cut diamonds. It has not been seen anymore in the original state since hafway the 1970's.

In the 2000's Princess Máxima appeared with parts of the massive bracelet assembled into two smaller, better wearable, bracelets. The original settings are still visible in these. So maybe it can be re-assembled in original state, when she wants to go all-out in diamond power.

The bracelet in original state: https://pubblestorage.blob.core.win...17/6/d3430ad8-2928-4594-9321-46a5c7c6c2a8.jpg

The two smaller, re-assembled bracelets, which are recognizeable as the bands around the various modules of the original setting:
http://www.europeanroyaltyandnobility.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/©RPE_9608.jpg

Last edited:
Juliana wearring the ears of wheat tiara (only 6 of the 10 ears) and a nice necklace, originally made for Queen Wilhelmina. This necklace was worn as circlet on the head once, at an engagement in the US, attended by Eleonor Roosevelt (not a succes IMO). Maxima wore the necklace at the wedding of Martha-Louise in Trondheim, but the sapphire's were replaced by diamonds. Queen Beatrix never wore the necklace.

Now, what do you think Dame Edna would be more jealous of, the jewels or the glasses?

Pic from Corbis

JulianaM.jpg
From which event is this photo (date?)

From the State Visit from Finland to the Netherlands on October 25th 1972 (source: The Court Jeweller)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom