Queen Frederika of Greece Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The diamond tiara was Queen Sophie's wedding gift from her mother, The Empress Frederick of Germany. It may have been sold during Fredericka's exile from Greece, however, some sources are saying it remains with her family (the Hanovers?) as part of their inheritance.

Either way it hasn't been seen in years. The emeralds are with Queen Anne-Marie.

Anne Marie is wearing Frederica's jewels in a more simple way, shorter necklaces, less emeralds which is much better.

Some of Frederica's jewels are still belonging to Princess Irene.
I wonder if she will give them to Sophia or to Anne-Marie.
I should prefer Sophia because Marie-Chantal has enough , her fringe tiara was her father's present!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, only due to the fact that the Spanish are reigning royals, ane will hopefully be properly used.

What about Princess Alexia and Princess Teodora ?

Did Frederica's big diamand tiara, nowadays sold , belong to Princess Nicolas of Greece born Elisabeth , Grand-Duchess of Russia ?

Did Frederica's big diamand tiara, nowadays sold , belong to Princess Nicolas of Greece born Elisabeth , Grand-Duchess of Russia ?

No, it was a wedding gift from Empress Frederick to her daughter, Princess Sophie of Prussia, when she married Crown Prince Constantine of the Hellenes. Queen Sophie left it to the Greek Royal House as part of the crown collection.

Espejor this is diamond & ruby laur wreth tiara, in your photo you can see the whole parue. Now it belongs to Queen Anne Marie, she got it as a wedding gift from Queen Frederika.

Does anyone know what stones are in this convertable Tiara necklace that princess Irene inherited?
They are pearls, Ive seen it in close ups. Does any black and white photo expert or jewels expert know what kind of stone it is ih Frederika's brooch ?:flowers: I ask because the brooch seems to be a,errhm, substancial piece:D, and I am intrigued a little to know more about it.

P.s I also just found a coloured picture from Alexia's christening where I think she is wearing the same brooch

http://media3.corbisimages.com/CorbisImage/hover/12/70/5425/12705425/U1498544.jpg

Last edited:
so more then 40 years since we saw her tiara
its were worn by Marie Chantel in denmark 2012

this mus count as the big suprice in 2012, i wonder if it could be anything bigger this year for royal jewllery watchers

The big question for me and perhaps for others is why wasn't the tiara worn in the interim if it still remained in the family.

Baroness of Books said:
The big question for me and perhaps for others is why wasn't the tiara worn in the interim if it still remained in the family.

It's a very good question... But futile to speculate - we won't know until a statement is made by Queen Anne-Marie - we also don't know to whom the tiara was left and also it is very much associated with Queen Frederika (even though it was originally Queen Sophie's) so maybe Queen Anne-Marie didn't feel right about wearing it, much the same situation as Queen Elizabeth II and her mother's Boucheron honeycomb tiara, it is a spectacular piece, yet she has passed it to the Duchess of Cornwall to wear. Speculation was rife about the Delhi Durbar Diadem - yet Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had it all the time and once again the Duchess of Cornwall is seen wearing it. There are numerous possible reasons why we have not seen the tiara for decades.

Thank you for the information about the Boucheron and Delhi tiaras - I didn't realize that they were left idling in the vaults as they were and possibly the same occurred with this tiara for the same reasons. Anything is possible. It's always sad to see a valuable and important jewel languish away because of strong association with a certain wearer when they were made to be worn. I'm glad the decision was finally made to allow it to see the light of day (or night, in this case), but I doubt very much, though, that Anne-Marie would make public the reasons for its long absence.

And I found this color photo of the lovely Queen Frederika wearing the tiara along with her emeralds:

http://www.pricescope.com/files/images/frederica.jpg

Last edited:
It's really lovely to see how the emerald tiara looks as a necklace; I never realized it started out this way. I can't quite make out if she's wearing the cluster of emeralds as a pendant or brooch, but I definitely prefer it as the latter.

:previous: It didn't started out as a necklace , it first "real" setting was into a 20s style bandeau by Elisabeta of Romania, and she then remodeled it into a kokoshnik inspired by the kokoshnik of her sister Marie- hence the E motifs. Frederika later removed the top line of diamonds , to make it more convertible and less kokoshnik- like and wore the piece in three ways- the emeralds as brooches at least one (at Elisabeth and Philip's wedding, pined in her sash ), as a tiara (I ve found only five pictures of that) and like 1000 times as a necklace ;)

That's fascinating information, Snowflower, thank you. It's amazing how many modifications can be made to jewels over the years; I'm just familiar with the current tiara look that Anne Marie wears.

What is that enormus pendat the queen is wearing? Sapphire?

What is that enormus pendat the queen is wearing? Sapphire?
Yes, it's one of Queen Frederika's sapphire necklaces.

Image cropped from a larger one and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• QueenFriderikiandQueenIngrid3.jpg
    QueenFriderikiandQueenIngrid3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18,823
Yes, it's one of Queen Frederika's sapphire necklaces.

Image cropped from a larger one and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Isn't it stunning!

I wonder if its still in the family? The Greek Royal Family did have a nice collection in the royal jewel chest,one wonders if Greece was still a Monarchy how that collection may have grown!

:previous: It's no longer in the family. It was auctioned by Christie's but I am not sure if it was by the GRF or if they had already sold it to the one who put it for auction. It has quite a history -before Frederika it belonged to Queen Marie of Romania, who got it from her husband as a gift and wore it the day of their coronation. When she died she willed it to her grandson Michael, WHo sold it to an unknown to us Greek magnate, who gifted it to Frederika. I think it weights only around 450 carats:D

EDIT: Found it http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...0982&sid=1a54fa34-09ea-4827-b47c-5be50182470b

Last edited:
Greek crown jewelery during WW2

Hello,

is here anybody who can tell me if during second world war was lost (stolen or anything else) any greek royal crown?

Because I have serious information to found greek royal crown.

Thank you for your answers I hope for more usefull information

On the occasion of Queen Sofia of Spain's 75th birthday ABC.es released some photos of Sofia throughout her life. This one is Sofia with newborn Prince Felipe and her her mother and grandmother or Juan Carlos' mother. I noticed Frederika's many layers of pearls and most notably her gorgeous sapphire and diamond earrings. Does anyone know if
they're in the family, either with Sofia, Irene or maybe with Anne Marie?

http://oi43.tinypic.com/s63rwz.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5440/67cj.jpg

Last edited:
On the occasion of Queen Sofia of Spain's 75th birthday ABC.es released some photos of Sofia throughout her life. This one is Sofia with newborn Prince Felipe and her her mother and grandmother or Juan Carlos' mother. I noticed Frederika's many layers of pearls and most notably her gorgeous sapphire and diamond earrings. Does anyone know if
they're in the family, either with Sofia, Irene or maybe with Anne Marie?

http://oi43.tinypic.com/s63rwz.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5440/67cj.jpg

Yes I've often wondered what became of them after queen Frederika's death.

Back
Top Bottom