Queen Fabiola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
the aquamarine tiara was a version of the spanish tiara. It was this sonce she wore in 2000/2001.
The Wolfers tiara was not worn since the death of King Baudouin

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one is the empire diamond tiara ?
I know her Wolfers tiara , her Spanish tiara in 2 versions with different stones rubies and aigue-marines .
Since King Baudoin's death she decided not to wear important jewelry except for the King of Spain's State Visit.
Queen Astrid's tiara is the tiara of the Consort Queen , now her sister-in-law Paola.
We know that King Baudouin inherited jewelry from his late mother Queen Astrid perhaps emeralds but we never saw them .
I hope she will give her jewels to Mathilde who has only one and to Astrid who has nothing the tiara she is always wears is a loan from her mother-in-law born Princess of Aosta.

The empire tiara is the one from Astrid who is now worn by Paola. They spanish tiara could be worn ins six versions. With red stones, green stones and aquamarines and then either as crown or the smaller version.
I hope Fabiola will leave her Jewels to the actual monarch to create a foundation or crown collection.

Her Spanish tiara can be worn in 6 ways, I would say that makes it the most versatile tiara in any Royal Family! I hope she leaves the Spanish one to Mathilde since she needs a new one and one that can be worn in many ways will suit her perfectly! The small one would be nice to go to Mathilde but also to Astrid, but Astrid has one tiara and a large Emerald necklace which is more than she'll ever need!!

so some jewllery we have not seen for 12 years however we have seen mathilde with fabiolas brosch at the london wedding 2011 that is kind of huge

She's also got a smaller tiara (made by the Belgian jeweller Wolfers), that can be worn as a necklace as well.
Wolfers tiara and aquamarine earrings

I just realized, I haven't seen this tiara yet. Does somebody know, when it has been worn the last time? It is such a pity that there are other jewels in the Belgium RF but we only see the same tiara on Mathilde, and 2 on Queen Fabiola.

I just realized, I haven't seen this tiara yet. Does somebody know, when it has been worn the last time? It is such a pity that there are other jewels in the Belgium RF but we only see the same tiara on Mathilde, and 2 on Queen Fabiola.

queen Fabiola wore this tiara a lot in the last years of her husbands reign. One of the last time was at a State Visit to the Netherlands in 1992/1993. Since then she has only worn twice a tiara and that was the flower-wreath version with aquamarines of the spanish Wedding gift tiara.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Stefan - as always, on top of information. :flowers:
I have to say, from the pictures I like the tiara/necklace, and I thought it would be great for Mathilde. It is such a pity, if Queen Fabiolas jewels would not go to the RF, but with the latest information, there seems to be space for some doubt.

what is going to happend with Queen Fabiola's jewellery once she will be no long with us?

what is going to happend with Queen Fabiola's jewellery once she will be no long with us?

Remains to be seen,but I would hope it would be left to the family collection.

Remains to be seen,but I would hope it would be left to the family collection.
perhaps a nice gift to mahtilde today for her 40th birthday.

But seriously i hope she leaves it to the crown/King.

Posted by Henri M
invisible.gif
on January 9, 2013, 12:47 pm, in reply to "Re: Diamond & Emerald brooch with pendant of HM Queen Fabiola"

For the non-informed on this board: the newspapers of Sudpresse have written that Queen Fabiola, in all discretion, has established a Foundation to regulate her legacy. As known, the Queen is childless and has no direct heirs. According Sudpresse the Queen established the Foundation 'Fons Pereos' which has four goals:

- to support members of the Queen's family
- to encourage historic and cultural works of the royal couple
- to support the Foundation Astrida (from the late King Baudouin)
- to support Catholic institutions

It is unclear what this will mean for the jewels. "To support members of the Queen's family" looks a reference to her De Mora y Arag�n nephews and nieces. "To encourage historical and cultural works of the royal couple" can be a possibility to place the jewels at the disposal of King Albert II and Queen Paola.

Yes, everything is detachable.
However, I've yet to see a picture of Queen Fabiola wearing the base as a simple tiara without any attached elements.

Yes, everything is detachable.
However, I've yet to see a picture of Queen Fabiola wearing the base as a simple tiara without any attached elements.

Oh thanks,I had a look online but couldn't find anything either!

Yes indeed it is this one but i read that the rubies were fake ?
Why did Queen Fabiola change this tiara ? she put aiguemarines and emeralds and we never saw the rubies again.

Yes indeed it is this one but i read that the rubies were fake ?
Why did Queen Fabiola change this tiara ? she put aiguemarines and emeralds and we never saw the rubies again.

There are different versions of this story floating around the net, so I’m not sure which version is really true. But the most convincing version imo goes like this:

The Medinaceli family loaned this tiara to a monastery, where it was used to adorn a statue of the Virgin Mary. At some point the nuns removed the original precious stones, sold them for some good cause, and inserted fake stones instead. (Maybe the responsible person at the time was not aware that the tiara was only loaned, not gifted?) Anyway, at the time when the Medinaceli family sold the tiara, no one seemed to remember that the stone were fake. Neither buyer nor seller knew they were fake. It only came out some time after the wedding. It seems that the Spanish government then bought real gemstones to replace the fake ones.

Afaik, the tiara originally had emeralds and rubies. Eg. Fabiola wore the emerald version at her own pre-wedding festivities. The aquamarines were a later addition: a present from King Baudouin. That might explain why she preferred the aquamarines, especially since Fabiola had some stunning aquamarine jewels to match the set.

I also read that the original gift already had to separate frames, one for the coronet version, and another one for the wreath version. But if that is really so, I don’t understand why the Queen didn’t mix both versions more. It seems that she stopped wearing the coronet version altogether once she started to wear the wreath version.

http://s13.postimg.org/v7q7wqjqv/Ruby_Fleuron_Medinaceli.jpg
I just found this pic of Ángela Pérez de Barradas y Bernuy, Duchess of Medinaceli. Reportedly this is the tiara which Franco bought as a wedding gift for Queen Fabiola.
This the great-grandmother od the Duchess of medinaceli who died today. don't think it is the one now owned by Qzueen Fabiola as when the Duke of Feria, the grandson of the Duchess of Medinaceli married in 2010 his bride wore a tiara in this style.

This the great-grandmother od the Duchess of medinaceli who died today. don't think it is the one now owned by Qzueen Fabiola as when the Duke of Feria, the grandson of the Duchess of Medinaceli married in 2010 his bride wore a tiara in this style.
http://s11.postimg.org/ppwtyjaub/fleuron_tiaras.jpg
At first I thought the same, Stefan, but then I compared the details of these tiaras:
- 1. The 15th Duchess de Medinaceli
- 2. No explanation needed
- 3. María del Prado y Mugiro, bride of Pabo de Hohenlohe-Langenburg y Medina (grandson of the 18th Duchess of Medinaceli), according to some Spanish forum she is wearing a tiara from her own family, the Dukes of Caicedo and
- 4. Laura Vecino Acha, bride of Rafael de Medina y Abascal, duke of Feria (another grandson of the 18th Duchess)

Imo the first two look like they could be the same, with a larger base added to Fabiola’s tiara. No. 3 is difficult to see in detail, but it seems to be different from the others. Imo These are three different tiaras.

The fleuron motive is so typical for Spanish ducal tiaras and there are so many of them around in Spain, that I think these could really be three different tiaras. Maybe the late Duchess of Medinaceli had inherited no. 4 from another ancestor of hers. Let’s not forget how many ducal titles there are in the family, why not several ducal tiaras.

What a lovely petite tiara, although I do prefer it in necklace form. It reminds me of the several delicate diamond necklaces Sophie Wessex has worn.

What a lovely petite tiara, although I do prefer it in necklace form. It reminds me of the several delicate diamond necklaces Sophie Wessex has worn.

That's why it looked familiar to me, but I could not place it. Was driving me nuts earlier too. Thanks!!

It really is a lovely little piece. Not so sure about this on Mathilde in it's tiara form, but it would be perfect for her as a necklace IMO. I do think it would be perfect as a starter tiara for the new Duchess of Brabant some time in the future however. Once again JMO. :)

I think it looks better in its necklace form on Queen Fabiola as its to have gotten lost in her hairdo,however it will be interesting to see what it looks like on Queen Mathilde.

I agree An Ard Ri. Queen Fabiola had one of the longest, most elegant necks I have ever seen and it set any necklace she wore off to flattering effect.

I think the dainty little Wolfers tiara would be perfect for Princess Elisabeth when she is a older. :whistling:

I've been working on the tiaras of the Belgian Royal Family. Queen Fabiola only has three tiaras but they are so versatile that she never appeared to be lacking jewels when compared to her counterparts. The Nine Provinces Tiara has already been passed on the Queen Paola and subsequently Queen Mathilde and I hope that Queen Fabiola also passes on her other tiaras to the current King and Queen.

Diamond Necklace Tiara
Nine Provinces Tiara
Spanish Wedding Gift Tiara

What happens with her jeweils after her death ? Anyone know it?

Back
Top Bottom