Queen Fabiola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only Belgian tiara fit for a queen and its fate is still unknown almost 7 years after the death of queen Fabiola.

Maybe it's in the vaults waiting one day for future Queen Elizabeth.

As far as I remember, here or on another board, Fabiola's family said that they didn't receive any jewelry in her will and he have seen some of her jewelry on Mathilde.

So, maybe the tiara is waiting for the right moment, just like the Stuart tiara in the Netherlands and Queen Sophie's diamond tiara in Greek royal family.

I least, I hope :)

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the ”Spanish Gift” Tiara to ever appear on either QM or her daughter...

Lets be honest, it’s rather the ”Mr and Mrs Franco Gift” Tiara (QF even recived it directly from the hands of Mrs Franco) than just from ”the people of Spain” so it’s hardly uncontroversial and any outing from someone who is not Fabiola, neither spanish, wouldn’t go unnoticed...

For Princess Elisabeth, they should rather buy back her great great grandmothers signature piece, the Queen Elisabeth Cartier Bandeau Tiara..

Last edited:
It's possible that the Spanish Wedding Gift Tiara would not be appropriate for certain events, but I do think it could be worn again,if it is still the property of the Royal Family. Simply because they do not have an extensive tiara collection. (Small collections maybe allow the owners more license to wear controversial pieces.)

There were rumors that some of the stones were fake. If true, perhaps that is another reason it has been missing in action.

For Princess Elisabeth, they should rather buy back her great great grandmothers signature piece, the Queen Elisabeth Cartier Bandeau Tiara..

I cannot see the BRF (or any reigning royal family for that matter) buy a tiara that belonged to a previous royal for a price that could be substantially above the value of the contituent stones. Those higher prices typically reflect the premium for the provenance of the jewels. Royal families tend not to need to pay for provenance as they an acquire jewels new to them, and through thei use, give the jewels provenance.

I think it would make sense to buy tiaras back that previously belonged to the family. As King Juan Carlos supposedly did with tiaras that belonged to his aunts or King Carl Gustav/ Prince Daniel supposedly did with the tiaras of Estelle Bernadotte and of course the Edward VII Ruby tiara of the King's uncle. But in reality that does not happen very often, it is a great pity that some of the Rosenborg jewels will leave the Danish RF. The Cartier tiara of Queen Elisabeth would be worth a preposterous sum right now of course.

If the Belgian RF had found the acquisition of jewels a priority they would have had many chances to buy some pieces back - or never to sell them in the first place. The - IMO lovely- pearl bandeau of Stephanie de Beauharnais was sold for a rather reasonable price in 2007 by princess Maria Gabriella of Italy. The RF sadly did not buy it but the Kunsthalle in Mannheim did. One wonders if the princess approached her Belgian cousin before the auction to give him the opportunity to quietly buy some of the Belgian pieces that were inherited from her mother Queen Marie José.

I will hold my breath about the Spanish tiara for the time being. Let's see what happens when the Duchess of Brabant starts wearing them but my hunch is that we will never see it again on a member of the Belgian RF. I can't see it being worn in Spain as Franco is still a controversial figure, esp. with the recent reburial and all that. In addition I suppose it would be rather odd on Elisabeth at this point as she would upstage her mother the Queen.

As for Elisabeth: I would not be surprised if she will receive something new, a gift from the Belgian nobility or something like the dainty tiara of Princess Claire & the glued pearls. The most appropriate gift would of course be the bandeau of Queen Elisabeth but I would not be surprised -at all- if that one will leave the main line of the Belgian RF too.

Last edited:
Didn't Queen Sofia of Spain receive the Spanish Floral Tiara as a gift from the Franco's as a wedding gift and its still the most widely worn Spanish tiara.

Queen Fabiola really added some wonderful pieces to the jewel empty Belgian RF.

As for Elisabeth: I would not be surprised if she will receive something new, a gift from the Belgian nobility or something like the dainty tiara of Princess Claire & the glued pearls. The most appropriate gift would of course be the bandeau of Queen Elisabeth but I would not be surprised -at all- if that one will leave the main line of the Belgian RF too.

At what time/milestone would she likely receive such gift?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Belgian Nobility will always keep its Tradition

For Princess Mathilde their tiara was not ready She wore Queen Paola's tiara as loan.

Elisabeth already received a gift from the Belgian nobility for her 18th birthday: a necklace not a tiara. I assume that the nobility would have asked beforehand what kind of gift would be appreciated. If the BRF indicated that the princess would like a necklace, that probably means that the tiara question was already solved within the family. I really hope that this means that she will receive that art deco tiara of Queen Paola. But maybe Mathilde will pass down her laurel tiara. Tbh, I do not expect them to acquire a new tiara for Elisabeth, because the BRF has, for a long time, shown that they do not prioritize jewellery.

I'd really love to see the Spanish tiara again, it is grand and so versatile. But as Marengo already stated above, the provenance is problematic and the BRF might want to avoid any controversy about it. And I don't think that they keep it stored away for Elisabeth because the tiara would be a bit too much for such a young princess. And it would be inappropriate for her to wear grander jewels than Queen Mathilde.

There were rumors that some of the stones were fake. If true, perhaps that is another reason it has been missing in action.

No reason for that.

Based on the story, when she received a tiara, Fabiola gave it to the jewelers who supposedly discovered that those stones were fake (not the whole tiara, just center stones), but they were quickly replaced, so Fabiola never wore this tiara with fake stones, but with real replaced ones.

Do we think that Princess Margaretha inherited them?

She wore already earrings of Queen Fabiola when she was still alive.
If this Daisy are hers that means that Fabiola gave jewels to all her nieces, but Margaretha was her favorite.

Really lovely seeing Princess Margaretha wearing them to her daughters wedding.

Tiara, necklace and aquamarine lost for ever.
If she gave one of her jewels to Princess Elisabeth , her parents should not buy a new tiara.

Princess Elisabeth is a granddaughter to Queen Fabiola's brother-in-law.

This illustrates the distance between Elisabeth and Fabiola.

It would be fantastic if Fabiola left it to her. But at the same time I can completely understand when Fabiola made other arrangements.

Tiara, necklace and aquamarine lost for ever.
If she gave one of her jewels to Princess Elisabeth , her parents should not buy a new tiara.

I believe so. But then who has them? The foundation she left them to, what does it do with it? Why not lending the set to the Royal Family? I would acquire even more value (auction-wise) if many queens have worn it.

I believe so. But then who has them? The foundation she left them to, what does it do with it?
That is what in not understand in leaving Jewels to a Charity foundation.They don't need them.

"The Royal Palace announced this morning that the execution of the last will and testament of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola has ended. Also comes an end to the reckoning of the many nieces and nephews in Spain of King Baudouin's consort. So they do not inherit a cent of Fabiola's fortune, which is estimated to be 100 million euros.

It is not yet known what the Queen's Relief Fund will do with all that money.
Yesterday, the Château du Stuyvenberg and the official buildings, which were at the disposal of Queen Fabiola, were already officially returned to the owner, the Donation Royale.

With the settlement of Fabiola's legacy, the House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola has now also been formally dissolved. The handful of still working for the House, according to the Palace, ended their services.

The inventory of the Château du Stuyvenberg was discussed for a long time. “Which item belonged to the private right of the late Queen and which item did not. Objects that were part of the Donation Royale were -of course- returned.”

Queen Fabiola's jewelery collection and correspondence with King Baudouin are also the property of the Queen's Relief Fund. It is not clear if items will be placed in a fund that will make the jewels available to members of the royal family."

Source: https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160202_02104522

Last edited:
Ok the mystery of queen Fabiola's jewels continues ...

"The Royal Palace announced this morning that the execution of the last will and testament of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola has ended. Also comes an end to the reckoning of the many nieces and nephews in Spain of King Baudouin's consort. So they do not inherit a cent of Fabiola's fortune, which is estimated to be 100 million euros.

It is not yet known what the Queen's Relief Fund will do with all that money.
Yesterday, the Château du Stuyvenberg and the official buildings, which were at the disposal of Queen Fabiola, were already officially returned to the owner, the Donation Royale.

With the settlement of Fabiola's legacy, the House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola has now also been formally dissolved. The handful of still working for the House, according to the Palace, ended their services.

The inventory of the Château du Stuyvenberg was discussed for a long time. “Which item belonged to the private right of the late Queen and which item did not. Objects that were part of the Donation Royale were -of course- returned.”

Queen Fabiola's jewelery collection and correspondence with King Baudouin are also the property of the Queen's Relief Fund. It is not clear if items will be placed in a fund that will make the jewels available to members of the royal family."

Source: https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20160202_02104522
This is all so weird, if only an arrangement had been made years ago with the royal family and Queen Fabiola, people wouldn’t still be wondering where the jewels are. But ah well, no use crying over spoilt milk. I feel that the jewels will be sold.

Thanks for the pictures . In 1963 the Queen already change the base of the spanish
tiara, she had already her necklace with the big aquamarine .

Back
Top Bottom