Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camilla was wearing a necklace and earrings from King Abdullah as well.

Is the necklace the much discussed 'ruby breastplate'? I'm pretty sure that was from Saudi.

The "Ruby Breastplate" can be found here:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/01_wk4/CamillaR2801_328x450.jpg

These are the sapphires:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Duchess of Cornwall tonight (Photo)
(courtesy of Boffer on RJOTWMB)

Both sets are from King Abdullah--he also gave her a parue of emeralds, but we haven't seen it yet.
Here is the Delhi Durbar Tiara that Camilla has worn:
http://image63.webshots.com/63/9/0/34/541590034wGPnyJ_ph.jpg

ACtually, here is a link to a some great pics of Camilla in her jewels:
Cornwall

As for tiaras, HM Queen Elizabeth wears the Girls of Great Britain,
http://image62.webshots.com/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_fs.jpg
Grand Duchess Vladimir, and now the Oriental Circlet quite often.
Here is a link, same website, to a section on her jewels:
Tiara QEII

The site is up now, but sometimes it isn't--but it is worth the wait if its down. I love it. It's an addiction site for me!

I really prefer Camilla's sapphire necklace to the ruby one. The rubies are one row too many for my taste. I would take the bottom row off and make it a tiara to match.

As far as the girls of GB tiara, not only is it lightweight, but the carat weight is distributed evenly around, which would reduce the chance of it slipping. Some of these tiaras that have a lot of large stones in front tapering down dramatically at the sides and back might not have great balance on the head.

Hola! Picture
The Queen's rubies: The necklace which I believe someone said before in this thread belonged to Queen Victoria, and the tiara which I am unfamiliar with, and a pair of earrings matching the necklace.
I tried to find the tiara on Royal Magazin and looked for info. on Danjel's site. I also looked through this entire thread but didn't see anything about this particular tiara.

This is her newest tiara, commissioned from Garrards in 1973 and made of diamonds and Burmese rubies. Better pic:

This is what Field has to say about the ruby necklace:

"The nineteenth-century necklace of rubies surrounded by diamonds has a chatelaine centre in a design of currant leaves and clusters of fruit that can be detached and worn as a stomacher or hair ornament. It was sold at Sotheby's by a member of the Baring family in April 1964 and purchased on behalf of Her Majesty."

Last edited:
While the size of the stones is impressive, I have to confess that this is my least favorite tiara of HM. Something is just a little off--I vastly prefer the Oriental Circlet with the little rubies in it.

I just love the girls of GB! I have always loved it. I wish that I had a copy of it! I would wear it around the house and ask my husband where are my maids and cook. haha

Looking at the Holas link, it is always nice to see the Rose of York bracelet---

Thank you, Warren. I found another great pic of the Burmese ruby tiara.
See picture from Naergi's website.

I cannot say that this tiara impresses me very much, apart from the size and shape of the rubies, which are fantastic by themselves. But I think I agree with some others about the motif not being so impressive. I think that the tiara might look nice on HM, though, with other jewels. It doesn't really match the Victorian ruby necklace, does it? Maybe the Coronation necklace would look nice with it. ??

I absolutely love the Burmese Ruby Tiara. The stones are exceptional. BTW Warren, I like the way you made your caption red! :flowers:

This is her newest tiara, commissioned from Garrards in 1973 and made of diamonds and Burmese rubies. Better pic:

This is what Field has to say about the ruby necklace:

"The nineteenth-century necklace of rubies surrounded by diamonds has a chatelaine centre in a design of currant leaves and clusters of fruit that can be detached and worn as a stomacher or hair ornament. It was sold at Sotheby's by a member of the Baring family in April 1964 and purchased on behalf of Her Majesty."

Altering jewels

Forgive me if this has come up before...

Has the Queen ever altered any of her jewelry? I believe that Diana altered some that she was given. I am not aware of any alterations by the Queen.

Thanks

The Queen's engagement ring actually had to be altered, just because it was too large at first. It was made from a jewel belonging to Philip's mother, Princess Alice, and according to Philip's own design, but for some reason it was made too large. That's the only alteration I have ever read about, and obviously it was just a minor one and easily accomplished. :)

The Brazilian Aquamarine suite was altered when the Brazilian government presented her with a second tranche of gems. Otherwise, apart from the addition of the band to Granny's tiara, and the creation of the sapphire (1964) and the Burmese ruby (1973) tiaras, HM hasn't dabbled much in resetting her jewels as far as we know. The question of whether the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara was broken up is subject to debate (Field vs Munn), so that's anyone's guess.

I'm curious -- in the U.S. gifts to the President belong to the Government -- but can be purchased by the recipient for full price.

The Duchess of Cornwall and HM's recent gifts are quite beautiful. Will they become part of the Crown Jewels or could they end up as bequests to say minor royals?

My other question seems ignorant, BUT. There is such confusion on so many of the Jewels. Does the Palace not answer these questions? It seems to me a simple yes or no about the dismantling of the Tiara might not be considered rude.

The Duchess of Cornwall's gifts (eg the Saudi parures) stay with the Crown, as do (we assume) the gifts HM receives. As these jewels will in effect be passed from Sovereign to Sovereign the difference as to whether they are "private" or "state" is sort of moot.

Buckingham Palace (and most Royal Houses) tend not to answer questions about their jewellery collections. Suzy Menkes, in the introduction to her book "The Royal Jewels" states that she was "actively discouraged [by] Buckingham Palace" in some of her research.

The Brazilian Aquamarine suite was altered when the Brazilian government presented her with a second tranche of gems. Otherwise, apart from the addition of the band to Granny's tiara, and the creation of the sapphire (1964) and the Burmese ruby (1973) tiaras, HM hasn't dabbled much in resetting her jewels as far as we know. The question of whether the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara was broken up is subject to debate (Field vs Munn), so that's anyone's guess.
Some have commented that the sapphire tiara was not quite the unqualified success one would have hoped - does anybody have any pictures of it? Thx

Well, its better than the Burmese of even the Aquamarine.......

I like the Brazilian aquamarine set.... :D I guess I can't really say I dislike any of The Queen's jewels, not completely at any rate. Even the Burmese, not a favorite for me, but I still like things about it, like the stones themselves are magnificent, even though the motif is unimpressive.

Well, good people, I must eat my words. I have had in the past not entirely kind things to say about the Burmese ruby tiara, but I guess the thing just grows on you. That picture of Lillibet in that Spanish magazine bedecked with it is wonderful. Of course just about everything looks good on her except the aquamarine is not a smashing success. But then I may change my mind about that too. As for the sapphire tiara I must say Elizabeth makes the tiara and not the other way around, although the stones are simply magnificent. Cheers.

As for the sapphire tiara I must say Elizabeth makes the tiara and not the other way around, although the stones are simply magnificent. Cheers.

True that, Thomas. It's hard for sapphires not to impress. They just look damn good no matter what, I think. Them and emeralds.... doesn't get much more magnificent than them. Beats my grammar anyway.... :lol:

I like the ruby "breastplate" It is such an impressive piece. Sometimes less is more or simple is elegant but when it comes to royal ladies i feel that more is better especially if they can carry it off. I always hope that when the royal ladies are out and about that they are wearing jewels dripping from everywhere. I figure who else can get away with big massive jewels and look impressive and not stupid or over-done. I want more jewels...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not agree with you more. However, I do not discriminate. I think ladies everywhere should be bedecked. And dripping with the things, wherever possible. At the worst we can all slither with our fangs dripping over to the Worst Jewels Thread, one of my great loves, and let the jewel besottted miscreants have it.

I think we need to all write Lillibet and tell her what we think. She needs to get out more jewels. All this modesty and self control needs to be repalced by glorious excess. After all with the world going to Hell in a Handbasket, the dollar down the tubes and oil headed for the moon, not to mention global warming-it is like May out here in South Carolina of all places-there is still the Queen and the royal family. They need to parade about more splendidly bedecked than ever. It is right up there with chocolate ice cream as the cure for grim Melancholy and deep dispair. cheers.

OK--here is a pic of the aquamarine tiara--I have to say I just don't love it and I think it looks weird on the Queen. The accompanying pieces are pretty, though.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/EGallery/images/collection_large/200131.jpg

Also, I was on Dress for the Occasion site (put out by the Queen) and found a drescription for the ruby necklace in the HOLAS photo--it isn't a family piece, it was bought by the Queen in 1964 at an auction--
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...on/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=3
Stunning piece.....

Yeah, about the ruby necklace (gorgeous) I think what Warren said was that it belonged to the Baring family from the Victorian times (just from the 19th century but not from the Big V herself):D and like it says there The Queen bought it from the auction in 1964.

I love all the ruby goodies in the royal collection. If it were not for the sterness of British judges, the fangs of the yelow press, the discomfort of English prisons, (the British have a positive genius for it) not to mention the displeasure of the QEII, I would be down the street in a sewer from Buckingham Palace trying to dig my way into the royal vaults. I would not take a thing-that WOULD be vulgar-but I could get all kinds of wondrous photos to post on the RF. Of course I would have to go out and buy a camera and learn how to use it.

My favorite is the ruby bandeau necklace with the Queen Mary earings. I go into orbit over that. I then get to the chocolate ice cream and ginger snaps to calm my quivering nerves. Cheers.

You know, the one thing I've learned from looking at all these tiara photographs (and oh, how I've been looking at them) is that some tiaras were meant for older ladies, and would not look well on callow youths. The Burmese ruby tiara, which, when photographed alone, seems unwearable, is actually quite beautiful on the Queen. Without her white hair and her dignity, would it work as well? I think not.

I've never particularly cared for the either the ruby or the sapphire tiaras that HM commissioned; but, these pictures that have been posted are actually really good ones of the Queen and the tiaras. While I still do not love the Burmese ruby tiara, I do have to say that she wears it well. I do not like the ruby swag necklace that she got from the Amir of Quatar--it isn't flatterling to her.
Also, have we seen the ruby necklace that the QM used to wear on HM yet? I think it is just beautiful.
And, as for the sapphire tiara--this picture Warren posted of it is really beautiful--makes me eat my words. I love the necklace best of all, but the tiara's stone almost perfectly match the necklace. And, everything works in that picture. Perhaps she should always wear that shade of blue with the parue??

This picture illustrates one of the great mysteries of of British royalty, or any royalty for that matter..... Why does she look, well, right?
Queen Mary had impeccable posture and that regal bearing--who would dare tell her she was overdoing anything? She always pulled it off!
Queen Mary would be a difficult act to follow, especially as rules of dress have relaxed over the years. I remember my teachers telling me how even as late as the 50s here that ladies didn't wear slacks/trousers downtown, only dresses with gloves, hats also preferred. My mother was one of the last ladies at church to stop wearing hats in 1972 or 73 but that seems to be coming back now. I would still love to dress that way but I don't have time to make matching hats/gloves/bags for dresses I have. Oh well, one day I may.

I would love to see this "ruby breastplate". I imagine it's similar to the Queen Mary graduated brooches to be pinned down a stomacher type front.
how is "parure" pronounced?
thanks!

The "Ruby Breastplate" can be found here:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/01_wk4/CamillaR2801_328x450.jpg

These are the sapphires:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Duchess of Cornwall tonight (Photo)
(courtesy of Boffer on RJOTWMB)

Both sets are from King Abdullah--he also gave her a parure of emeralds, but we haven't seen it yet.
Here is the Delhi Durbar Tiara that Camilla has worn:
http://image63.webshots.com/63/9/0/34/541590034wGPnyJ_ph.jpg

Actually, here is a link to a some great pics of Camilla in her jewels:
Cornwall

As for tiaras, HM Queen Elizabeth wears the Girls of Great Britain,
http://image62.webshots.com/62/1/1/92/542610192ITfVFD_fs.jpg
Grand Duchess Vladimir, and now the Oriental Circlet quite often.
Here is a link, same website, to a section on her jewels:
Tiara QEII

The site is up now, but sometimes it isn't--but it is worth the wait if its down. I love it. It's an addiction site for me!
Thanks--I should have read further before asking for someone to post a photo.
I love the dress details on the 2nd photo with the sapphire necklace--looks like bias strip appliqués or something similar for interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom