Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't see it as such. What I saw was someone having a supposition and putting it into words as a possibility.

This kind of thing has been my best teacher. Express something that hits the mind and if its not correct, someone will give you the facts and you learn something new. ?

Ypu are so right, Osipi. I was just wondering why suddenly all three queens (Present and future) wore such grand jewels. I never wanted to state something as news- fake or not!

I think it the Queen Mother’s emerald necklace with cabachon drops from the Vladimir attached.
Since HM was wearing the Vladimir with emeralds I think not.

They are numbers 5 and 7 in my above post.

It’s not the same necklace, the diamond surrounds are different and the emeralds are not the same size.
They are both suspected to be from the Greville bequest.

I am really quite conflicted on this, because we do not have great pictures of the Greville emerald necklace. The emeralds in the Greville necklace appear larger than in the one HM wore, and the "spacer" diamond bits could be a similar shape. That said, this could just be as a result of pictures taken from different angles.

I think a single drop down the front would have been enough. Going up each side was a bit much.

I am really quite conflicted on this, because we do not have great pictures of the Greville emerald necklace. The emeralds in the Greville necklace appear larger than in the one HM wore, and the "spacer" diamond bits could be a similar shape. That said, this could just be as a result of pictures taken from different angles.

This is the best comparison photo I’ve seen and to me they are clearly not the same necklace:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://mb.boardhost.com/historyroyaljewels/msg/1576127076.html

To add to my list, they also have the emerald, pearl and diamond belt from the Maharaja Sher Singh:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/11291/emerald-girdle-of-maharaja-sher-singh

And Princess Diana was photographed in what looks like an emerald necklace, which would be with her sons now:
http://www.dianasjewels.net/Earrings/PaveEarrings-Necklace1.jpg

There are also reports that the Queen received an emerald and diamond necklace as a wedding present.
I mean, we truly have no idea what’s in the vault. Look at Sophie’s 3 tiaras, we don’t know where they come from and why they haven’t been worn more. The Greville Double Meander was also only worn once by Anne and there’s Eugenie’s wedding tiara never before worn, etc.
It’s quite possible that there are gifts to Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary and the Queen Mum still never worn in public or photographed. In those days the royal women were literally showered in jewels whenever they made visits or went on tour, both official and private.
I am also sure that Catherine received a nice haul for her wedding, but she wears it very sparingly.

Last edited:
I wonder if they purposefully keep some jewels back so as not to show off just as much as they really have.

Personally my bet is on this new necklace being a second emerald necklace from the Greville inheritance, hence why we haven't seen it until now as I assume it was property of the Queen Mother until her death. I think it looks "to old" to be a gift from a Middle East tour as most new pieces are, it would also explain why the Queen accepted the Goodman necklace, as the two emerald Greville necklaces would have been her mother's.

Interesting that the National trust website for Greville's former house Polesden Lacey states:
We have recently discovered an image of Mrs Greville wearing the Kokoshnik tiara and a stunning emerald necklace which has not been seen before.

This is the best comparison photo I’ve seen and to me they are clearly not the same necklace:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...riginal.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://mb.boardhost.com/historyroyaljewels/msg/1576127076.html

To add to my list, they also have the emerald, pearl and diamond belt from the Maharaja Sher Singh:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/11291/emerald-girdle-of-maharaja-sher-singh

And Princess Diana was photographed in what looks like an emerald necklace, which would be with her sons now:
http://www.dianasjewels.net/Earrings/PaveEarrings-Necklace1.jpg

There are also reports that the Queen received an emerald and diamond necklace as a wedding present.
I mean, we truly have no idea what’s in the vault. Look at Sophie’s 3 tiaras, we don’t know where they come from and why they haven’t been worn more. The Greville Double Meander was also only worn once by Anne and there’s Eugenie’s wedding tiara never before worn, etc.
It’s quite possible that there are gifts to Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary and the Queen Mum still never worn in public or photographed. In those days the royal women were literally showered in jewels whenever they made visits or went on tour, both official and private.
I am also sure that Catherine received a nice haul for her wedding, but she wears it very sparingly.

Thanks for sharing. You are probably right, these do look like two different necklaces.I also agree the emerald and diamond necklace with the emerald drops is probably from the Greville bequest, and has never been used publicly before.

Whenever we have to speculate in this way I am always irritated that there can be no official confirmation from someone in the Royal household. I know there are several valid reasons that this doesn’t happen, but when they are historic jewels, it would be nice to know a little more and prevent misleading and inaccurate information being circulated.

Whenever we have to speculate in this way I am always irritated that there can be no official confirmation from someone in the Royal household. I know there are several valid reasons that this doesn’t happen, but when they are historic jewels, it would be nice to know a little more and prevent misleading and inaccurate information being circulated.

I guess the necklace is not considered "historic" from the perspective of the BRF as it may not have any great royal lineage.

Last edited:
Some of Mrs Greville's emeralds were said to have come from Empress Josephine, there's historic for you. Mrs. Greville died in 1942 and she was known to have bought "Russian" jewels. I wonder if this necklace and the emerald from the kokoshnik were of Russian origin. I've spent the last few days endlessly googling emerald necklaces sold at auction, or Russian owned, all have far more elaborate settings or smaller stones. The style of this necklace seems older and reminds me of the Queen Victoria emeralds and rubies and the Queen's sapphire necklace.

I believe you may be on the right track qui mal y pense. When I first saw the new Emerald necklace with the drops my first thoight was that it resembled the Russian style period throughout the 1800's. It is entirely possible it came with the Emerald Kokoshnik tiara belonging to Mrs Greville.
We mustn't forget the huge sale of Russian Imperial jewels in 1922, which sold quite cheaply in a relative way. Mrs Marjorie Merriweather Post was able to purchase some very important pieces from this sale.

I just find it very frustrating that the palace do not disclose the provenance of these new pieces.

The Diamond and Emerald Kokoshnik worn by Princess Eugenie is almost certainly Russian, and if it did come from Mrs Greville is likely to have been acquired by her [with other Emerald jewels] in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution.
Ladies [at the time] rarely bought a Tiara without a matching necklace/sautoir, and only did so if they already owned jewels which would 'work' with their new acquisition.
Pendent drops were much used in Russia, either sewn onto Court Dress, or attached to necklaces, so it wouldn't surprise me if Mrs Greville bought the Necklace/Tiara and drops all together in the 'Fire-sale' [to end all fire sales], post 1917.

I can easily believe Mrs Greville had a large number of emerald jewels, the tiara Eugenie wore wasn't exactly a small, "everyday", tiara. It was clearly going to be one of her major tiaras and I suspect she had more than one emerald necklace to go with it so I don't believe the one the Queen Mother wore was the only one by any means.

IMO the piece is too old in style to be a piece from a Middle East tour and I don't really see where else it could have come from without being pictured on another royal previously (i.e. if it had come from the royal line deep within the vaults from decades ago)

Mrs Greville was said to have left almost 60 pieces to the Queen Mother and we've seen probably pieces about 1/10th of that.

Thank you all for the educated guesses about the necklace. I didn’t know that pendant drops were worn by the Russians

The Diamond and Emerald Kokoshnik worn by Princess Eugenie is almost certainly Russian, and if it did come from Mrs Greville is likely to have been acquired by her [with other Emerald jewels] in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution.
Ladies [at the time] rarely bought a Tiara without a matching necklace/sautoir, and only did so if they already owned jewels which would 'work' with their new acquisition.
Pendent drops were much used in Russia, either sewn onto Court Dress, or attached to necklaces, so it wouldn't surprise me if Mrs Greville bought the Necklace/Tiara and drops all together in the 'Fire-sale' [to end all fire sales], post 1917.

No, it is not.
Eugenie’s wedding tiara was created for Mrs. Greville by Boucheron in 1919. There is no connection to Russia at all, apart from the kokoshink style.

You can read more here:
https://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/10/princess-eugenie-jacks-wedding-greville.html
https://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-greville-emerald-kokoshnik-tiara.html

I have just been watching a welcome repeat of a 2 part programme on the history of Windsor castle . During the first programme a State Dinner was held to celebrate the 100yr Anniversary of the Entente Cordial . During the exchange of gifts between HM and the Presidential couple, HM is clearly wearing the Emerald necklace that caused such a stir during the Diplomatic Dinner earlier this year .

I am unsure how to post a screenshot on this forum , so my apologies . The programme is called The Queen's Castle , the footage of HM wearing the necklace is from approx 42min in the first programme.

I am unsure how to post a screenshot on this forum , so my apologies . The programme is called The Queen's Castle , the footage of HM wearing the necklace is from approx 42min in the first programme.

Her Majesty actually wore the Godman Necklace to this event.

Last edited by a moderator:
my mistake , they looked so similar . Thankyou for the correction Idemail . Always good to have correct information . Emeralds are my favorite gems .

Just goes to show the depth of the BRF jewel vaults ,oh those emeralds

Not one of my favorite bow brooch but it still packs a regal punch like most of the Windsor jewels.

Back
Top Bottom