Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for that I didn't give the Greville collection a thought. I would really love to know how many jewels The Queen may have that we have never seen.
Was just thinking similar can you imagine getting a sneak tour of the Windsor jewel vault!

Yay for 93 year old Ladies breaking out 'new' Jewels...

It is likely to be Greville Bequest Necklace, but what interests me is the sheer number of Emerald 'drops'..
Likely to be from the 19th century 'lottery win', bagged by the [then] Duchess of Cambridge ? As are the ones hanging in the Vladimir Tiara.
BUT so many 'spares' lying about unused, probably since Queen Mary took them 'out to play'..

Last edited:
Was just thinking similar can you imagine getting a sneak tour of the Windsor jewel vault!

Oh yes that would be a treat. In 2018 I saw the Cartier exhibit in our National Gallery and the Nizam necklace was there along with the wedding tiara that the Dss of Cambridge wore and the Williamson Pink diamond brooch. Also some of Princess Grace of Monaco's Cartier pieces and Elizabeth Taylors Richard Todd diamond and ruby necklace. Lots of other fabulous jewels too.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if they have ever had to expand the vault to house it all. I lost count how many brooches she owned after 145. Once upon a time some members on here kept a data base of her brooches. Wear she wore them etc.

I guess we also forgot to mention the Queen is wearing two of the four Cartier bracelets. The all diamond one and the Emerald one. These bracelets originally belonged to her mother.

Here a pure speculation: I see that all three Royal ladies wear rather rich jewelery. Could it be that Johnson threatened the queen to make the Royal Collection (those pieces the souverain only holds for the public) visible for the public?? So that HM decided to have them wear the most expensive or stunning or beautiful (select your own reason) of those? If so, then of course the emerld necklace would be one gifted to the queen or one of her predessessors' wifes (or Victoria). In times of "austerity" it was simply not done to wear jewels from one of the richest collections in the world, but maybe now?

I don't think there's any way Mr. Johnson could even *think* that he (or Parliament) could dictate to HM just what is done with the Royal Jewel Collection.

To my knowledge, many of the pieces in the Royal Collection are held in trust by the monarch and passed on in trust to the next monarch and so forth. The collection is priceless as there's just so much history and provenance behind the pieces.

Mr. Johnson can gaze at their brilliance, be blinded by their sparkle and stunned by their exquisite craftsmanship but the day he tries to dictate what is done with them, they'll come after him with one of those very pristine white jackets with the elegant sleeves and buckles. :D

Here a pure speculation: I see that all three Royal ladies wear rather rich jewelery. Could it be that Johnson threatened the queen to make the Royal Collection (those pieces the souverain only holds for the public) visible for the public?? So that HM decided to have them wear the most expensive or stunning or beautiful (select your own reason) of those? If so, then of course the emerld necklace would be one gifted to the queen or one of her predessessors' wifes (or Victoria). In times of "austerity" it was simply not done to wear jewels from one of the richest collections in the world, but maybe now?

No is too short a response apparently, but no.

Could it be that Johnson threatened the queen to make the Royal Collection (those pieces the souverain only holds for the public) visible for the public??

I think Mr Johnson has [rather more pressing] 'fish to fry' at the moment...

There is a policy that jewelry gifts stay with the person they were given to for their lifetime and then go to the Royal Collection. I forget when that change was made but I would say its been in the last 20 years. Prior to that all gifts became HM's personal property. Also all the jewelry inherited from her mother and grandmother are personal property. There were only a few pieces that were officially part of the Royal Collection that the QEQM had in her possession (the crown rubies for one). When you look at the total of QEII's jewelry collection, very little of it is actually part of the Crown to be handed down sovereign to sovereign. Most of it is her personal property. I would say most if not all of it will go to Charles when the time comes because there are no estate taxes on sovereign to sovereign inheritance.

I don't think there's any way Mr. Johnson could even *think* that he (or Parliament) could dictate to HM just what is done with the Royal Jewel Collection.

You are correct. Just someone trying to start more fake news to stir a bit of trouble.

BTW, a question. That beautiful tiara that the Queen was wearing....is that the Emerald one that Meghan wanted to wear on her wedding day or is there another large Emerald tiara in vault? I know that the one Eugenie worn was not the one Meghan wanted but I can't locate a picture of another. Thank You for any information.

BTW, a question. That beautiful tiara that the Queen was wearing....is that the Emerald one that Meghan wanted to wear on her wedding day or is there another large Emerald tiara in vault? I know that the one Eugenie worn was not the one Meghan wanted but I can't locate a picture of another. Thank You for any information.

Ironic that you're knocking someone for "stirring trouble" or posting fake news....

You are correct. Just someone trying to start more fake news to stir a bit of trouble.

I didn't see it as such. What I saw was someone having a supposition and putting it into words as a possibility.

This kind of thing has been my best teacher. Express something that hits the mind and if its not correct, someone will give you the facts and you learn something new. ?

B ut which of the Jewels on show yesterday are part of the Royal Collections. The tiara's are all personally owned by the Queen (inheritances from the Queen Mother and Queen Mary) and alsothe Nizam of Hyderaband necklace which was a Wedding gift to the Queen. The pearl chioker worn by the Duchess of Crownall seems to be her personal property. The only we don't know is the emerald necklace worn HM.

This information was never confirmed nor there was any shred of evidence that the event you describe actually happened. Please let us remain on the subject of the Queen jewellery and keep the sussex out of this thread.

Looks like a possible match to me. :flowers: Of course, the pic of Queen Mum is a bit blurry, so that makes it difficult to be completely sure. But the shape and size of the square emeralds seem to match, as do the triangular diamond elements between them. Those diamond triangles have an art deco look to me, which might support the theory that the tiara is from the Greville bequest.

I must admit that I'm not so fond of the long emerald cabochon drops on the necklace. And I don't think that all of those emeralds can be aligned to the Cambridge emeralds. Most of them are in the Vladimir tiara, some others are accounted for as well, and so many others are rumoured to be from the Cambridge ruffle win. They can't be all from that source, or the Duchess must have won at least three boxes of emeralds, not just one. Besides, the cabochon cut is completely different from the other Cambridge emeralds.

Those Emeralds are simply stunning I think QEII has the best queens jewels.

I suspect the PM has far too much to do and worry about of late to be spending time thinking about what jewels the Queen and senior royal ladies wear.

The fact a sovereign with a reign as long as HM’s can still bring out “new” items amazes me. Love to explore those vaults!

By my count the Queen now has 7 different emerald necklaces:
1. https://66.media.tumblr.com/82f7741b6bfe4c75ffc138622949b3b8/tumblr_pih0jan0PI1wwqayjo1_400.jpg
2. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3d/ec/75/3dec757a04a2d277b1864e632375409c.png
3. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/d8/eb/b6d8ebc2884ac7172204583977427485.png
4. https://66.media.tumblr.com/0445f948f7d043aa89c06d8e7b6e205d/tumblr_prri97tnav1wwqayjo1_400.jpg
5. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/a1/df/0ba1df915c6e08d6c44aad9c81a87710.jpg, https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/e7/60/9be7604404621a78fe438ef7f77d2caa.jpg
6. https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...alds-and-diamonds-to-match-picture-id52116411
7. https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/buckingham-palace-diplomatic-reception60.jpeg

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Art Deco Emerald Choker
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Delhi Durbar Necklace
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Emerald Tassel Parure
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Godman Necklace
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Greville Emerald Necklace

Camilla also has an emerald necklace that was an official gift, so will go to the royal collection:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y4MSFAjY...Vk6UJ7rRDo4MgCLcBGAs/s1600/emerald_saudi3.jpg

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Duchess of Cornwall's Saudi Emerald Demi-Parure

And Catherine has an emerald necklace that is private property, but I expect will go to George one day and also end up in the monarch’s collection:
https://whatkatewore.com/wp-content...cklace-Closeup-S-Lock-images-Feb-18-2018-.jpg

The Windsor collection truly is mind-boggling! And that’s not counting all the things we have never seen from the Greville bequest, which was 60 pieces, and was put aside by the Queen Mum for decades.

Last edited:
Saw something earlier that showed a pic of The Queen Mother wearing the emerald necklace from last night...sans the drops. The Queen has added those.

LaRae

Saw something earlier that showed a pic of The Queen Mother wearing the emerald necklace from last night...sans the drops. The Queen has added those.
LaRae

They are numbers 5 and 7 in my above post.

It’s not the same necklace, the diamond surrounds are different and the emeralds are not the same size.
They are both suspected to be from the Greville bequest.

I know I am in the minority, but I don’t like this latest ‘cacophony’ of emeralds. I like to see HM embracing new jewels, but this is not a pleasing effect IMO.

I think it the Queen Mother’s emerald necklace with cabachon drops from the Vladimir attached.

I don’t think The Queen has ”added” any drops. It’s very ”un-Elizabeth” to re-arrange jewels like that.
She has almost always worn her jewels in they same style they came to her in the box.

I think this is the 2:nd Greville Emerald Necklace that The Queen Mother never wore. It would make sense as The Queen wore earrings and bracelets from her mothers jewel box as well.

I don’t think The Queen has ”added” any drops. It’s very ”un-Elizabeth” to re-arrange jewels like that.
She has almost always worn her jewels in they same style they came to her in the box.

I think this is the 2:nd Greville Emerald Necklace that The Queen Mother never wore. It would make sense as The Queen wore earrings and bracelets from her mothers jewel box as well.

I agree with you, the setting of the emeralds is completely different to those in the necklace worn by the late Queen Mother. In my opinion this necklace is the second of Mrs Greville’s emerald necklaces.

Back
Top Bottom