Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diamonds as a jewel itself will never be dated. But what they are set in can be. Just like fashion, clothes, jewelry can look old fashioned/out dated. The way they are fashioned. And just the item as well. Wearing brooches isn't trendy for certain age groups. On someone younger, it would look dated. Depends on the style, a more modern brooch. Some of Maxima's costume jewelry (not the giant bugs) would be considered more fashionable by many, then a row of pearls and a brooch. Good for grandma but not for someone below 40.

:lol::lol::lol: I could care less about the setting, be it in gold, silver or platinum and my favorite rose gold, diamonds are a girl's best friend as I have heard all my life and if those that think you need a setting to be modern or in the *in crowd* then I feel sorry for them as they are missing out on something in a piece of jewelry that has diamonds or any other precious gem if by not wearing them.......so send all those diamonds in old antique vintage settings my way for I would never let them stay in a jewelry case unused. Besides *who* says diamonds have to be in a modern setting to be used today.....who is this *who* in our society........I really need to talk to those *who* for they do not speak for little old me........this ole lady has a strong mind of her own.....:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I could care less about the setting, be it in gold, silver or platinum and my favorite rose gold, diamonds are a girl's best friend as I have heard all my life and if those that think you need a setting to be modern or in the *in crowd* then I feel sorry for them as they are missing out on something in a piece of jewelry that has diamonds or any other precious gem if by not wearing them.......so send all those diamonds in old antique vintage settings my way for I would never let them stay in a jewelry case unused. Besides *who* says diamonds have to be in a modern setting to be used today.....who is this *who* in our society........I really need to talk to those *who* for they do not speak for little old me........this ole lady has a strong mind of her own.....:lol:

Clothes and jewelry are the same. Just because something is 'old' doesn't make it vintage. There are some trends that are meant to be left a few decades ago. Some people find wearing jewels for the sake of wearing jewels to be a little 'new money', trashy, like wearing as many jewels to show how much money you have.

If vintage is your style, nothing wrong with that. But the reality is, that the younger generation tends to go for a more streamline modern aesthetic.

Besides a few royals who dress too old for their age, the idea of wearing the big granny brooches is right up there with a string of pearls, and a box hat, something their mom's did.

Don't get me wrong, I love brooches. I go crazy for Camilla as her brooches and scarves and hats all send me into a frenzy. But she is also not exactly an example of 'young fashion'.

:previous:
:lol::lol:Well I will take Camila's pearl choker necklaces any day to the week and all of HM brooches with pure joy and all of Camilla's hat on top of it. I could care less if it is modern or not........and most pieces of jewelry that either of these ladies have, well there is *history* behind them......all are *Priceless* in just that alone. So Countessmeout, anything you do not want, just hand it over to me here.....after all I bet I am quite a bit older then you young girls are and closer to your mother's age......so old, vintage, antique is my cup of tea...hot and sweet with creme.....:lol:

Denmark brooch.

You are so right. Ahhh those were the days when jewellers were at the top of there game.
Recently i visited the Cartier Exhibition at the National Gallery in Canberra Australia. Wow wow wow! To see up close the Williamson pink diamond brooch was wonderful. The pink diamond doesn't photograph very well as it is pale. But under clever lighting it is a slightly darker pink than i ever imagined it to be. The Nizam necklace that Kate wore was also there along with her wedding tiara.

Sorry I didn't type Denmark brooch. The wretched auto correct did it. Please ignore.

I have a badge question. Are HM's military badges property of the trust, her property (I think not) or property of the military unit by which they were given?

I vaguely recall an instance where the military unit got the badge back and had it re-made. Or used by the wife of the military commander? My memory stinks at these details. But this suggests they remain the property of the unit. As, I think they should. But I also think they should be seen on someone appropriate. Or housed in a museum.

But I would also be a bit sad for future generations to never see the huge collection of badges so actively and proudly worn by the Queen.

I'm asking in part becasue it's a good question, partly becasue I am wondering what happens to these precious badges when the next three heirs to the throne are male?

It's a mostly modern question, I think becasue the long-reigning queen has has the opportunity to receive so many military badges - certainly many have been created for her reign. I would hate to see them disappear or perhaps be destroyed. As happens with gems.

Whilst there will be posters out there with much more knowledge, I would guess the military badges are a mixture, some owned by the military units ad given to the Queen for her use and others we know for a fact have been presented to her for personal significant events (birthdays, Jubilees). We know that the gold shamrock pin Kate wears now is given to her by the Irish Guards, just as it was given to the Queen Mother and Princess Anne who carried out the role of handing out shamrocks before Kate did.
Ultimately I imagine any that are not still owned by the military units will be left to the Royal Collection anyway which pretty much ensures they won't be destroyed and would be available for any future royals who may require them, with approval of the sovereign of the time.

:previous: I was deeeelighted to see this brooch in use! I always thought the story behind it so wonderful. It may not be the most beautiful of brooches, but it has a place in my heart.

That link is not working. Try this: <a id='SQqXQeLzT21Y1cD-L-GP4w' class='gie-single' href='http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/997127192' target='_blank' style='color:#a7a7a7;text-decoration:none;font-weight:normal !important;border:none;display:inline-block;'>Embed from Getty Images</a><script>window.gie=window.gie||function(c){(gie.q=gie.q||[]).push(c)};gie(function(){gie.widgets.load({id:'SQqXQeLzT21Y1cD-L-GP4w',sig:'Q1ztdlJgTegkLK39yvoqAyf8_wmsaoJ4Z_LPua6wRSQ=',w:'594px',h:'396px',items:'997127192',caption: true ,tld:'com',is360: false })});</script><script src='//embed-cdn.gettyimages.com/widgets.js' charset='utf-8' async></script>
or https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...-with-justin-welby-the-of-picture-id997127192

Asside and off topic: can we all agree on a love hate relationship with Getty? Wonderful photos. But sketchy searching and awful linking. I went to find this photo and a search on "Queen Elizabeth II" returned dozens of newer photos of Trumo, May and FLOTUS. Navigating in Getty is such a pain

Being someone who loves the color red in anything and am a red head on top of it, those are my favorite earrings ever. I love jewels and mostly royal jewels of the past for they are done with such craftsmanship. Those are outstanding on HM and I really hope that they are not lost in a sale someday.......

Those are outstanding on HM and I really hope that they are not lost in a sale someday.......

Unlikely. After Queen Mary, the BRF seemed to have learned to keep the key jewels in the "main line" only.

Interesting story, never expect to see a queen have to borrow a tiara. It gives me the GGBI vibe, airy but substantial, a very delicate tiara.

Back
Top Bottom