Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elly C, thanks for all the wonderful pictures. I wish HM would just throw us a bone and surprise us with some different jewels. I never tire of her earrings I love them, but you know there's probably a whole slue(SP)of earrings never even seen. Maybe she just has her favorites and doesn't think about it!!Still we can dream.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Elly C, thanks for all the wonderful pictures. I wish HM would just throw us a bone and surprise us with some different jewels. I never tire of her earrings I love them, but you know there's probably a whole slue(SP)of earrings never even seen. Maybe she just has her favorites and doesn't think about it!!Still we can dream.......

I have to agree with you. When you see the wonderful array of brooches HM wears, you start to think of all those earrings stored away:sad:. However I imagine many would be quite heavy & cumbersome for her to wear nowadays. I hope some more photos get posted, particularly colour ones from the earlier part of her reign. Some earrings we know she's worn in the past haven't been featured in this thread as yet.

Field's book has The Queen wearing a single pearl stud, pictures on pages 76 and 130.
On page 134/135 The Queen wears matching earrings to her 6 row pearl and plaque necklace.
On page 50, she wears Q. Vics diamond stud earrings. Gee these ones seem most impressive. I wonder what carat weight for them?

Yes, the Queen appears to have alternated several pairs over the years. I have found some :
(all Life images)

Queen Mary's Floret earrings & King George VI's three row festoon necklace
ditto (not very flattering of Her Majesty , but a good close up of the earrings

I love Mary's Floret earrings, does the Queen were a similer pair that was owned by the QM?

:previous: These rosettes are so classic and timeless!I loved the matching ring,too.Rubies are such a royal stone,thanks for sharing these pictures :flowers:

I wonder when QEII will wear the trefoil earrings, which belong to Q. Vic Jubilee necklace, but were worn by Q. Mum?
Ref page 122 Fields book.

I too loved the ruby cluster earrings with the matching ring. I had not seen those before!

ELLY C these are the earing i meant, I thought that the QM left all her jewels 2 QE2 (no pun or offence) to avoid death duties?

personales.ya.com/fororeal/queenm2.htm
try this clik on the first pick and enlarge.

The photo from the above of Q. Mum in black, I think she wears the diamond/pearl trefoil earrings that are a set with Q. Vic 's Golden Jubilee necklace. Refer my earlier post Fields page 122

Yes, I see the similarity & Joye has helpfully identified the pair. You're right about HM inheriting the jewels, but it seems we are more likely to see any "new" important pairs on other senior Royals such as Camilla. Although the Queen has worn several of the Q.Mother's brooches - so we can always hope.

I also did not know there was a matching ring to the rubies! Thanks for the picture, bracelet is also not known to me! The royal rubies are really something.

I don't think these wonderful rubies have been posted in this thread before:
Queen Mary's ruby cluster earrings

I also came across this lovely picture from the State Opening of Parliament in Australia from 1954
Queen Mary's floret earrings
This ruby ring has a large oval ruby set in cluster of 17 closely set diamonds with 17 small collet rubies set around the outside. A fine photo to show this ring, as rings are so hard to see in detail.
Made in the 60's together with cluster and drop ruby necklace and pendant earrings with detachable pear shaped ruby drops in collet frames.
ref page 138 last few lines Fields.

Can anyone identify the earrings & necklace pictured below? The Queen wore them on a State visit to Nigeriain 2003.

State Reception (Corbis)

ditto (Getty)

This sapphire/diamond necklace and earrings made an appearance around the same time as the sapphire/diamond necklace with 3 tassel sapphire drops. Thought to be gifts from UAE.
I have counted 56 pairs of earrings for The Queen.

I like this sapphire/diamond set.Very discreet and elegant.The Queen must have had a blast with those women in Abuja.HA!

Diamonds, emeralds, sapphires!

So much to choose from...
As well as the necklace and earrings in Elly C's post, there are a couple of modern tassel designs HM has acquired in recent years.

As an aside, it's worth noting that the Queen's collection of very serious jewellery never stops increasing. Individuals and nations just keep on giving. But what can she do? After all, it would be very impolite to reject a gift of a swag of quality gems with a "thank you, but I have quite enough as it is." :D

Pictured here along with the fabulous Vladimir Tiara set with Cambridge Emeralds is a necklace-earring set of diamonds and
tassel emeralds
set in gold which my records have as "unknown provenance" (someone may have more recent information or know the occasion, which may or may not offer a clue).

One can't have too many tassel demi-parures so, crowned by the glittering Girls of Great Britain, there's these trefoil earrings and tassel necklace (and who knows what else) in diamonds and sapphires, probably set in platinum with some gold:
EIIR tassel sapphires 2007

This pic was taken during the visit of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia in 2007 so it's a safe bet the jewels were originally a gift from the Saudis.

Many thanks Warren for posting sapphire tassel picture.

I do find it hard, to work out the leaf style of the earrings, has any connection to the necklace, except sapphire/diamond.

Yes, what a lovely problem to have. But as eye catching as these pieces are, they don't have the family/ historic legacy which keeps us all on our toes. HM always seems to wear her jewels to fit the occasion or show courtesy to her guests, so I say bring on more visits from more generous givers.;)

Well the earrings for 2009 State opening of Parliamen, are the Q. Victoria diamond collet necklace and diamond drop earrings.
Happy to be corrected if they turn out to be the pear shaped drop diamond earrings. I have yet to be able to tell them apart.

Warren, thank you for your photographs, but to refer to King Abdullah's visit in 2007, not that you stated it, but it can be indeed from the Saudies from an earlier visit, because I remember The Queen wearing it in the beginning of the Golden Jubilee festivities when she wore the tassle necklace with sapphires for the Downing Street Dinner with the past Prime Ministers and Tony Blair at the time.

Well the earrings for 2009 State opening of Parliamen, are the Q. Victoria diamond collet necklace and diamond drop earrings.
Happy to be corrected if they turn out to be the pear shaped drop diamond earrings. I have yet to be able to tell them apart.

Yes I think You're right joye - and I like the choice.

State Opening 2009 (1)
State Opening 2009 (2)
(Zimbio)

I never, ever get tired of seeing her Majesty weat the peard shaped drop diamond earrings, they are my all time favorite. She wears them so well, and they look great with the necklace, of course!

Today, in Bermuda, The Queen wear new earrings.
It is thought that they are maybe, her mothers.

I really think the earrings were worn before for a Garter Day some years ago, the floret earrings of The Queen Mother as she wore them in Bermuda yesterday evening.

I really think the earrings were worn before for a Garter Day some years ago, the floret earrings of The Queen Mother as she wore them in Bermuda yesterday evening.

QE - Are you sure that HM wore QMs earrings for Garter Day a few years ago? Would you have a picture to hand? It is possible they may be confused with Queen Mary's floret earrings HM often wears for Garter Day.

Muriel, you can be quite right; I refer to the 2006 earrings for Garter Day. The florets there are indeed bigger and closer to the ear; whilst these earrings (Queen Mother's) are more 'pendant' from the ear itself. Is this the conclusion?

The Queen has a pair of earrings, worn with the Thistle Robes, which ressemble very much the Duchess of Cambridge pendant earrings, but the swinging pearls are changed in an emerald. Is this the same frame of the DoCambridge earrings, but that the centre can be changed, or are these different earrings?

I am reasonably sure that the 2006 Garter Day earrings are the Florets, and therefore, I am inclined to believe that this really is the first time HM has worn her mothers earrings in public.
QE - You are right, the florets are "tops", whilst the QMs earrings are suspended "pendants"

I believe that The Queen again wore other earrings on the final Banquet of the T&T visit. They seem Queen Mary's pendant earrings, as she has them with interchangable emeralds, but now it seemed like a collet diamond swinging in the frame. Anyone able to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom