Queen Anne Marie Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a side by side comparison:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/ayvee/ayvee/greekrubies.jpg

It looks exactly the same to me.

But then again Van Cleef and Arpels could have made more than one set. From Ursula's site, she claims Queen Anne-Marie's set was made in 1961. In the Christie's website, the set they are auctioning was created in 1964. It's not unusual for them to create more than one set although they probably wouldn't create this in the hundreds.

-Ayvee

Last edited:
I think it may be the same set because Anne Marie doesn't wear it anymore.
Maybe when they were exiled in Rome they had to sell some jewels in order to get some money, at least it wasn't an historical jewel.

To me it seems strange that Queen Anne Marie sells this parure as it is the engagement present from her husband... It would be the same as to sell your weddingring!

:ohmy:

Does anyone know the significance of the pin she always seems to wear on her sash? She has had it since she became queen. A gift from her parents maybe? Or something from her new in-laws?

To me it seems that Anna Maria owns some of the most beautiful tiaras.I wish we could have more information on her jewels.Someone mentioned an Amethyst parure/tiara.Is there a photo of these pieces?Thanks in advance :flowers:

I don't think it's the same. QAM's is necklace, bracelet and brooch, whereas Christie's is necklace, bracelet and earrings. It's conceivable that the jewelery made more than one set depending on available stones.

The most important jewels she has are the Russian emeralds which were part of Grand Duchess Olga's dowry when she married George of the Hellenes (Prince Vilhelm of Denmark).

There was also a beautiful diamond tiara that Queen Sophie may have received as a wedding gift when she married then Crown Prince Constantine. Queen Fredericka was often photographed wearing it, but it appears to have been sold during exile.

I don't think the Greek princesses own any tiaras, (with the exception of Marie Chantal I think) they borrow from their mom's depleted collection:ermm:

I don't think the Greek princesses own any tiaras, (with the exception of Marie Chantal I think) they borrow from their mom's depleted collection:ermm:

Queen Anne-Marie hardly has a depleted collection. She inherited another historic tiara on the death of her mother. She owns the Cartier tiara that was a wedding gift to Princess Margaret of Conaught when she married the Swedish crown prince. All of Princess Margaret ( Margaretha)'s female descendents have worn this tiara on their wedding day. Anne-Marie also has the ruby tiara ( originally Queen Olga's) and the large emerald one. The Greek royals still own the large tiara that Queen Frederika regularily wore, Anne-Marie doesn't wear it. She received a tiara from her parents for her 18th birthday and this is the tiara that Theodora wears. Alexia has also worn this tiara. Alexia has her own tiara given to her as a gift on her 18th birthday from her parents.

I thought the tiara that Queen Frederica tend to wear was sold in exile ?

Queen Anne-Marie hardly has a depleted collection. She inherited another historic tiara on the death of her mother. She owns the Cartier tiara that was a wedding gift to Princess Margaret of Conaught when she married the Swedish crown prince. All of Princess Margaret ( Margaretha)'s female descendents have worn this tiara on their wedding day. Anne-Marie also has the ruby tiara ( originally Queen Olga's) and the large emerald one. The Greek royals still own the large tiara that Queen Frederika regularily wore, Anne-Marie doesn't wear it. She received a tiara from her parents for her 18th birthday and this is the tiara that Theodora wears. Alexia has also worn this tiara. Alexia has her own tiara given to her as a gift on her 18th birthday from her parents.

Thanks for correcting me, I still think it's a poor collection, realativey to of course the Windsors, the Oranges, the Glucksbergs and even the Bernadottes. Do you know why she doesn't wear QFredrika's diamond tiara?

Thank you,Charlotte!!That was enlightening.When I read some other posts,I was under the impression that Theodora received a new tiara (the one with the pearls) on her 18th birthday,but now it's clear that this tiara is an old one and was given to Anna Maria as a gift for h e r 18th birthday.Do you think Anna Maria gave it to her younger daughter when she became 18 as a symbolism or something?

I thought the tiara that Queen Frederica tend to wear was sold in exile ?

It's still owned by the Greek royals, though not been seen in years. As to why Anne-Marie doesn't wear it, maybe too big/ornate/heavy/strongly identified with Frederika/not appropriate for a royal in exile? All guesses.
Queen Olga being a Russian Grand Duchess bought a lot of gems into the Greek royal family, but she also had a lot of children and her major pieces of jewellery was divided among them. The ruby tiara that Anne-Marie wears originally went to Olga's son Prince Nicholas, who in turn left it to his daughter Olga ( Princess Olga of Yugoslavia) King Paul and Queen Frederika bought it from Olga and so it returned to the main branch of the Greek royals. The Greeks never had the same kind of collection that the Windsors, Oranges etc they had large families so the jewellery was divided and spent long periods of time in exile.

but now it's clear that this tiara is an old one and was given to Anna Maria as a gift for h e r 18th birthday. Do you think Anna Maria gave it to her younger daughter when she became 18 as a symbolism or something?

As far as I have read Anne-Marie still owns her 18th birthday tiara, Theodora though has worn it on the few occasions where a tiara was required since she was an adult. ( Danish royal weddings) I suppose Alexia being the oldest girl received a gift tiara, Theodora maybe will eventually inherit the one she wears. One of them will get the Cartier tiara as that goes to a female descendent, for now it's Anne-Marie's personal property. Her other tiaras ( ruby and emerald, large diamond) are associated with Greek royalty so will pass on to Pavlos and Marie-Chantal.

Last edited:
Priness Alexia has also worn the diamond and pearl tara after she turned 18 a few times. And Marie Chantal wore it for her Wedding, the Wedding of Joachim and Alexandra and a few other times before she got her fringe tiara.

Wow, I thought the large tiara that belonged to Queen Frederika had been sold, as I read in one book (Françoise Laot wrote) that Queen Sophia said it was very sad when her mother had to sell some heirlooms when she went into exhile (the book said that among those heirlooms there were a tiara, a riviere and a big round ruby brooch).

It would be great if I could see Queen Anne-Marie wearing that tiara.

Both Anne-Marie and her sister-in-law, Sophia, confirmed that Queen Sophie's diamond tiara was sold by Fredericka during her exile in Italy, along with the diamond riviere necklace that belonged to Sophie's mother, The Empress Frederick. Once the Greek colonels forced Constantine and his family to leave in 1967, they essentially had very little money to take with them.

According to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB who is THE expert on the Danish Royal jewels and in touch with members of the family including Queen Anne Marie, the large diamond tiara was definitely NOT sold.
Other pieces were but not this tiara which, also according to him, will be seen again.

According to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB who is THE expert on the Danish Royal jewels and in touch with members of the family including Queen Anne Marie, the large diamond tiara was definitely NOT sold.
Other pieces were but not this tiara which, also according to him, will be seen again.

Seems strange to me that it hasn't been worn by Anne-Marie in forty years, given the limited amount of Greek jewels she has in her possession, but OK.

Perhaps Fredericka gave it to the Hanovers (who remained quite wealthy) in return for funds?

No, Bjarne (who as you probably know who wrote the great standard reference book about the jewels of the Danish Royal Family) definitely hinted at the tiara still being within the more immediate family.

I really enjoyed this conversation,thank you all!!Does anyone have a photo of the Cartier tiara that many of you have mentioned?

To support what Boris has written above, I recall the original discussion well. Bjarne stated that the tiara is not "lost" and would make a reappearance at a future date.

To remind everyone of this impressive jewel, here's a pic..

¤ ¤ ¤

I really enjoyed this conversation,thank you all!!Does anyone have a photo of the Cartier tiara that many of you have mentioned?

Here's a link with information about this tiara as well as photos of the various royal women who have worn it, laterly on their wedding day.

http://royal-jewels.blogspot.com/2006/03/khedive-of-egypt-cartier-tiara.html

Perhaps Fredericka gave it to the Hanovers (who remained quite wealthy) in return for funds?
The large diamond tiara is still owned by the Greeks ( Constantine) not the Hanovers.

I would take this with a grain of salt!
Bjarne Steen Jensen is no doubt an authority on royal jewellery in general and the best on Danish RF jewellery in particular! BUT: As one knowing his book on the Danish jewellery I'd like to add that there is an awful lot of guesswork & speculation in it! The core members of the Danish RF (including Anne -Marie) are only telling him the need-to-knows, not the nice-to-knows on the foundation jewellery and on the odd significant piece of private jewellery. There is much more they have chosen not to tell him, including the details of the privately owned tiaras!

The diamond tiara of Frederica's may well be in safe hands, but certainly not in those of the former Greek Royal family! If it were, Anne-Marie would not have hesitated to wear it!

The tiara is no doubt in safe hands and it may make a reappearance some fine day. However if it was bought by a royal family it would need a cooling off period before it could fly another flag. IMO after 40 years it would be safe to bring it back into the daylight!:)

Bjarne Steen Jensen is no doubt an authority on royal jewellery in general and the best on Danish RF jewellery in particular! BUT: As one knowing his book on the Danish jewellery I'd like to add that there is an awful lot of guesswork & speculation in it! The core members of the Danish RF (including Anne -Marie) are only telling him the need-to-knows, not the nice-to-knows on the foundation jewellery and on the odd significant piece of private jewellery. There is much more they have chosen not to tell him, including the details of the privately owned tiaras!

The diamond tiara of Frederica's may well be in safe hands, but certainly not in those of the former Greek Royal family!
As I tend to believe that the information given in Bjarne's book is authorative, I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the "awful lot of guesswork & speculation" he includes - could you give a few examples?
And since you are certain that the Queen Frederica tiara was definitely sold, it would be good to know your source of information, please.

Thank you all for the links!Both tiaras are very beautiful.Viv,of course nobody expects this historical masterpiece to be kept at Constantine's home in London.I'm sure it is in safer hands.But everything here proves that the diamond tiara wasn't sold.Perhaps,Anna Maria waits for a major event,like one of her children's wedding,to wear it.That's just a thought,of course.

I have heard this story as well.

Seeing how King Constantine is hopeful for a revival of the Greek monarchy, I have often wondered if the auspicious occasion they are waiting for is the day they are allowed to return to Greece as monarchs. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it may be a sentimental thing for them (Constantine and Anne-Marie) to equate Frederika's tiara with their homecoming.

Whether or not this means that Marie-Chantal will ever wear it, is another thing altogether.

As I tend to believe that the information given in Bjarne's book is authorative, I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the "awful lot of guesswork & speculation" he includes - could you give a few examples?

I could sit here all night quoting examples, one of them being the floral diamond "tri-part" tiara often worn by HM Queen Margrethe. In the book it is obvious that BSJ has no factual information on the piece; everything is researched via old photos. It is said to have belonged to a Danish-American, but nothing else in known of its origin, though BSJ adds that "perhaps one could assume that it has royal provenance" ( The jewels of the Danish royal House, NNF 2002, p. 102).

I am not discounting the obvious facts in the book, on the contrary, however it is easy to see when BSJ has been given detailed information on the jewellery and when he hasn't. He is even quite up front about his method and mentions in the foreword that despite he has been assisted
by HM, Princess Benedikte and others (esp. the Rosenborg-branch)- there is information he has been denied, like gaining access to the royal Glücksburg) archives.

I don't know if you are Danish or read Danish, in which case I would suggest that you read his book. It is the best authority on the Danish RF jewellery, but there is a lot BSJ has not been told because the core members of the DRF did not want to divulge private and (perhaps) sensitive information.

It is an interesting book, however BSJs Danish is often toe-crumbling! An editor could have weeded out the worst idioms and prepared the text for print!

And since you are certain that the Queen Frederica tiara was definitely sold, it would be good to know your source of information, please.

I have read ad nauseam that the tiara was sold! However I have no proof that it was, just as you have no proof that it wasn't! :)

Suppose the tiara been in the care of the former Greek royal family, as you seem to suggest, I see no reason why it should not have been worn by the former Queen Anne-Marie! She likes her bling, and she and ex-king Constantine have so far staged two big state- of- the- art family weddings in London for their children.

Of course I cannot rule out that somebody (the Millers? )bought back the tiara and gave it to the former Greek royal family. I just don't see any point in mothballing it since it was their piece of jewellery in the first place! :)

ISeeing how King Constantine is hopeful for a revival of the Greek monarchy, I have often wondered if the auspicious occasion they are waiting for is the day they are allowed to return to Greece as monarchs. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it may be a sentimental thing for them (Constantine and Anne-Marie) to equate Frederika's tiara with their homecoming. Whether or not this means that Marie-Chantal will ever wear it, is another thing altogether.

Yep, I was thinking along those lines too, especially because the Constantines seem to be hoping against hope! I don't see a restoration happening and even if I did, I'd suggest that the Greeks chose another dynasty! I am sorry to say that this branch of the Glücksburgs is a liability to Greek nation, IMO of course!

Back
Top Bottom