Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid of Norway Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But from what I know, some of Princess Ragnhild's jewels were destined to go back to the RF. It's not as if the Princess had a choice to leave them to someone else. (That goes for the jewels she had from her mother CP Märtha, eg. the diamond tiara that once belonged to Queen Maud.)

And admittedly CP Mette-Marit is not at all fond of wearing jewels. Usually she prefers to wear her smallest tiara, often nearly hidden far back on her head. So I am not surprised that she didn't trot out P. Ragnhild's jewels.

Queen Sonja might think it strange to wear the jewels of her late sister-in-law. Maybe it's just me, but I think it kind of creepy to inherit personal items from someone of your own generation. It feels more natural to inherit from older generations. So I think that Ragnhild's jewels might be kept in store for Ingrid Alexandra. Sigh, it will be a long wait till she starts wearing serious jewels. I don't think that Ragnhild's dislike of MM is the only reason why the jewels haven't been worn.

But from what I know, some of Princess Ragnhild's jewels were destined to go back to the RF. It's not as if the Princess had a choice to leave them to someone else. (That goes for the jewels she had from her mother CP Märtha, eg. the diamond tiara that once belonged to Queen Maud.)

And admittedly CP Mette-Marit is not at all fond of wearing jewels. Usually she prefers to wear her smallest tiara, often nearly hidden far back on her head. So I am not surprised that she didn't trot out P. Ragnhild's jewels.

Queen Sonja might think it strange to wear the jewels of her late sister-in-law. Maybe it's just me, but I think it kind of creepy to inherit personal items from someone of your own generation. It feels more natural to inherit from older generations. So I think that Ragnhild's jewels might be kept in store for Ingrid Alexandra. Sigh, it will be a long wait till she starts wearing serious jewels. I don't think that Ragnhild's dislike of MM is the only reason why the jewels haven't been worn.

Princess Ragnhild died in 2012 so it are only 3 years since the Jewels came back to the main line. Perhaps Queen Sonja is waiting for a special occasion to debut the big diamond tiara if she will start to wear it.

I didn't think of that. 3 years is not much in terms of royal jewels.

What other jewels did Princess Ragnhild have from her mother's treasure trove? I only know that her other tiara, the Boucheron with the pearls, was a present from her godmother (and grandmother) Princess Ingrid. This tiara was a personal possession and is probably with Ragnhild's children.

I didn't think of that. 3 years is not much in terms of royal jewels.

What other jewels did Princess Ragnhild have from her mother's treasure trove? I only know that her other tiara, the Boucheron with the pearls, was a present from her godmother (and grandmother) Princess Ingrid. This tiara was a personal possession and is probably with Ragnhild's children.

No Idea which other Jewels Princess Ragnhild inherited from her mother and grandmother. But my guess is that if inherited some necklaces and brooches that did not go back to the main line but stayed with her husband and children.

Her Godmother was her Aunt Princess Margaretha of Denmark .
This tiara was worn before by Princess Ingeborg of Sweden.

She was Godmother also from Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg (same name) who seems to have had no jewels.

Oops, I mixed that up. Thanks for the correction.

Ursula, the owner of the site Royal-Magazin, has posted about an exciting new find about the origin of Princess Astrid's golden bandeau.
Princess Astrid of Norway | Duchess Pauline of Nassau Demi Parure with Bandeau & Brooch
Prinzessin Astrid von Norwegen | Herzogin Pauline von Nassau Demi Parure Schmuck|Bandeau & Brosche

The jewel set originates from Duchess Pauline of Nassau, née Duchess of Württemberg, and mother of Queen Sophia of Sweden. The next known wearer was Princess Ingeborg, who gave it to her granddaughter Princess Astrid.

Although this is not among my favourite jewels, I love the way Duchess Pauline has worn it in the 19th century style. And I find it quite exciting to know that the set has been in the family for 5 generations.

Last night Princess Astrid wore the diamond pendant earrings made with elements from Queen Alexandra's Regal Circlet. I think this is a first for the Princess, who has several pairs of all-diamonds earrings in her collection.
See a photo here - Link

The Princess is also wearing 3 Royal Family Orders and her unique ruby antler tiara!

The aigrett must be very lightweight and convenient to wear.

This is the one that can have the little wings on instead isn't it? I think it is a sweet piece of jewellery and obviously a favourite of Astrid's.

This is the one that can have the little wings on instead isn't it? I think it is a sweet piece of jewellery and obviously a favourite of Astrid's.

And how they suit Princess Astrid ,not sure anyone could wear them so well!

:previous:

Yes, somehow they suit Astrid well and quite unique to her! I wondered if the wings could be used as broaches when not used as a tiara - or maybe little hair ornaments.

Yes, the the antennae can be exchanged with diamond wings. I would love to see some pics of the aigrettes worn in the belle epoche fashion, with feathers. But back then were probably only worn to less important events, while the big tiaras used to come out for official pictures.

Princess Astrid with the feather version.
View image: no astrid feather

I imagine this funny tiara belonging to Astrid. We know how acquired it;

I hope tiaras belonging to Astrid stay at the royal family. The tiaras one or more belonging to Princess Ragnhild returned to the royal family; Thanks Tilia but some things for others obvious is for me unknown.

Thank you Tilia and like you said. Which will have the bold to wear this tiara in the future. Excluding the Sonia will be Mette Marit and Ingrid. Probably this tiara in the future will not see it very often....

Last edited by a moderator:
Afaik, Astrid has inherited the aigrette from her mother, CP Märtha. They had originally belonged to her grandmother, Queen Maud.

:previous: Astrid herself refers to this tiara as her antenna and says she can receive signals from both London and Moscow when she wears it. :D
That's delightful! Sounds like she has a marvelous sense of humor.

Princess Ragnhild hat two tiaras:
- The Boucheron circle tiara was a gift from her godmother and grandmother Princess Ingrid. This is was her personal possession and it was probably left to her children.
- The diamond tiara of Queen Maud was owned by her mother (who unfortunatel never had a chance to wear it). This was a live long loan, and as far as it is known to us, this one is now returned to the King.

The same goes for Princess Astrid:
- The golden bandeau was a present from her grandmother Princess Ingrid. It is owned by Astrid and she can leave it to her children.
- The other tiaras come from her mother and will return to main line of the family. These are Vasa tiara, the turquoise tiara and the two aigrettes.

So it will be interesting to see, if another Princess will be bold enough to wear these unusual aigrettes. Actually I can't imagine that they are to CP Mette-Marit's taste.

PS. This poll has pics of the Norwegian tiaras. Favourite Norwegian Tiara

To be honest i find most yellow gold tiaras quite ugly. Margarethes modern one is one of the worst. But this one is right up there:ermm:

Lovely to see a formal gala portrait of the Princess. This turquoise suit is among my favourites when it comes to her jewels. And it the tiara has such a rich history, going back to Queen Alexandra of GB. I forgot about the necklace. Did it come from Queen Alexandra as well?

Is there a way to remove posts that have closed sites on them? The last three links I clicked had been removed.

Back
Top Bottom