Princess Marie of Denmark Jewellery 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I knew how to add your "tongue hanging out", rop81, as it is just Soo perfect!! It appears that no-one is too impressed with the Princess-to-be's engagement ring. I Do hope that she is happy with it. I just know that Alexandra would have been appalled ....

Diana's ring was. most certainly exquisite. It was beatifuly set.

It certainly was :)

Marie's exudes a certain 'tackarama'. Something a child would find in a Christmas bon bon.

I'm sure the stones are quite lovely and are worth a small fortune but the contrast of blue, white and red on such a thick gold band looks as if it would be better suited upon 'Jack Sparrows' finger than that of a future royal Princess of Denmark.

I'm really curious which Tiara Marie will get and when we'll see her wearing it for the first time.
I wonder if we'll see her wearing a Tiara during some pre-wedding events (If there'll be any.. since they want a "private wedding") or if the wedding day will be the first day we'll see her wearing a Tiara.

I don't know much about the Danish Royal jewels so I have no idea which Tiara could be given to Marie.

The Queen made that mistake before and now look what's happened. The Countess of Frederiksborg can claim such a lovely and historical tiara with such a strong royal provenance as her own. I can't see any tiara from the royal vaults being bestowed upon this soon to be Princess's head.

I think, like Mary, Marie's tiara shall be one that's bought at auction. One which has no familial or historical ties with the Danish institution.

I find the ring pretty awful. I would prefer to remain single hahahhah

Now, let's be fair. I think it very unlikely that the Queen Alexandrine tiara will wind up anywhere other than the head of the future HH Princess Nikolai, so its not as if it has left the family. Knowing that the wife of her eldest son would wear not only the Desiree Clary parure, but ultimately the crown jewels, it should have come as no suprise that Queen Margarethe would gift her younger son's wife with a family tiara as well. But as the personal jewels are running low, maybe this time she will purchase a tiara for Marie with the understanding that, upon her death, Joachim will inherit some of the smaller personal jewels for his wife to wear.

That ring is just awful! it´s too wide and i don´t like the gold. Pure ugly :yuk:
Me neither - it could have been saved somewhat if it had been white gold. But 3 'busy' colours in a ring and then add gold as a fourth colour is not good. I am a bit surprised that Joachim would pick this out - unless he knows that Marie prefers gold coloured gold - and wanted to add the French touch with the three differently coloured stones. It lacks elegance and that is a pity.
Quite a different type of ring than the Fusion ring from Georg Jensen which he reportedly bought for Marie earlier this year.

It's expected that Nikolai shall inherit his mothers tiara. That's not to say it shall happen. I certainly hope it does.
As for Marie, I hope she gets something with a little height. Something not unlike that of Princess Madeleine of Sweden's favoured tiara (the King Carl XVI Gustav anniversary tiara/necklace).

Last edited by a moderator:
"It lacks elegance". Perfectly said, User Dane. Rather more like a piece of costume jewelry.

Yuck. that is all I can say. It might be okay as a fashion piece, but it is not an engagement ring. How is she supposed to wear a wedding band with that thing?

I've seen wedding bands with rings like this and they are narrow and flat. I like the ring; I think its unique but I think the stones would have looked better with a flat faced cut to fit in with the scrollwork of the ring. I think with a piece of jewelry like this, either the stones or the metal has to take center stage and a flat faced cut of the stones would have complemented rather than competed with the metalwork.

Its not a typical engagement ring however.

Because Princess Marie (sounds lovely doesn't it) is unlikely to be granted any use of the crown jewels, I do hope her tiara is one of exquisite substance and size. Something moderately demure in design but impressive by sight!

Well, I think the future Princess Marie is more than entitled to a tiara with a bit of height and substance. The fact she is soon to be the second wife of Prince Joachim does her no discredit. He is, afterall, her first and hopefully last husband.

Will Marie be given a tiara by the Queen? Does Queen Magrethe have her own collection of jewels or will they have to get a new one for her and if so which one would it be?

Where would they buy one from?

Sorry for all the questions.

The ring wouldn't be my first choice, but it has a certain unique quality to it.

Where would they buy one from?
Most probably from auction as was done with Mary's wedding tiara. Certainly, Marie won't receive anythig from the royal vault in the way of a tiara. In comparison to other royal houses, they are quite limited as is.​

Last edited:
I'm not completely hating the ring. The stones are very pretty and eye catching. I think if we saw the ring straight on the stones would show most. In the pics though that we have seen the ring is turned a little and we see more of the gold band. It is a bit wide on her finger but like another poster said these types of rings are rather flat. So maybe it is still quite easy to wear based on the flatness. I suppose my first thought when seeing the ring was that it was different and interesting. I think it also shows that this couple is likely sentimental based on the color choices. I'm sure Marie loves the ring and loves the meaning/thoughtfulness behind the ring. After all that is really all that matters!

By thoughtfulness I mean the thought that Joachim had about the French flag. It's obvoius that he understand and is sympathetic to the life she is giving up for him. So to give her a ring that acknowledges this French connection is impressive to me. Yes, she is marrying a prince but this transition can't be easy for anyone, to give up the life one has known. These royal brides that come from foreign countries really do have to sacrifice much more than their royal princes do.

However, I do wonder how a wedding ring can be worn with this ring. I think she will have to wear each on seperate hands. Yesterday her engagment ring was already noticed to be on her right hand.

I agree, Aurora810 :flowers:

I like the sentimental thought behind the ring and I don't think it is nearly as ugly as people are making it out to be. I think I would like it better if it were a little smaller but other than that I do like the fact that it is different and unique.

Here's the jeweler who executed Prince Joachim's vision of Marie's engagement ring:
Rosgaard Collection

I think the rings that are set with just diamonds look really nice. There's a nice diamond eternity ring that would be great as a wedding band for Marie.

Prince Joachim also gave Marie a ring from Georg Jensen Fusion. It's the ring in the middle of the three rings in this link:
Georg Jensen - Fusion

-Ayvee

Last edited:
I am sorry and do not wish to affend anyone but I think, IMHO, that Maries ring is very ugly. I think an engagement ring should be more traditional and elegant, not look so much like costume jewerly. Here's hoping they have better taste in the wedding rings and in the ceremony.

What you wanna bet that that ring will be reset in the near future???

He could have picked a thin band, and gotten a gorgeous marquis cut diamond with a smaller ruby and sapphire on either side and made the same point.

When will these princes stop playing amateur jewelry designer? (Prince Edward with Sophie's yin/yang pearls comes to mind.) Their wives deserve better! Leave it to the professionals, guys! :angry:

Rebafan81, I don't find your comment offensive. After all, you are just stating your opinion which is what this board is about! (and what makes it soo interesting!) I totally agree with you. It Will be interesting to see just how regal and elegant the wedding will be as that will be their choice as well...

I am sorry and do not wish to affend anyone but I think, IMHO, that Maries ring is very ugly. I think an engagement ring should be more traditional and elegant, not look so much like costume jewerly. Here's hoping they have better taste in the wedding rings and in the ceremony.

I agree wholeheartedly!

When she becomes Princess of Denmark, what kind of Crowns or Jewels the Queen will loan her from the royal crown collection?

When she becomes Princess of Denmark, what kind of Crowns or Jewels the Queen will loan her from the royal crown collection?

That is one big guessing game right now! I have read that other posters have said that the royal family's jewels are currently running a little low. And I believe Mary's wedding tiara was bought at auction. So it is really a big guess as to what future jewels or tiaras the soon to be Princess Marie will be seen in.

It's not so much that the Danish vault is running low. It's never compared in size to the Swedish, English or the Dutch collections.

It's almost guaranteed Marie shall receive no tiara from the royal collection. It shall either be bought at auction, just as Mary's was, or it shall be made for her. The latter seems unlikely and is much too time consuming so a look 'around' Sotheby's (or any highly regarded jewellery related auctioneer) is most likely.

Last edited:
I think it's not appropriate for an engagement ring... just my opinion.

I think the ring is very pretty, but rather unconventional for an engagement ring. If it were smaller in scale, it'd probably work. It certainly isn't the type of ring made for everyday wear and tear. My guess is after she gets a wedding band, we'll see less of this ring. I hope Joachim got some input from Marie before hand as to what she'd like. I wouldn't mind being surprised as long as my future fiance kept four words in mind: emerald cut, white metal.

I do hope that however the RF comes by Marie's soon-to-be tiara, it's a pretty one.

It's not so much that the Danish vault is running low. It's never compared in size to the Swedish, English or the Dutch collections.

It's almost guaranteed Marie shall receive no tiara from the royal collection. It shall either be bought at auction, just as Mary's was, or it shall be made for her. The latter seems unlikely and is much too time consuming so a look 'around' Sotheby's (or any highly regarded jewellery related auctioneer) is most likely.

Yes but this is because jewels where inherited by all children. There are at last 3 tiaras from Queen Alexandrine in the posession of Prince Knuds descendants. The same with the Jewels of Queen Ingrid. I think also that they will buy a new one, because the other aree only the baden palmette tiara which is frequently worn by the Queen. the small floral tiara can not given as it is the Family foundation.

Of course, though such items were always going to be passed down so would not have entered the equation to begin with. At no time would have it been planned for those selected pieces (now in the possession of the Rosenborg's) to remain crown or state property.

The Jewels of the late Queen Mother Ingrid are of course divided between her three daughters with the exception of the Queen Désirée parure which as we know was bequeathed to the Crown Prince, for the benefit and use of the prospective (at the time of Ingrid's passing) Crown Princess.

But if the would have done it like on the dutch Family and have put the Main-Jewels in a Foundation and shared them the Collection would not become smaller. If now the baden-palmette tiara is given to Marie and not bought a new one the Queen has one lesser to use. Why not let Marie use one of the other's (baden-palmette, small floral, turqiose bandeau). This way she could use more and not only always the same one like Alexandra. This way the collection would stay intact and they would not have to buy new tiara's for new daughter-in-laws or if Isabella turns 18.

I think that the engagement ring would have looked better if the stones were set in the gold like the other rings on the site.

The ring is not my taste, but then again I'm not marrying Joachim so it really doesn't matter to me.
If Marie is happy with it then that is all that matters, right?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom