Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duchess of Gloucester still wears her Turquoise Parure quite often. As for Princess Margaret's, I think it might be in the Queen's possession again because, as far as I know, the Queen Mother only loaned - and not gifted - the parure to Margaret.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to think that Margaret's is in HMs possession, though it is difficult to tell at this stage. If so, I would live to see Camilla use the tiara.

The Turquoise Parure was the Queen Mother's present to Princess Margaret for her 21st birthday so it would be an unusual gift if only on loan!

The Turquoise Parure was the Queen Mother's present to Princess Margaret for her 21st birthday so it would be an unusual gift if only on loan!
I have read conflicting reports on this. According to most sources, the Persian Turquoise Parure (consisting of a tiara, a necklace, earrings, several hair pieces and a brooch) was indeed a gift to Margaret on the occasion of her 21st birthday. Some other sources, however, state the parure was a loan to Margaret to be used for life but, after her death, to be returned to the royal collection. Either way, the present whereabouts of the tiara (or other pieces of the parure) are unknown.

You're right - but what we do know is that HM the Queen does not appear to be in the habit of absorbing other family members' jewels into her own collection (apart from her late Mother's which were bequeathed to her). For example the Cambridge Sapphires Tiara - a hugely important family piece originating with the Duchess Cambridge, then passing via the Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg Strelitz to Queen Mary and then to the Kents via Princess Marina - sold and gone along with numerous other pieces . It is my suspicion ( and of course this cannot be proven until we see them again) that Princess Margaret's remaining jewels are in the possession of her two children.

The Cambridge sapphires were the private property of Queen Mary so she was free to do with them as she wished, in this case gifting them to Marina so I don't think there was ever a chance of them being returned to the Crown. If Margaret's turquise parure was the personal property of the Queen Mother the same situation would exist, private property gifted as she saw fit. If on the other hand it was part of the Crown Collection then it should have been returned. We probably won't know for sure until it shows up on another wearer. Right now all we know is that it was not sold with Margarets other jewels.

The Turquoise Parure was originally a wedding gift from George V and Queen Mary to The Queen Mother when she married in 1923. She rarely wore it and gave it to Margaret on her 21st birthday.

I doubt the parure returned to The Queen after Margaret's death because all of her jewels were her personal property and inherited by her children.

More likely, the parure was retained by Viscount Linley or Lady Sarah instead of being included in the auction.

TheTurquoise Parure belongs to,Princess Margarets's children not the Queen, so we are unlikely to see it on anyone else.

I think because HM has such a vast jewel collection, she wouldn't be interested in pieces that don't have a main connection to the crown. Case in point, the magnificent Poltimore tiara that Princess Margaret's children sold after her death and the Queen didn't purchase it because its provenance was linked to Lady Poltimore, wife of Baron Poltimore. Now, personally, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat being less interested in prior ownership and more for the beauty of the piece!;)

It's either that or the gorgeous Portland tiara! I'd be satisfied with either.:D

I should also add that I can't say for sure that HM didn't buy the Poltimore tiara because of its provenance; I'm just speculating that she most likely did not because of that reason.

Last edited:
Do we know who it was - maybe a friendly SHeikh who might gift it back to Camilla????

I dont think we know who the purchaser was. Some stories suggested Mrs Marcos and others said a wealthy Chinese lady. As far as I know it has never been seen since the auction.

I do think its a shame Princess Margaret's tiara was sold. An elegant tiara never to be seen again. Queen Mary wouldn't have let it slip through the royal fingers.

Princess Margaret's jewellery, including £100 secondhand watch Queen Mother bought her, to fetch millions at public auction | Mail Online
3 April 2013

Round 2?
The article does not state the current ownership of the various pieces although it is likely to be Viscount Linley and/or Lady Sarah.

Princess Margaret's jewellery, including £100 secondhand watch Queen Mother once bought her, to fetch millions at public auction

• Rare collection of personal items to go under the hammer in Birmingham
  • Items include a flawless 5.16 carat diamond ring expected to fetch £750,000
  • Secondhand gold watch by Cartier, bought as present by Queen Mother also on sale
A rare collection of personal items that once belonged to Princess Margaret is to go under the hammer for the first time at a public auction. The Princess Margaret Collection, which comprises belongings from her apartment in Kensington Palace, will be sold at the 'Antiques for Everyone' auction in Birmingham this month.

Items going under the hammer include a flawless 5.16 carat diamond ring, made for the Princess in 1970, that is expected to fetch £750,000. A solid gold clock with the princess' initial with a crown over it is expected to fetch up to £140,000. Other items for sale include trinkets, paintings and photos of the Princess, with prices beginning at £2,000.

A Cartier watch bought for Princess Margaret by the Queen Mother for her 20th birthday will also feature in the sale. The Queen Mother purchased the art deco watch second hand from the famous jewellers in 1940 for just £100. It is now worth £150,000.

A spokesman for Riverside Antiques said: 'All of the items on sale have been authenticated by Princess Margaret’s son Lord Linley. 'What is so compelling about the collection is that it is part of the fascinating and sometimes turbulent life of the Princess and many of these items were personally used or worn by her.'

Also for sale, but not at the fair because of its size, is a four poster bed which was made for the royal Princesses’ grandparents. It resided mainly at Glamis Castle where Princess Margaret was born and is widely believed to be the bed she was born in.

v some items
1. the 5.16 carat diamond ring - in presentation box
2. top of the gold clock with Princess Margaret's monogram
3. the art deco Cartier watch
4. the 5.16 carat diamond ring - worn by a model

Thumbnail images form heavily cropped portions of larger photographs.

Attachments

• Margaret ring 1.jpg
    Margaret ring 1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 472
  • Margaret clock monogram.jpg
    Margaret clock monogram.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 464
  • Margaret Cartier watch.jpg
    Margaret Cartier watch.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 635
  • Margaret ring 2.jpg
    Margaret ring 2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 615
I do quite like the gold clock with the Princesses Monogram but I shan't be placing a bid ;)

Last edited:
This is the most hideous diamond setting I've ever seen. For a flawless ring, it is very dull.

This is the most hideous diamond setting I've ever seen. For a flawless ring, it is very dull.

Here is another view. Diamond ring made for Princess Margaret set to sell for £750,000

It is a fantasy cut that looks nowhere near flawless.

I've looked at all the photos I can find and still cannot figure out it's outside shape. In this photo, it almost looks like an arrow.

Against all odds, it appears Margaret had another 5.16 carat diamond. See
Christie's - Property from the Collection of Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon

Her family wasn't fooling around on putting some of her stuff up for auction.

The diamond is in its crystal form ie unpolished hence there is no sparkle - I agree with you , what is the point !

That is the strangest setting/stone I've ever seen and provenance or not, I think I'll pass on placing a bid!;)

I always loved the jewels she wore the ring is very much not her IMO but the watch I would LOVE to have it ...

According to the Tudorswiki it is Queen Mary's diamond bandeau. It had
"lozenge-shaped motifs and was originally surmounted by 13 large oval oriental pearls set on spikes". They were removed by 1946. However when was this tiara "removed"?? It could be in the vaults or it could have been broken up or even sold!
Margaret borrowed it! A "kindergarten tiara, perhaps"??

viv

Last edited:
I think the Duchess of Cambridge already has her "starter" tiara. Perhaps this is one that might be used for the future wife of Harry.

Back
Top Bottom