Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not so sure it was remodeled--but wasn't it shortened?

At the time of the auction, I acquired the catalogue and looked through everything, so I feel confident enough to say that neither the turquoise parure nor the Snowdon floral tiara were auctioned. Neither was the Teck necklace (or the tiara). For the most part, pieces associated with the Royal family were kept, and those that were of more recent purchase were sold. However, there were still some pieces of royal provenance that were auctioned, notably including one of Queen Mary's diamond riviere necklaces, which is simply stunning and a tragic loss to the royal family.

I do wish someone would wear that persian turquoise tiara, though. I am absolutely itching to see it worn, as it is my favourite turquoise tiara.

(The Savoy family of Italy DID auction their turquoise parure, though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, everybody! My first post, and about my favorite tiaras, how appropriate.

Princess Margaret Rose was one of my very least favorite royals, but she did have three of the best tiaras going: the Poltimore, the papyrus and the Persian turquoise. I was very sad to learn that the Poltimore went to a wealthy Asian woman, which means we'll never see it worn again by a royal.

But I LOVE this site, being a huge jewel fan (and having, if I may boast, some very nice antique diamond and colored-stone pieces of my own). I will continue to read with interest.

Hello Duchess Ravenna and Welcome to the Royal Forums!:welcome:I hope that you enjoy this site as much as I have. I believe my first post was in the favorite tiaras thread--and yes, I came here for the jewels originally.
I do agree that Margaret had three of the best tiaras--truly incomparable, to be sure. But, I'm curious as to why she is one of your least liked royals--do tell!

Serena Linley now has the floral tiara. There are pics somewhere on the forum of her wearing a part of it in her hair since the auction.

I know that Princess Margaret bought her tiara for her marriage to Tony Armstrong-Jones, which seems strange when you think how many tiaras belong to the BRF, but this one was irresistible, absolutely fabulous. It has been sold again by Princess Margaret´s children (how sad) but if anyone can post a picture I would love to see it again. It was the Portman or a name very much like it, sorry I can´t remember off hand.

For Menarue, some pics of the Poltimore Tiara, which was a wedding gift from the Queen to mark Margaret's marriage. I believe she bought it at auction from a Baron for about 5,000 pounds back in the 60's.When Lord Linley sold his mother's signature piece it it fetched over 1.7 million dollars.
http://image56.webshots.com/56/0/39/51/2139039510056005517GgDChs_ph.jpg
http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/p..._06/images/revive/Princess-Margaret-tiara.jpg
and Princess Margaret wearing the piece:
Tête-à-Tête: Royals & Tiara's

Thanks Janet, that is one gorgeous tiara.

Wow! The Poltimore tiara is absolutely stunning. That is quite a return the family got on its investment (buying for 5,000 pounds, selling for 1.7 million).

It was a pretty impressive return on the initial investment. I just wish they hadn't sold it, however, as I've said, I'm glad they sold that one if they had to sell. The other of Princess Margaret's (Papyrus, turquoise) had actual royal and historic connections--this one was "just a tiara she bought" (BUT what a tiara it was!!!)

Poor little gorgeous enormous Poltimore - royal for spell - now probably back to being a commoner´s tiara. The funny part is that it was probably that more or less short period of being royal that caused it to fetch such a large sum.
If it had been mine, I would never ever have sold it. It is stunning.

Menarue , I saw on the item 90 a beautiful black and white picture of Princess Margaret wearing her Poltimore tiara.
I don't remember exactly , but I think that Lord Snowdon was against the auction his son organised many years ago..
At the auction if it was a tiaira of Lady X , they should never pay 1,7 million USD..

Yes, I think I can remember Lord Snowdon against the auction, but I suppose he didn´t have much say in it. He is married again and probably the two children were the only heirs. I thought the Queen would buy some of it. There was the most beautiful brooch that had, I think Princess Margaret´s initials and arms but I can´t remember the details. The children may have needed the money but it was a bit upsetting that the beloved Mustique home, which Princess Margaret gave to her son before she died was sold because they preferred to have a house in France. I believe she was very upset, but she gave it to him and that was that.
Some people are obviously more sentimental than others. I have a few pieces that in my opinion are not very pretty but as family members loved them I have kept them.
Not that long ago at an antique fair a lovely old picture frame caught my eye and when I looked closely at what it was framing it was a Papal blessing for a marriage.
I asked the seller where it had come from and he said that it was the daughter who had sold it to him..... Well I bought it there and then and have it hung in a dark place and so probably a visitor not looking that closely will think it is ours(not meant to mislead anyone though), my children thought I was silly but I felt so sorry to see it in the middle of junk I just had to rescue it.

The brooch with Margaret's initial was a present to her from Queen Mary !
Perhaps someone may find a picture of it ?

The brooch with Margaret's initial was a present to her from Queen Mary !
Perhaps someone may find a picture of it ?

Now that is one piece of jewellery that I, if I were her son or daughter, would never ever sell.

I still can't believe that they sold so many jewels of their mothers. I would strip my house bare of paintings and keep the jewels. Or at least sold them to someone privately who would keep them in honor of the Princess. But I do know not everyone loves jewellry the way I do!! I don't care if paintings are fake or copies, but jewelry is different.IMO

I am right there with you Rubies. I am a jewellery fanatic and if it has family history as well, well then it would never never leave my sight. The brooch in particular, given by Queen Mary and with the letter M..... it makes me almost cry. I wonder if the M was for Mary originally or was made for Margaret....
I am surprised the Queen didn´t buy it, then perhaps she did.

These auctions are so upsetting! I hated, literally hated, to see Queen Mary's riviere sold. That's just disgraceful. I can understand needing immediate cash to pay death duties, but Linley's wife, Serena, is worth a great deal of money herself.
Unfortunantly, it is not uncommon for these things to happen. The Kents sold the tiara from the Cambridge Sapphire Parue, which had been in Mary's family for generations, and remodeled the necklace to create this odd looking button type tiara. I also lament the loss of Marina's bow brooch, which was also sold. The Kents have money troubles, but Lord Linley shouldn't.
Regardless, HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon wearing the Poltimore on her wedding day:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1050172532651_2003/04/14/lordsnowdon,0.jpg

wearing the Papyrus with the diamond and pearl earrings and a riviere:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1171/1065480963_86a587c222.jpg?v=0

The Poltimore as tiara, necklace, brooches:
http://image61.webshots.com/161/2/11/56/2019211560031751182MuUCeq_ph.jpg

Snowdon Floral Tiara:
http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/images/windsor/saraharmstrongjones.jpg

However, I have to admit of all her jewels the turquoises are my favorite.
http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/images/windsor/saraharmstrongjones.jpg

At the time of the auction it was said that a few 'important' pieces were added to draw interest to the auction. Linley and his sister have very little use for tiaras and grand jewels and I assume there was a great deal more that they kept.

SCANDALOUS, I say, simply SCANDALOUS! I cannot believe the amount of jewelry which was sold. It is incredible! I wonder if there is anything left for the grandchildren, or the future Snowden line. Wait until you see this--it will BOGGLE your mind the amount of pieces sold. I mean, I knew a lot were sold, but this is ridiculous.
A RUBY, CULTURED PEARL AND DIAMOND NECKLACE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

after clicking on the link just click on each piece on the right hand side. When you are finished with the first list, click next. This continues for a while. Enjoy the feast, but again, it was truly awful the amount of items that were sold.

Some items sold that positively amaze me that someone would allow them to pass from the family:
An 1893 wedding gift to the future Queen Mary from her father in law, the future King Edward VII. Truly wrong to give this up.
A BELLE EPOQUE DIAMOND AND RUBY RING | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Given by the Canadian government to Princess Margaret on one of her visits, I suppose the feelings of the Canadians don't particularly matter:
A PAIR OF CULTURED PEARL AND DIAMOND EARCLIPS, BY BIRKS | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

A brooch Margaret received for her first important solo engagement! I guess sentimentality is unimportant:
A DIAMOND AND EMERALD HEATHER BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Gift from Montreal when she visited:
A DIAMOND-SET MAPLE LEAF BROOCH, BY BIRKS | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

brooch given to the Queen Mother as a child (I cannot imagine selling such a piece of family history!)
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND AND GEM-SET BEE BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

18th birthday gift from Queen Mary to Princess Margaret--and Margaret wore them often--yet they were sold. I'll bet a granddaugter would have loved them.
AN ART DECO PEARL AND DIAMOND NECKLACE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Confirmation gift from Queen Mary
AN ART DECO SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Gift to an 8 year old Margaret from her father:
A DIAMOND AND GEM-SET 'GIANDINETTO' BROOCH, BY CARTIER | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Christmas gift to Queen Mary from King George V--the bracelet formerly belonged to the Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia!
A DIAMOND, PEARL AND GEM-SET BRACELET | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Birthday gift to Queen Mary from George V:
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND PENDANT | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Queen Mary's Riviere--one of Margaret's most worn jewels:
QUEEN MARY'S DIAMOND RIVIERE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Some of the items in the collection weren't all that great, but honestly, these pieces had to be sold? I just don't get it.

This really makes me a little ill to look at the beautiful pieces GONE GONE GONE! and I don't like to be rude but Lady Sarah could have used some of these pieces to give herself a little makeover IMO!

So true, so true. What has always annoyed me was that Serena Stanhope, David Linley's wife, is worth a good sized fortune--why sell all of those items? He should have sold enough to pay the death duties and been done with it.

I still can't believe that they sold HRH Princess Margaret's personal jewelry. I have read numerous times that Linley is money hungry.

Forget the beauty of her jewels; the history alone, I wouldn't had sold it.

I have to say that I was not aware of the scale of the sale, and the sheer number of pieces with historic or family significance that were sold by Linley. I do accept that it is wrong for us to expect Linley / Chatto to hold on to the jewels if they have no real use for them, and cold use the cash better. That said, the main thought that comes to my mind is that if Linley / Chatto were not keen to have the jewels and wanted the cash, why HM did not step in and prevent them from going to auction. I know HM has been quoted as suggeting that they already have enough jewellery, but this is about preserving the heritage of the family if not the nation, and I do feel she has a duty to prevent some of the vast collection built up by Queen Mary is not dissipated further.

Why would anyone sell a pair of child´s ivory bangles? Surely they had been worn by either Princess Margaret or an ancestor....shame on them. These would not make them rich for sure.....there are so many things it makes the mind boggle.

Strathmore Tiara and Teck Tiara

I apologise if my question has been previously answered (only just joined TRF) but does anybody know where the Strathmore Tiara and the Teck Tiara are?

The QM (to my knowledge) hadn't worn the Strathmore Tiara for years?

Or are these questions just part of the larger question....exactly what is in those vaults? After all before the Duchess of Cornwall wore it the Delhi Durbar Tiara hadn't been seen since 1937... so who knows what else is in there?

Back
Top Bottom