Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be nice if the Prince of Wales purchsed the Poltimore Tiara as he was rather close with his aunt and then it could stay in the family for his grandchildren.

I really hope that the Persian Turquoise Parure, the Teck Circle Tiara/necklace stay in the family.

In the HELLO! article is says they are also selling their Chelsea flat for 1.5 million, so yes they are selling a home too. But I guess that is not enough, oh well I just hope another royal family buys the jewels so we can keep seeing them used. The Paltimore tiara is just divine, I would hate to see it go to someone who wont use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say I'm very disapppointed to learn that Princess Margaret's children are selling off her beautiful jewellery. If they are doing so in order to pay death duties/inheritance tax, then I'm quite surprised that The Queen hasn't paid it for them (it's not like she can't afford to).

You would think that the Queen would pay it so that her things would not be sold. I want the "M" pin with a crown on top! I could wear it my name starts with a "M". Maybe hubby will get it for me - you think so:D

Maybe it was discussed with the Queen and she felt blackmailed or just not so attached to these pieces ??

People in this thread brought up that the Swedish King should buy some jewelry for princess Madeleine.

Why on earth would someone want princess Margaret's bad luck and unfortunate destiny chanelled onto a nice young princess like Madeleine :confused:

Warren, thank you for posting the link to Christies.

While I am also disappointed these will be sold, the bright side seems to be that many of us will have a chance to see some of the items in person, as they will travel to many temporary exhibition sites.

now i know why they say shes the "last real princess." in her pictures, you can tell she knew that she was a princess. she wasn't aloof or apologetic about it. there's confidence in the way she looks and how she displayed her jewels. it's as if she knew she was above the rest of us, sounds absurd right? but shes very confident. i see her confidence in letizia of spain and alexandra of denmark.

Daneborn said:
Why on earth would someone want princess Margaret's bad luck and unfortunate destiny chanelled onto a nice young princess like Madeleine :confused:

Daneborn, I have no idea if you're superstitious or not but I for one don't think that just because a certain person who owned a piece of jewelry had bad luck means that another princess will. I believe Madeliene or another princess would look beautiful with them on. Who are we to know if it will bring bad luck or not?

Margaret's jewels are not that important to the overall Royal Collection because most of them were purchased by Queen Mary and passed on, or Margaret herself acquired the pieces through her mother or during her marriage.

We have to wait and see which pieces end up on the block. Certainly, I would hope the Teck diamond necklace and Queen Mary's diamond earrings are retained by Viscount Linley.

The last "Point de Vue" magazine shows some of the jewels which will be auctionned in june.
Diamonds : the Poltimore tiara, the cluster pendants earrings (Queen Mary's ?), the riviere of collets necklace, the famous "M" brooch, a three dimensional flower brooch, a Rose of York brooch (part of the sapphire and diamond suite that where wedding gifts from Queen Mary to the future Queen Mother), a bracelet, a watch and a marquise-cut diamond ring.
Rubies and diamond : a magnificient Cartier flower brooch, a pairs of pendants, two art-deco bracelets and two rings. One is a marquise-cut diamond surrounded by rubies. The other is a half hoop with three rubies.
Pearls : The five rows necklace.
The article doesn't mention the Teck circle tiara-necklace, nor the turquoise parure (the old set and the new pieces), nor the papyrus tiara... Hope these will be retained by the family ?
We are still waiting for the catalog...

The turquoise parure also belonged to Queen Mary and was given to the Queen Mother as a wedding gift. She never wore it and gave it to Margaret for her 21st birthday.

branchg said:
The turquoise parure also belonged to Queen Mary and was given to the Queen Mother as a wedding gift. She never wore it and gave it to Margaret for her 21st birthday.

I knew The Gloucester's turquoise parure had belonged to Queen Mary's family.
I didn't about The Queen Mother's one. The gift was from King George, not from Queen Mary.
Princess Margaret has added two new pieces to the set : a bow brooch and a ring.

I have seen once pictures of HM the Queen-Mother wearing the Turquoise parure. I think it was on Danjel's site.

Persian Turqoise Tiara

You're right, Hans. There are actually two pics of the Queen Mother wearing the tiara. I have copies and will try to get them posted.

Mapper

Three tiara pics, here.
(Papyrus, Poltimore and Persian Turquoise)

Last edited:
Poltimore Tiara Sold?

Hey i just read in the paper that Viscount Linley the son of Her Royal Highness The Countess of Snowdon has sold one of the Princesses holiday homes and her wedding tiara from the daughter of Lord Poltimore can someone tell me if this is true and how much it sold for and who bought it? cheers xxx

I've heard that Linley has commissioned Christie's to sell a lot of P. Margaret's belongings in order for him to pay the large death tax resulting from her passing. The Poltimore tiara will be included in the sale, which is to be held sometime in the coming months. As far as holiday homes go, I think P. Margaret only had one...on the island of Mustique...which she gave to her son several years ago, before her death. He then sold it at a tidy profit, but that's been a good while ago. I'm sure there will be publicity about the upcoming Christie's sale, so keep an eye out for it in your local newspaper, etc.

Dane said:
Hey i just read in the paper that Viscount Linley... has sold one of the Princesses holiday homes and her wedding tiara
Dane, if you read through the recent posts in this thread you will find out what is happening with some of Princess Margaret's jewels.

I wonder if Charles would be willing to buy some of his aunt's jewels for Camilla. I think any of Margaret's tiaras would go well with Camilla's hair.

And I wonder what, if anything, besides death duties is causing the "general financial shakeup"? Is Sarah participating in this, or is it Linley's responsibility to deal with the death duties?

That depends on who is the executor of her will, I think.

Gaël LE BOLLOCQ said:
I knew The Gloucester's turquoise parure had belonged to Queen Mary's family.
I didn't about The Queen Mother's one. The gift was from King George, not from Queen Mary.
Princess Margaret has added two new pieces to the set : a bow brooch and a ring.

It is right that the Gloucester's Parure belogend to the Teck Family, but Q Mary assembled both to one, and later parted it into two one for the Gloucester and the other for Princess Margret.

Queen Mary wished that every "new" family tree of her children (I mean for her sons and daughter) ownes one complete Parure (Tiara, Necklace, Brooch and may a Bracelet) with conection to the "older Royals"( Duchess of Kent, King Gerog III and Teck's etc.)

You can see it for example
Gloucester: Turquoise Parure
Kent: Cambridge Sapphier Parure
Lascalles: Sapphire (small Tiara from Queen Victoria)

So the auctioned items are not really linked with the royal family like other items....and remember there were als auctions after the death of queen alexandra in 1925 and marina, duchess of kent in the 1960s

For the most part, the royal family has avoided selling anything that is closely connected to the Crown, but has certainly gotten rid of other pieces to pay death duties.

The Earl of Harewood sold off many of Princess Mary's sapphires, most of which were from Queen Mary, as did The Duke of Kent. Princess Alexandra sold some of her mother's diamonds in the 60's and even The Queen Mother sold off some of Queen Mary's jewels, notably an amethyst parure that Queen Mary received in a charity auction.

I just finished checking out all 192 lots on the christies site. Some of the pieces are very gorgeous. Its worth taking a look. Be warned though it
took more than an hour to look at them all. Either christies is slow or my
connection is slow. Enjoy!

late Princess Margaret's jewels at Christies in New York

Getty Images

Some controversy seems to have been developing around Linley's initiative to auction his mother's belongings:
according to Cindy Adams, a gossip maven who more often than not does get it right, Lord Snowdon and Linley, father and son respectively, are not on speaking terms anymore because Snowdon disagrees about selling Margaret's items, the tiara among them:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/cindy/cindy.htm

According to Adams, some of the sale is now halted after Lord Snowdon wrote an angry letter to Christies, disputing the validity of the sale.

Back
Top Bottom