Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Russian Treasures on IG has a theory that the Tiara is that of one belonging to Lady Evelyn Vestey, wife of William 1st Baron Vestey. There is a picture, not a very clear one, that depicts her wearing a Tiara very very similar to the one Princess Elisabeth is wearing.

It was modeled off the Faberge Pearl Tiara made for Empress Alexandra Federovna I believe. I do have a picture of Lady Evelyn’s Tiara via the IMG_7443.JPGLafayette photographic studio.

Could this have been bought for Princess Elisabeth from the Vestey estate?

Last edited:
Looks, like a match, especially in side by side photos on Russian Treasures!

I would be really, really disappointed if Elisabeth's first tiara were a loan. She should have her own tiara, as is a tradition in her family. I think it was bought for her, but I doubt that it was acquired at an auction. There are other, more discreet ways to purchase jewels, and I doubt that they want information about price, quality or previous owner out in the public.

Maybe the young princesses will attend Queen Margrethe's delayed jubilee celebrations, so we'd soon know if she repeats this tiara. Usually it's only the Scandinavian royals for the Danish jubilees, but maybe they invite a larger circle to make up for the cancelled birthday festivities? (Well, hope dies last;))

I would be really, really disappointed if Elisabeth's first tiara were a loan.

It would be very embarrassing that a reigning house would have to borrow a tiara for the future queen.
The non reigning Greek RF have a better intact jewel collection than the Belgians.

It would be very embarrassing that a reigning house would have to borrow a tiara for the future queen.
The non reigning Greek RF have a better intact jewel collection than the Belgians.

CP Mary, a future queen consort, was wearing a borrowed tiara even though she personally owns 3 diadems.

CP Mary, a future queen consort, was wearing a borrowed tiara even though she personally owns 3 diadems.

True, but the design of her tiara was inspired by her, which means it was made "for her'' and as I understood, she has the unique right to use it, despite the fact that she doesn't own it...

Similar to life loan...which is a bit different that loaning it just for one night...

I don't think it's a loan because they don't have to. Yes the Belgians don't have many tiaras but it's still enough for Mathilde and Elisabeth wear one respectively at the same time.

Princess Elisabeth receives no Dotation. If her parents or the Government decided to use that money to gift the Heiress with her own(very beautiful) first tiara I am thrilled.

She is a Royal princess after all.;)

The ring is gorgeous but I also caught a glimpse of the back of her head.

Elisabeth's chignon/tiara hair was stunning!

Russian Treasures on IG has a theory that the Tiara is that of one belonging to Lady Evelyn Vestey, wife of William 1st Baron Vestey. There is a picture, not a very clear one, that depicts her wearing a Tiara very very similar to the one Princess Elisabeth is wearing.

It was modeled off the Faberge Pearl roar made for Empress Alexandra Federovna I believe. I do have a picture of Lady Evelyn’s Tiara via the View attachment 303008Lafayette photographic studio.

It really does look like it! Hope they bought it!! ?? tiaras today are so much expensive than they used to be 10-15 years ago. Buying it must have cost a fortune.

It was modeled off the Faberge Pearl roar made for Empress Alexandra Federovna I believe. I do have a picture of Lady Evelyn’s Tiara via the View attachment 303008Lafayette photographic studio.

Looks very similar ,the Baroness Vestey died in 1941 and was childless.

Looks very similar ,the Baroness Vestey died in 1941 and was childless.

The tiara was still within the Vestey family during the 1990s, when the Hon. Saffron Vestey married Matthew Idiens.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...charles-idiens-picture-id52113619?s=2048x2048

The tiara seems a little bit wider (probably it is just the way it has been placed on the head). Not sure though if it has pearls on top. That could also mean some parts of the tiara can be altered and it would be awesome.

The tiara was still within the Vestey family during the 1990s, when the Hon. Saffron Vestey married Matthew Idiens.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...charles-idiens-picture-id52113619?s=2048x2048

The tiara seems a little bit wider (probably it is just the way it has been placed on the head). Not sure though if it has pearls on top. That could also mean some parts of the tiara can be altered and it would be awesome.

Wow! Great picture! And thank you for this new info. I wonder if the family sold it later on to pay taxes or such. A lot of British noble families are having to do that now.

It seems the current Lord William Vestey who is married Violet Henderson, now Lady Vestey inherited the title last year after his father died.

When they married Violet wore a different but substantial Tiara to their wedding. Not the one Lady Evelyn was wearing so it very well could be they sold the original Tiara thinking they wouldn’t need two? IMG_7453.JPG

If that’s true then this could’ve been bought for Princess Elisabeth.

:previous: A bit off topic, but the way Lady Violet's earrings almost perfectly match the color of her eyes is amazingly beautiful!

I'm sure that will change after the passing of King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. The two jewelry related things that I fear the most are what will happen to the Greek and the Gloucester jewelry collections after the current owners passes away. I fear that we might see many grand and historic pieces on the auction blocks.

:previous: Is there any law that can be used to keep the Gloucester jewels in the family or to be given to the British Royal Jewelry collection?

:previous: No, the jewels belong to the family and they can dispose of them as they wish. I believe it is considered appropriate to give the BRF first refusal if they intend to sell them but not obligatory.

The Vestey Tiara certainly looks like the exact same design. And if it's the one (and BeRF bought it), I'm glad that it seems to be on an adjustable base so that Elisabeth can choose how to wear it in the future.

But I do wonder if it's later confirmed to be a new purchase (either privately or through an auction) and a certain price estimation is made, will the Belgian public have issues with it? Especially since they are not exactly lacking tiaras these days.

The stone of the ring looks a bit pinkish, reflection from her dress or pink stone like topaz, tourmaline?

Re the tiara, when the Vestey family wore it it had pearl toppers, wondering if Elisabeth does get the exact same tiara, probably it's convertible too. Maybe they can put some coloured stones on it as the Belgian only has diamond tiara.

The Vestey Tiara certainly looks like the exact same design. And if it's the one (and BeRF bought it), I'm glad that it seems to be on an adjustable base so that Elisabeth can choose how to wear it in the future.

But I do wonder if it's later confirmed to be a new purchase (either privately or through an auction) and a certain price estimation is made, will the Belgian public have issues with it? Especially since they are not exactly lacking tiaras these days.

But Belgian Royal Family IS lacking tiaras and have been for decades ever since widow of Leopold III sold off many of the beautiful and historic pieces.

Queen Mathilde has access to three. Only two of them are her personal property...her wedding tiara and another one that she inherited from Queen Fabiola.

If the gorgeous Vestey Tiara now belongs to Princess Elisabeth I am thrilled.

But Belgian Royal Family IS lacking tiaras and have been for decades ever since widow of Leopold III sold off many of the beautiful and historic pieces.

Queen Mathilde has access to three. Only two of them are her personal property...her wedding tiara and another one that she inherited from Queen Fabiola.

If the gorgeous Vestey Tiara now belongs to Princess Elisabeth I am thrilled.

Just to be clear, by "not lacking" I only meant that it's not like they don't have enough tiaras for attending functions at the same time - lack of varieties or comparison with other RFs not considered.

But of course, as a royal watcher I would also be thrilled to see such a substantial new addition :flowers:

:previous: Is there any law that can be used to keep the Gloucester jewels in the family or to be given to the British Royal Jewelry collection?

The jewels worn by the Duchess of Gloucester belong to the Gloucester family and are theirs to dispose off as they consider appropriate. The main line of the BRF have no claim on them.

As @MARG has mentioned, it may be customary to offer them to the main line, but I do not see them being bought by the main line, who have plenty of jewellery themselves.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the jewels. The Gloucester children and grandchildren will have little use for the jewellery, so I suspect it will be sold in time. If the jewellery is owned by a Trust, there may not be an immediate need to see to finance inheritance tax, as can sometimes be the case.

The stone of the ring looks a bit pinkish, reflection from her dress or pink stone like topaz, tourmaline?

Re the tiara, when the Vestey family wore it it had pearl toppers, wondering if Elisabeth does get the exact same tiara, probably it's convertible too. Maybe they can put some coloured stones on it as the Belgian only has diamond tiara.

I didn’t see any Pearl toppers of the Vestey Tiara, especially in the picture of Lady Evelyn. They look like diamonds to me. Now the original version Empress Alexandra Fedeorovna wore did have pearls. But that is a slightly different design.

On itself it is not so relevant who exactly owns Elisabeth's diadem. She had an impressive diadem on this international royal event.

And auctions are okay. The 19thC diadem of Crowm Princess Mary, the Tutti Frutti set of Queen Máxima, the two diadems of Princess Claire, these are examples of addictions bought at an auction house.

I didn’t see any Pearl toppers of the Vestey Tiara, especially in the picture of Lady Evelyn. They look like diamonds to me. Now the original version Empress Alexandra Fedeorovna wore did have pearls. But that is a slightly different design.

In the photo from 90s wedding it looks like round pearls to me but who knows, the picture is old and blurry. If it's not, I wish the Belgian would make such modification to the tiara. Not necessarily precious stone, but aquamarine, amethyst or coloured pearls.

On itself it is not so relevant who exactly owns Elisabeth's diadem. She had an impressive diadem on this international royal event.

And auctions are okay. The 19thC diadem of Crowm Princess Mary, the Tutti Frutti set of Queen Máxima, the two diadems of Princess Claire, these are examples of addictions bought at an auction house.
IIRC, the Dutch faced criticism over buying the expensive tutti frutti when they already owned so much jewellery. Nothing serious, really, but if you can avoid it by buying privately... And CP Mary's new tiara was so affordable that there was no need to hide.

I wonder if the BRF is already disappointed that the Vestey tiara was discovered by some sharp-eyes jewellery watcher. From now on, the tiara will probably no longer referred to as Princess Elisabeth's tiara, or the Duchess of Brabant tiara, but as the Vestey tiara. If I were the RF, I'd prefer a tiara that doesn't come with a strange name. Like Mathilde laurel tiara, Mary's or MM's wedding tiaras, they were antique, but the previous owners were never found out. Their only association is with the current wearer.

Back
Top Bottom