Princess Astrid Of Belgium Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was last night the first time for Astrid to wear the Queen Elisabeth's Diamond Bandeau?

Was last night the first time for Astrid to wear the Queen Elisabeth's Diamond Bandeau?

As far as I know, yes it was.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, it was the first time. At least in public. Quite a surprise really. I wonder it it was a gift or a loan? But we probably learn that anyways. :sad:

As far as I know, yes it was.

Hopefully we'll find out more on whether its a loan from her mother or if Astrid now owns it,plus it really suits the Archduchess/Princess.

Dear Princess Astrid , you were great with the deco tiara , I hope it will be yours for ever.
Since years You wore Aosta jewels , now for the first time your mother's tiara. Well done !

I so do hope the Queen Elizabeth bandeau does not wnd up leaving the main line of the BRF. They have a limited selection, and it would Alne a she of this tiara left that collection.

Antwerp is the world's diamond capital (Amsterdam will disagree... ;-) and Brussels is studded with jewellers. Nothing stops the Belgians to acquire nice new bijoux...

This lovely bandeau originates from Queen Elisabeth and is the jewel with the longest family history. It has been worn by five generations of Belgian royal ladies, and I so much hope that it will one day be worn by Princess Elisabeth and stay with future Queens. The BRF has only so few jewels with such long histories left, it would be so sad to see this one disappear in the sideline.

Of course, it is a personal possession Queen Paola, and she is entitled to do with it what she wants. I also agree that Princess Astrid deserves to wear it and she deserves a fair share of her mother's jewels. But I just hope that this bandeau is only a loan to her and that she'll inherit other jewels from her mother when the time comes.

Whilst it was nice to see her wear this tiara i do hope it is only a loan. Imagine if this lovely tiara left the main line of the Belgian royal family - also are Astrids children really going to have the need for more tiaras they already have the one she normally uses.
The future of the Belgian royal family in the next decade or 2 is the King and Queen and their 4 children - that is a tiara shortage. And the belgian royals are not overly wealthly that they can go out and buy new pieces not to mention the negative press that they would receive.

I understand your position but at the other hand: Princess Elisabeth will have the most important jewels.

The princesses/archduchesses Maria Laura (pic), Luisa Maria (pic) and Laetitia Maria (pic, here with her sister-in-law Donna Elisabetta Rosboch von Wolkenstein), are also grandchildren of Queen Paola of course. She seems adoring her grandchildren and it is only very natural that she wishes her only daughter to have her best jewels.

Recently it became known that the Queen placed a pittoresque old vicarage (pic 1 and pic 2) near the Château de Fenffe in the property of her grandsons Aymeric and Nicholas (pic - sons of Prince Laurent). So maybe she is distributing a bit, re-arranging her assets.

Last edited:
When in 1900 Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria married Prince Albert future King of Belgium , they are strangely no wedding pictures.

She had no important jewels, received no jewels from Leopold II and from the Count de Flanders.

When she became Queen in 1909 she ordered some jewels such as the deco tiara and the Cartier tiara. She was seen also with small bandeau. For Marie José Wedding she wore the Cartier tiara with a big color stone on it .
For the big emerald brooch , I dont' remember and it not seen anymore

The jewels of the Countess of Flanders were stolen and the rest was given to her daughters or granddaughter Marie-José.

The King and the Queen gave Princess Astrid a bracelet when Princess Josephine Charlotte was born. This bracelet belongs now to the Duchess of luxenbourg.
She received an emerald necklace/ tiara when the heir Baudouin was born. This parure was seen of course on Princess Lilian and disapears for ever. This is a mistery for us because they were never sold in Lilian Auctions.

King Albert I died accidentally in Marche-les-Dames on 27 Februar 1934. Queen Elisabeth was in deep depression and when Prince Albert was born on 6 June 1934, instead of buying a jewel she gave to Queen Astrid her Deco tiara.

This tiara was seen later on Princess Lilian with the diamands of the 9P tiara !

On December 1960 for King Baudouin's Wedding , King Leopold III gave the deco tiara to Prince Albert. It was the first time that Princess Paola wore it. She never received it as wedding present.

What did he give to King Baudouin in December 1960 ???????(the emerald tiara/necklace ?)

For the 2 pre-weddings events Princess Liiian had to loan a tiara she wore twice.

Last edited:
I wonder has it ever been worn as a tiara?

This tiara is not one of my favorite but I am glad that thanks to the princess Astrid enjoy it for the moment, because in the future who knows??

I agree, it's ab beautiful tiara. As for it's future, I think that it will go to Princess Margarita's eldest son, who happens to be AD Lorenz. :D So there shouldn't be much to fear for Princess Astrid.

3 Archiduchesses of Habsbourg-Este, Princesses of Belgium will marry one day. They may have their grandmother's jewels.

3 Archiduchesses of Habsbourg-Este, Princesses of Belgium will marry one day. They may have their grandmother's jewels.

They already had their mother's tiara, and it's not like they will have many other occasions to wear tiaras aside their wedding day. Elisabeth, on the other hand, will have a lifetime of public engagements to attend.

They already had their mother's tiara, and it's not like they will have many other occasions to wear tiaras aside their wedding day. Elisabeth, on the other hand, will have a lifetime of public engagements to attend.

I am pretty sure Élisabeth will get a new tiara when she gets married, as was the case with his mother. She will probably start attending state events earlier than that though. I suspect she will probably wear the Brabant Laurel Wreath as a princess or, if she is lucky, the Art Deco bandeau. Mathilde can manage with the Nine Provinces, the Wolfers and the Spanish wedding gift tiaras, as Queen Fabiola did.

BTW, I seem to recall that Queen Paola also had a diamond necklace which she occasionally wore as a tiara (or a hair piece), especially when she was younger. She could leave that necklace to her granddaughters while her tiara, which was worn by two queens before her , stays with the main line of the RF.

Last edited:
They already had their mother's tiara [...].

That same argument also counts for Princess Elisabeth, of course. When you follow European royalty and nobility there are still events with jewels. It does not matter that the Archduchesses maybe have less events. When Archduchess Elisabeth ("Lilli") attends as such, she represents her husband's illustrious Houses (Austria-Este and Modena).

And one very important thing: Princess Astrid is Queen Paola's only daughter. I think that every mother with jewels will think of their very own daughter in the first place. Mathilde has the Wolfers, the Nine Provinces, her own laurel wreath and possibly the Spanish diadem. Paola's daughter possibly only received Paola's Bandeau, aside from her mother-in-law's loan.

Last edited:
That same argument also counts for Princess Elisabeth, of course. When you follow European royalty and nobility there are still events with jewels. It does not matter that the Archduchesses maybe have less events. When Archduchess Elisabeth ("Lilli") attends as such, she represents her husband's illustrious Houses (Austria-Este and Modena).

And one very important thing: Princess Astrid is Queen Paola's only daughter. I think that every mother with jewels will think of their very own daughter in the first place. Mathilde has the Wolfers, the Nine Provinces, her own laurel wreath and possibly the Spanish diadem. Paola's daughter possibly only received Paola's Bandeau, aside from her mother-in-law's loan.

Yes when Lili attends an event she is representing her husband's house, and her father in laws house. Not the Belgian royal house. It is far more fitting that she wear pieces from the Austria-Este family to which she now belongs.

By your argument Camilla and Kate should receive no jewels. Any private jewels that belong to the queen should only pass to her daughter right? We know that wont happen. Why is it any different? Mathilde is her daughter in law, still a bond with Paola. And why put all the emphasis on her archduchess granddaughters? Elisabeth is just as much Paola's granddaughter as Astrid's girls are. Elisabeth, Eleanor, and the wives of their brothers will all have far more need for tiaras then any cousin will.

Yes when Lili attends an event she is representing her husband's house, and her father in laws house. Not the Belgian royal house. It is far more fitting that she wear pieces from the Austria-Este family to which she now belongs.

By your argument Camilla and Kate should receive no jewels. Any private jewels that belong to the queen should only pass to her daughter right? We know that wont happen. Why is it any different? Mathilde is her daughter in law, still a bond with Paola. And why put all the emphasis on her archduchess granddaughters? Elisabeth is just as much Paola's granddaughter as Astrid's girls are. Elisabeth, Eleanor, and the wives of their brothers will all have far more need for tiaras then any cousin will.

No that is not what I wanted to say, but Queen Paola has only one daughter and she has probably (we don't know) left her one piece. That is really not the world upside down or something, it is quite logical that her very own daughter got something from her very own private properties.

For the same reason I would not be surprised at all when the diadem of the Cubitt-Shand family passes down to Laura Lopez née Parker Bowles, Camilla's daughter, rather than to Catherine or Meghan, despite her two stepdaughters will probably have more use of it.

Last edited:
It really depends on Paola considers the bandeau as her personal jewel or a jewel of the royal family. Leaving it to her successor or her daughter, both are reasonable to me (but of course I hope Paola leave it to Mathilde).

For the same reason I would not be surprised at all when the diadem of the Cubitt-Shand family passes down to Laura Lopez née Parker Bowles, Camilla's daughter, rather than to Catherine or Meghan.

While I agree what you said (Paola may pass it to her daughter), I think Camilla & Cubitt-Shand tiara and Paola & Elisabeth Bandeau are two different cases. (Cubitt-Shand is from Camilla's mother while the Bandeau is from Paola's father-in-law)

BTW, I seem to recall that Queen Paola also had a diamond necklace which she occasionally wore as a tiara (or a hair piece), especially when she was younger.

This one.

OT but do this tiara belong to the archduke family? Some source said it's the tiara of Margherita of Savoy-Aosta (Archduke Lorenz's mother) and her daughters wore it in their wedding.

[...]

OT but do this tiara belong to the archduke family? Some source said it's the tiara of Margherita of Savoy-Aosta (Archduke Lorenz's mother) and her daughters wore it in their wedding.

That is part of the Savoia-Aosta heirloom, by my understanding. The same counts for these jewels: still owned by Erzherzogin Margherita von Österreich-Este née Principessa di Savoia-Aosta (the mother of Lorenz). Her daughter-in-law Princess Astrid of Belgium only loans it. Which means that Astrid has no own jewels when her mother Queen Paola does not leave her the Art Déco Bandeau.

But correct me when I am wrong. It is really not such a drama when the Art Déco Bandeau continues in the family Von Österreich-Este. Look at this picture, it would really not a shocking loss, it is all by all a moderate diadem.

Last edited:
While it may not be a "big gun" of a tiara, it has still been worn by queens. I am afraid though, Paola considers it a personal piece, rather than belonging to the RF.

That is part of the Savoia-Aosta heirloom, by my understanding. The same counts for these jewels: still owned by Erzherzogin Margherita von Österreich-Este née Principessa di Savoia-Aosta (the mother of Archduke Lorenz). Her daughter-in-law Princess Astrid of Belgium only loans it. Which means that Astrid has no own jewels when her mother Queen Paola does not leave her the Art Déco Bandeau.

But correct me when I am wrong. It is really not such a drama when the Art Déco Bandeau continues in the family Von Österreich-Este. Look at this picture, it would really not a shocking loss, it is all by all a moderate diadem.

But with a long connection to the Belgian Royal family as, I insist, it was worn by Queen Élisabeth, Queen Astrid, Princess Lilian, and Queen Paola. It was also Queen Mathilde's wedding tiara.

That is part of the Savoia-Aosta heirloom, by my understanding. The same counts for these jewels: still owned by Erzherzogin Margherita von Österreich-Este née Principessa di Savoia-Aosta (the mother of Archduke Lorenz). Her daughter-in-law Princess Astrid of Belgium only loans it.

:eek:I thought the tiara Astrid wore is passed to Lorenz since he becomes head of the house:flowers:.

The bandeau is not a massive piece, its stone is not big too but it is the piece with longest history in Belgian vault (I think even longer than the Nine Provinces Tiara). It will be a pity if the bandeau leaves the RF in future. In Elisabeth's reign there will only be three tiaras in the RF. I think it's enough (as they don't have many tiara events) but, just enough.

When you follow European royalty and nobility there are still events with jewels. It does not matter that the Archduchesses maybe have less events. When Archduchess Elisabeth ("Lilli") attends as such, she represents her husband's illustrious Houses (Austria-Este and Modena).

Yes when Lili attends an event she is representing her husband's house, and her father in laws house. Not the Belgian royal house.

I would not expect Princess Elisabetta to represent her father-in-law's house either. Thus far the princess has never used the title of archduchess or even the surname of Austria-Este, and the non-reigning house of Austria-Este does not (as far as I know) organize any tiara events.

Elisabetta has to represent her father-in-law's house, or her husband's house in someday I think? After all Amedeo will be the head of house of Austria-Este. And even though they are non-reigning house they still have to attend some tiara events (or they will be invited).

Back
Top Bottom