Liechtenstein Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is an extraordinarily lucky woman!

CasiraghiTrio said:
Princess Sophie, wife of Prince Alois... anyone know the history and details for the tiaras worn by Sophie?
The tiaras are the provenance of the Wittelsbachs.

Courtesy of Elsa M. in the Alois-Sophie wedding thread: The Wedding Diademe: Sophie wore the Bavarian or Bayern Floral Tiara, a diamond tiara of small flowers and leavesmade of gold and diamonds. The first owner was Queen Therese of Bavaria and later Sophie ‘s mother.

The lower pic was taken at the Bavarian pre-wedding reception held at Nymphenburg Palace in Munich, hosted by the late Duke Albrecht, Head of the Royal House of Bavaria.

Actually the tiara worn at the Gala at Nymphenburg Castle is the Bavarian Floral Tiara. The tiara worn at the wedding is probably a Douglas heirloom from the Family of Duchess Elizabeth in Bavaria, née Countess Douglas. It was worn by Sophies sisters Marie Caroline and Elisabeth on their Wedding Days and also by their grandmother the late Countess Ottara Douglas and their aunt, Duchess Rosita of Marlborough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that there are two different tiaras? I believe she wore the Bayern floral tiara at her wedding.

Margareta said:
Do you mean that there are two different tiaras? I believe she wore the Bayern floral tiara at her wedding.
Yes it are two different tiaras. If you see a close-up then you see the difference.

Last edited:
What about the Liechtenstein Fringe Tiara? Has HSH Princess Marie worn it other than her wedding? Any photos?

michelleq said:
What about the Liechtenstein Fringe Tiara? Has HSH Princess Marie worn it other than her wedding? Any photos?
The fringe Tiara was worn by Countess Marie Kinsky at her wedding to the then Hereditary Prince Hans Adam and by Isabelle de'l Arbre de Alander at her wedding to Prince Philipp. Princess Gina has worn it for a few official photos. It was not seen in the last years.
At the Wedding Gala of Alois and Sophie Princess Marie has worn the Kinsky Tiara which was also worn two years ago by Hereditary Princess Sophie at the Wedding Gala of her sister. Also Princess Tatiana and Angela Brown wore the Kinsky Tiara on their Weddings Days. Countess Marie Kalnoky didn't wear a Tiara.

Last edited:
They don't seem to have alot of heirloom jewelry considering how wealthy the family is.

One of the poorest royal jewellery colection...
Or maybe they have more pieces somwhere?

Perhaps one of the poorest but also one of the most beautiful. I can't find fault with any piece. Lovely!

I think the majority of their money is invested in works of art instead of jewels. Perhaps the fringe tiara has been sold and that's why noone's been seen in it?

Anyone of a good picture of Marie's amethyst necklace?

Does the fringe tiara belong to the Princely Family, or does it come from the Bavarian Royal Family?

Probably it came to the Princely Family through Princess Elisabeth, Alois' great-grandmother, borh Archduchess of Austria (niece of Emperor Franz Josef).

I liked Sophie's overall look. Her tiara and brooch are magnificent pieces! The earrings are also beautiful. Amazing jewels for our eyes only! ;)

The site Noblesse and Royautees has a lot of pic and infromation on the fringe tiara.
It was made by Kochert, Vienna, in 1870 and it became a wedding gift for princess Maria Theresia of Braganca (going to marry archduke Karl Ludwig). It was then inherited by her daughter Elisabeth and used by princesses Marie and Isabelle on their wedding day. There are also pic of princess Georgina wearing it.
Le diadème de la famille princière de Liechtenstein | Noblesse & Royautés
Mariées du Gotha : Marie Aglaé de Liechtenstein | Noblesse & Royautés
Here the wedding of Sofia and Juan Carlos of Spain, you can also see (very badly actually) princess Georgina wearing the tiara. Archives : ballet d’altesses dans les escaliers du Palais royal d’Athenes | Noblesse & Royautés

Finally here's the videoclip of the wedding of emperor Charles and Zita of Bourbon Parma. I think you can see Maria Theresia with a fringe tiara, that probably is the tiara we are talking of. YouTube - Wedding Emperor Charles I of Austria & Zita / Hochzeit Kaiser Charles I von Österreich und Zita

Why, in half of these pictures, is the fringe tiara not placed straight on the wearer's head? You go to all the trouble to have someone dress your hair, especially for a wedding, and then the tiara is crooked. Is that a princess faux pas?

It is a lovely tiara, though. I like it better than the Swedish fringe.

And her brooch is nothing to sneeze at, either! :lol: It's not just the Briitish monarchy that has the fabulous jewels.

Baroness of Books said:
And her brooch is nothing to sneeze at, either! :lol: It's not just the Briitish monarchy that has the fabulous jewels.

I agree that the tiara is spectacular, but the brooch has the appearance of being "dusted" with diamonds - pavé set! There are no large stones of quality here - although a lovely piece it cannot compare with the British Royal Jewels. Also I can find evidence of only one tiara - this fringe one.

:previous:
There's also the Kinsky Tiara, here seen worn by Princess Angela on her wedding day in 2000.

v Princess Angela, Kinsky Tiara
thumbnail cropped from larger image and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Liechtenstein Kinsky Tiara.jpg
    Liechtenstein Kinsky Tiara.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,259
I love this tiara, It is my first time seeing it!

Another beautiful piece, but I think I am correct in saying that the Kinsky tiara comes from Princess Marie's family and therefore is not a Liechtenstein piece in the truest sense of the word.

Whatever its origins, the Kinsky tiara is beautiful. The motif is very unusual; almost a sunray effect.

Another beautiful piece, but I think I am correct in saying that the Kinsky tiara comes from Princess Marie's family and therefore is not a Liechtenstein piece in the truest sense of the word.
In that sense the fringe tiara also isn't a Liechtenstein piece, because it originates from the Habsburgs and came to Liechtenstein through AD Elisabeth Amalie.
It somehow seems likely that Princess Sophie will someday also inherit a tiara from her family. So they might get a third one.

Back
Top Bottom