Liechtenstein Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How interesting! The Kinsky tiara belongs to that family, so are you suggesting that the Liechtenstein fringe tiara does not belong to the Prince of Liechtenstein's family?

Last edited by a moderator:
How interesting! The Kinsky tiara belongs to that family, so are you suggesting that the Liechtenstein fringe tiara does not belong to the Prince of Liechtenstein's family?
I just meant that the fringe tiara, like the Kinsky tiara, does not originate from the Liechtenstein family. Both tiaras are now owned by the Liechtensteins, but the fringe was originally made for a Habsburg Archduchess.

It somehow seems likely that Princess Sophie will someday also inherit a tiara from her family. So they might get a third one.
There is also an bandeau tiara with a small lilie in the front which was worn by Princess Nora at her Wedding in 1988. But not seen since. Probably the same one was worn by Princess Marie at her pre-Wedding Gala but i have only seen a pic with bad quality from this ocasion so i'm not sure about this.

There is also an bandeau tiara with a small lilie in the front which was worn by Princess Nora at her Wedding in 1988. But not seen since. Probably the same one was worn by Princess Marie at her pre-Wedding Gala but i have only seen a pic with bad quality from this ocasion so i'm not sure about this.
Here is a wedding picture of Princess Nora:
http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/49206/2444430530105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
The tiara looks like an aigrette, meant to be worn with feathers. The two other tiaras in the family are certainly more beautiful. Is anything known about it's origin?

Forgive my ignorance, is P nora the sister of the present Grand Duc

Princess Karoline von und zu Liechtenstein,born Countess von Ledebur-Wicheln wearing a tiara,together with her daughter Barbara:

Barb.jpg

And one of daughters in law wearing the same tiara:

Liech.jpg

Princess Karoline von und zu Liechtenstein, born Countess von Ledebur-Wicheln wearing a tiara, together with her daughter Barbara...
Princess Barbara is wearing Queen Olga of Greece's Boucheron diamond tiara, made in 1907 [thumbnail 1].
Princess Karoline is wearing a bandeau tiara that has very similar elements to the anthemions which make up the Countess of Wessex's wedding tiara. [thumbnail 2]
The wedding may be that of Prince Eugen von und zu Liechtenstein and Countess Maria Theresia von Goëss in 1968. The bride's tiara is likely to belong to the Goëss family or that of her mother, a Countess Kottulinsky. [thumbnail 3]
Princess Nora's wedding tiara, 1988, provenance unknown. [Attached Images 4]

And one of daughters in law wearing the same tiara
The same as which tiara?

v thumbnail images have been cropped from much larger photographs and comply with 'fair use' copyright provisions.

Attachments

• Yugoslavia commissioned by Princess Abamalek from Georgia 1907.jpg
    Yugoslavia commissioned by Princess Abamalek from Georgia 1907.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Liechtenstein Princess Karoline unk tiara.jpg
    Liechtenstein Princess Karoline unk tiara.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,519
  • von Goëss Countess Maria Theresia, Princxess Eugen of Liechtenstein 1968.jpg
    von Goëss Countess Maria Theresia, Princxess Eugen of Liechtenstein 1968.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,391
  • Princess Nora 1988.jpg
    Princess Nora 1988.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 3,747
Last edited:
Thought that Princess Karoline and her daughter in law are wearing the same tiara...
I thought the same. The tiara looks a bit different because of the light. But the elements and the outline are so similar that I think it's the same piece.

Another beautiful piece, but I think I am correct in saying that the Kinsky tiara comes from Princess Marie's family and therefore is not a Liechtenstein piece in the truest sense of the word.

Don't know about the trust,but it seems that the tiara indeed belonged to the Kinsky family...Don't know if it was a loan or the property of Princess Marie,but here is a picture of Princess Mathilde Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau,born Baroness von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen wearing this tiara:

MathKins.jpg

The reason why I asked if it was a loan or the property of Marie herself is that Mathilde was Marie's aunt by marriage and was the wife of the Prince Kinsky...and Marie is just one of 14 male-line nephews and nieces Prince Kinsky had,not to mention that he had 6 children of his own...

Mathilde is also first cousin of Gosta von Amsberg,mother of Prince Claus of the Netherlands,which makes the late Prince Ulrich Kinsky being second cousin to Prince Claus...In addition to that,his son,present Fürst Karl Kinsky who lives in Argentina is third cousin to Willem,Prince of Orange and future King of the Netherlnads who married an Argentinian lady Maxima...

Last edited:
That's seems taller than the average fringe tiara, unless my eyes are deceiving me. I'm not too much a fan of fringes, since they remind me of picket fences albeit jeweled ones! But it is indeed breathtaking.

That's seems taller than the average fringe tiara, unless my eyes are deceiving me. I'm not too much a fan of fringes, since they remind me of picket fences albeit jeweled ones! But it is indeed breathtaking.
Your eyes are perfectly good: that is a whopper of a fringe:flowers:! I just wish that there were more pics of the different ladies wearing it over the generations. If only I could have a sneak peek into some of ther personal photo albums :D;).

v Hereditary Princess Sophie
wedding of Crown Princess Victoria, Stockholm, June 2010
-thumbnail represents less then 20% of the original image-

Attachments

• Habsburg Fringe Princess Sophie 2010.jpg
    Habsburg Fringe Princess Sophie 2010.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,053
Its certainly one of the grandest pieces in the Princely Family jewel chest and I have seen Hereditary Princess Sophie wearing it at royal events.

I like this tiara. Lovely and elegant like you say IloveCP. I love to have a family wedding tiara. Nice custom.

Luxarazzi's currently holding The Liechtenstein Tiara Championship and one of the tiaras in the race is "Princess Marie's Wedding Gift Tiara" and I suppose it was a wedding present to the current Princess. The picture they've given shows a necklace (a rivière or a simple hoop necklace) that probably converts into a small tiara, but I've not seen something like that worn by the current Princess or other family members. The only tiara of similar size I know of in the Princely collection is the one Princess Marie wore at her pre-wedding, but its design looks slightly different and it has a small spike in the center.
Can someone provide more info on the so-called "Princess Marie's Wedding Gift Tiara" and maybe even better pictures?

Link to the website: Luxarazzi: The Liechtenstein Tiara Championship

Thanks in advance!

Luxarazzi's currently holding The Liechtenstein Tiara Championship and one of the tiaras in the race is "Princess Marie's Wedding Gift Tiara" and I suppose it was a wedding present to the current Princess. The picture they've given shows a necklace (a rivière or a simple hoop necklace) that probably converts into a small tiara, but I've not seen something like that worn by the current Princess or other family members. The only tiara of similar size I know of in the Princely collection is the one Princess Marie wore at her pre-wedding, but its design looks slightly different and it has a small spike in the center.
Can someone provide more info on the so-called "Princess Marie's Wedding Gift Tiara" and maybe even better pictures?

Link to the website: Luxarazzi: The Liechtenstein Tiara Championship

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a good pic of Princess Marie at her pre-Wedding Gala? I have a small pic from a Gala held in the Inner Court of the Castle before the Wedding and it looks like she is wearing a diamond bandeau.

Last edited:
Any pic of that gala would be great.

I have never seen it.

Do you have a good pic of Princess Marie at her pre-Wedding Gala? I have a small pic from a Gala held in the Inner Court of the Castle before the Wedding and it looks like she is wearing a diamond bandeau.
https://postimg.org/image/8xk9wq1nt/
I don't know if this pic is from the pre-wedding, and it doesn't show the tiara clearly. But it's definitely neither the fringe nor the Kinsky tiara.

This is the photo i have. I think it could be the diamond bandeau but it's hard to tell

Liechtenstein pre Wedding 1967_zpsgfiqps2g.jpg Photo by royal-europe | Photobucket
I think it's the same tiara and, judging by the hairstyle, the same event as in the pic I posted. Who knows where the name 'wedding gift tiara' comes from? Maybe someone saw it on the pre-wedding pic and assumed that it must have been a wedding gift? There might be another story behind it, but that's hard to say.

This is the same event and tiara that I have in my files. My picture, although bigger and in colour, is a blurry scan and doesn't show much details, so posting it wouldn't give us more clues about design.
You can see in the pictures that Tilia C. and Stefan posted the little spike in the center of the tiara, which is missing in the photo of Luxarazzi of the jewel as necklace (assuming it's the same one).

Thanks for posting this link, Prince or Preslav. And thanks to Luxarazzi for posting these details! :flowers:

So we are probably looking for a sapphire necklace/bandeau. After looking at the screenshot of the wedding present necklace, I'm not certain if there is a pointy thing in the centre or not. It's difficult to see due to the perspective, but I wouldn't rule out that it might be the same jewel.

Yes, the quality and the angle of the photo don't really show much detail on the necklace, but untill Luxarazzi's discovery we didn't know anything about the bandeau, so it's better than nothing :)
On another note, have you noticed that most of the coloured stones in the Princely collection are sapphires? Off the top of me head, there's the impressive demi-parure from Princess Gina, this necklace/bandeau and the sapphire jewels worn by the Hereditary Princess (modern earrings and antique necklace) . I can't think of any rubies, emeralds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom