Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She wore a small diamond tiara (i had never seen it before this appearance) to the St Petersburg ball at the Park Lane hotel London in February 2009 - there was a picture in Majesty magagazine nut so far i have been unable to locate one on the internet

:previous:
Assuming it's the real deal, that ring is a whopping cabochon emerald. :ohmy:

It certainly looks real! It may be from another emerald piece given to her by The Duchess as a gift, or left to her in the will. Princess Michael inherited some additional pieces in 1986.

At least, regardless of people's personal feelings about Prince and Princess Michael, they have managed to hold onto the family pieces entrusted to them by Princess Marina, as has Princess Alexandra.

Fair point, and credit to Prince and Princess Michael for holding on to the jewels.

Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor at the ball celebrating the wedding of Erbprinz Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Coburg, May 2009.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vn2jxe.jpg

This is the second tiara she has worn this year - I remember that was actually a necklace that she wore long before the couple got engaged so it is nice to see that it be converted into a tiara

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6366/dsc08721j.jpg interesting closeup of the tiara

source the Royal Jewels of the World Message board posted by member Stig who took the photo and provided the closeup

I have researched in vain...do we know if that her is her tiara, a family one, on loan? I think it is quite stunning..and looks to be an antique.

Don't like the outfit, the tiara is nice but not the way Paola wore it. I think she needs some lessons from Princess Michael in how to wear Tiara's. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
At wedding of her son Frederick Princess Marie Christine was wearing wonderful jewels: necklance (pearls, diamond and saphires), earings and bracelet (diamond & saphire). Do you know anything about their provenance? I know that she wore this earings & necklance many times. Bracelet seems to be somethiong new. Maybe it is the piece MC inherited from Duchess of Windsor?

I wanted to comment on that wonderful pearl/sapphire set Marie Christine was wearing,too,Andrew24.Each piece is a masterpiece,especially that gorgeous necklace.I can't answer your question,though.

Have you seen she wore the same necklace with 2 different earrings ?

Have you seen she wore the same necklace with 2 different earrings ?

Really?When?Yesterday at the wedding?
Ok,I just checked the recent pics and found out that her earrings at the wedding were identical.
I guess you meant MC has 2 different pairs of earrings to match this particular necklace.
Correct me if I didn't get this straight.

Princess Michael's jewels are WONDERFUL. I know we Americans use this phrase too much but... the sapphire and pearl necklace is AMAZING! She really understands her look. She is one of the most elegant ladies I think. I would love to get a serious peek :eek: in her jewel box!!:D

Marie-Christine inherited the sapphire-earrings through her husband from Princess Marina. Here's a picture of Princess Marina wearing them:

http://i27.tinypic.com/fwrf45.jpg

I agree, the pearl necklace was simply amazing too. :flowers:

I read here that the earrings were inherited from Princess Marina, but I discovered a Van Cleef and Arpels's bracelet which The Duchess of Windsor received from The Duke of Windsor for here wedding, which was about in the same colourshade as the necklace, so perhaps there is from Wallis?

I'm not sure, but it is said that Princess Michael indeed owns some jewelry of the late Duchess of Windsor. For example I've seen a brooch of rubies on MC which once belonged to Wallis.

I may say that this is one of the most beautiful necklaces I have ever seen.
Looks like a royal brilliant!

Any close ups of Sophie's pearl tiara and its provenance?Anybody worn it before?

I can't remember that I ever saw this tiara on one of the Kent-woman before. And there was no good close up of the tiara til now.

Sophie's tiara didn't really look like serious jewllery to me. I guess it was just an ordinary bridal ornament like anyone would buy with their wedding dress. What a pity, I had so much hoped she would borrow one of the Kent tiaras.

The pearl and sapphire necklace and earrings that Princess Michael wore at Lord Frederick's wedding were stunning. WOW!!! The necklace drapes her neck perfectly- you can tell she built her evening gown around the jewelry. Her hair and make-up compliment things even further. She is one classy princess- and those eyes! Clearly, This is how a royal should look!

Auction

Well, apparently the Kents have done it again--decided to have an auction, that is. Some jewels will be put on the block--the press release does not say which, though. Christie's is doing the sale.

With their money problems, I hope Princess Michael's diamants which were not saled by Christies , are still real ones and no glasstones

Well, apparently the Kents have done it again--decided to have an auction, that is. Some jewels will be put on the block--the press release does not say which, though. Christie's is doing the sale.
I don't know why, but I'm a bit disturbed by this. I guess if you need the money.....I wonder if there will be any of the gifts she recieved from the Duchess of Windsor. Maybe she'll just sell some things she doesn't like. She is known for her incredible taste in jewels. Oh well...:ermm::ermm:Its not life threatening!!:cool:

The news of the auction was released over a week ago:

Kents to sell royal treasures | Mail Online

quotes (my bolding in 1st and 3rd paras):

The items, which will be sold by Christie's in November, were the property of the Prince's mother, Marina Duchess of Kent, who died in 1968. Prince Michael, his older brother, the Duke of Kent, and his sister Princess Alexandra have jointly decided to sell the remaining heirlooms they inherited from their late mother's estate.

Although Princess Marina disposed of much of her effects in 1947, a few years after her husband's wartime death, she left what remained to her three children.

...the sale will include valuable silverware, paintings, furniture, tapestries and various works of art. Lots are expected to raise between £250 and £100,000 each.

Details of the sale have still to be unveiled by Christie's, who three years ago also handled the Princess Margaret auction and the sale of the late Duke of Gloucester's effects.

I am just flabbergasted that they will be selling items such as the chair that the Duke sat upon during this brother's coronation, and sentimental family pieces. I think though, that I will defend Prince and Princess Michael--they've never put items up for auction. I'm willing to wager that it's the current duke, again, and he has pretty much just asked and asked and finally his siblings agreed rather than see him sell more important items.

http://www.christies.com/presscenter/pdf/09212009/113656.pdf

The Kents are not well-off and never have been. Prince George spent lavishly and Marina was not from a wealthy family (Greece) with little in the way of a dowry, although she certainly had some significant jewels from her mother, Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna. With George's early death, Marina experienced financial problems for years afterwards.

I'm sure the intent is to provide their children and grandchildren with something more substantial. None are active members of the royal family and have private careers anyway.

I don't know why, but I'm a bit disturbed by this. I guess if you need the money.....I wonder if there will be any of the gifts she recieved from the Duchess of Windsor. Maybe she'll just sell some things she doesn't like. She is known for her incredible taste in jewels. Oh well...:ermm::ermm:Its not life threatening!!:cool:

If Prince and Princess Michael of Kent need substantial money (and I suspect they do), she would be smart to put ALL of the jewels she received from The Duchess of Windsor in the auction. There's real money to be made on those pieces.

The way their going she'll (Princess Michael) have to get used to paste...

Back
Top Bottom