Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember the accusation of Princess Michael's jewels being paste appeared only once in the book "Theirs is the Kingdom" in 1987 and was shot down in flames by the Kent's themselves who angrily put out a statement saying that all the jewels belonging to Prince Michael are in trust for his children so the Princess couldn't sell them even if she wanted to as they are, officially, not her property to dispense with.

That jewels will be Lady Gabriella's jewels one day?
Lady Gabriella is so stunning and beautiful she should be a Princess :p she deserve the jewels

After all thats been said, Queen Mary was a very generous mother in Law in deed, if you think of all the jewells that the Duchess of Kent, Gloucestour, Princess Michael, the Queens mother, (before becoming queen) received from her!
Well, according to a special I saw, Mary collected an OBSCENE amount of jewelry. She layered before it was hip!

ldmemail said:
Sorry to contradict but the Pearl & Diamond Diadem was an heirloom from Queen Mary.

No, it wasn't. Leslie Fields states in her book it was a wedding gift from Katharine's parents. The Cambridge sapphire parure was from Queen Mary to Princess Marina who left it to The Duke after her death.

has the kent children ever worn any major jewlery from the kent jewlery box and how big his this jewlery box when we talk about historicle items

james said:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000312146-008.jpg?size=67&uid={1714cdf5-735c-4908-aa73-e322af09f90e}

The Duchess of Kent in her Pearl and Diamond fringe tiara, which was a wedding gift from her parents, pearl and diamond drop earrings, choker and bracelet.

There are to 2 Theories about this tiara. the one says it was the wedding Present from the parents of the present Duchess the other that after the sold the Cambridge Sapphire Tiara the small Tiara which was worn by the present Duchess on her Wedding day was adapted to make it bigger.

Josefine said:
has the kent children ever worn any major jewlery from the kent jewlery box and how big his this jewlery box when we talk about historicle items

Lady Helen Windsor (the Duke of Kent's daughter) wore the Kent fringe tiara for her wedding.

Its a shame that most of the Kent jewels will never be seen in public.

Other than Princess Michael of Kent who wears some of the jewelery, the Duchess is definitely low profile. And when the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews inheirt the Dukedom and with the royal family getting smaller...chances are we won't see hardly anything. I am sure their are some masterpieces hidden away.

branchg said:
No, it wasn't. Leslie Fields states in her book it was a wedding gift from Katharine's parents. The Cambridge sapphire parure was from Queen Mary to Princess Marina who left it to The Duke after her death.

Research it as I did - Princess Alexandra wore the same tiara in Australia before the Kent's marriage ! The Duchess' late parents would not have been in a position to give such a wedding gift. Also the Cambridge Sapphires were a wedding gift from Queen Mary - not an inheritance.

Last edited:
Weddding gift to whom? The present Duke and duchess, or Princess Marina?

Last edited by a moderator:
auntie said:
Weddding gift to whom? The present Duke and duchess, or Princess Marina?

Wedding gift to Princess Marina - Queen MAry's Goddaughter.

Sorry to go of the topic, but Princess Marina never really smiled she just had a sideways smirk

I think it was cute. Some of the Beaton photographs of her are simply stunning and moving.

There are some interesting stories from Cecil Beaton about how she would arrive with full regalia--orders, tiaras, brooches, the whole deal--in a basket.

Warren,
Beautiful picture of Princess Marina dripping in diamonds! I would love to have just one or two of those large diamonds--I can't imagine wearing all of them! :wub:
Anyway, I just got the Leslie Field book about HM The Queen's Jewels (the one with the beautiful Cambridge Emerald Necklace with the diamond drop that QM wore with the Durbar Tiara) and it mentions the girandole (I spelled it wrong) earrings that Princess Marina left to the present duchess and how it is not unusual for the diamonds to just fall off and the duchess has to walk around looking for them! Are these those earrings?

jcbcode99 said:
... and it mentions the girandole earrings that Princess Marina left to the present duchess and how it is not unusual for the diamonds to just fall off and the duchess has to walk around looking for them!
Wouldn't it be easier to have the jeweller tighten the settings?

You know, Warren, that's what I did with a pair diamond studs (nothing like Queen Victoria's!) when they were loose--but then again, what do I know? I'm just a mere common American!

I don't think they have access to a court jeweller standing by (as would HM) or think to take it to a jewelry shop before an event. I think the jewels probably sit in a safe vault or bank safety deposit somewhere and are only accessed or thought about when they're needed.

Is it just me or did Princess Alexandra get relatively little from her mother? It seems like Princess Michael has all the major pieces.
That being said, I really just love Princess Alexandra's tiara that is interchangeable with turquoises and pearls. It is so lovely, and really suits her.

I think the Greek tradition is that the sons get the majority of the inheritance.

It does seem that Prince Michael inherited more jewels from Princess Marina than the Duke of Kent, doesn't it?

It does seem that Prince Michael inherited more jewels from Princess Marina than the Duke of Kent, doesn't it?
No, the present duchess Kate recieved the lion's share, but Marie Christine is just more ostentatious and likes to flaunt what she has. Also the major Kent saphire parure was sold.

Only the original tiara was sold. The rest of the parue still remains with the Duchess of Kent.

... but Marie Christine is just more ostentatious and likes to flaunt what she has.
She likes to wear her jewels? Good on her, and lucky us jewels-watchers! :)

I don't know--I really think that Prince Michael got a little bit more--Princess Michael wears two substantial tiaras and a riviere. The Duchess has that reworked Cambridge tiara, and that fringey-comb thing. It may be even, I don't know, but in terms of tiaras--the current Duke was duped!

It may be even, I don't know, but in terms of tiaras--the current Duke was duped!

Yes but at least Pncss Michael has a little panache & style. The Duchess doesn't wear the big pieces and look what she did to the sapphires! Had Pncess Marina been able to see into the future she would have left ALL the jewels to Prince Michael.

I never understood the way the Duchess of Kent re-set the Sapphires, they were stunning when Marina had them but just horrible the new way. Also the sapphire tiara was beautiful but not that thing the Duchess had made.

Back
Top Bottom