Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They both look marvelous except Princess Michael tiara seems a little crooked. I love her necklace too and the way it goes with her pink top perfectly

I thought they both looked stunning in their finery at the banquet PA is looking amazing recently PM is always so glamorous and I too wonder why she has never received personal notice from HM

Why was Princess Michael not glamorous at her Daughter's Wedding ?

Have we seen the necklace before or is it a new design?

The diamond pendant is actually a brooch inherited from Queen Mary. It belonged to Tsar Nicholas II's mother, Empress Maria, and the Princess alternates between wearing it as a brooch or pendant. Her diamond earrings look new though.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if there is/was a book on the Kent Jewels? Does anyone know if that the case. Would love to see it before they are lost to history. Same with the Gloucester jewels. During the reign of Charles and the advancing age of the current Gloucesters and Kents, will we see the Kent jewels again?

Princess Alexandra looks absolutely lovely.

Wonderful to see Princess Alexandra’s diamond and pearl brooch (a gift from her Godmother, the late Queen Mother) again ! I was afraid that she had sold it.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if there is/was a book on the Kent Jewels? Does anyone know if that the case. Would love to see it before they are lost to history. Same with the Gloucester jewels. During the reign of Charles and the advancing age of the current Gloucesters and Kents, will we see the Kent jewels again?

The Kents and the Gloucesters will become just another (non-royal) ducal house in the peerage of the United Kingdom when the current generation of grandchildren of King George V passes away. They will keep some (maybe most ?) of their jewels and sell some other items. but the opportunities to wear them will be the same as other ducal families have nowadays, which are very limited. I don't think any of the Duke of Kent's or the Duke of Gloucester's children or grandchildren will be normally invited to state dinners when Charles or even more so William are on the throne.

Wonderful to see Princess Alexandra’s diamond and pearl brooch (a gift from her Godmother, the late Queen Mother) again ! I was afraid that she had sold it.

Yes, that's a stunning brooch. Never mind the diamond's, those pearls must be worth a fortune.

ldmemail, do you have more information about the brooch? D you know on what occasion/when it was presented to Princess Alexandra by Queen Elizabeth?

It was nice to see Princess Michael of Kent wearing the Kent Festoon Tiara.

The diamond pendant is actually a brooch inherited from Queen Mary. It belonged to Tsar Nicholas II's mother, Empress Maria, and the Princess alternates between wearing it as a brooch or pendant. Her diamond earrings look new though.
Thanks for the information

Thank you for the answer. :)

Thank you, ldmemail. Makes sense that it was a christening present, Queen Elizabeth being her godmother.

It's certainly a beautiful brooch and I was a thrilled to see it again. I believe the last time it was pictured on Princess Alexandra was back in 2007 at the reception for the Corps Diplomatique.

Is it still in the Kent jewel chest?

As far as I know, the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara is still with Katharine, Duchess of Kent. But it's been away from the public eye since her early retirement. The other Kent Fringe Tiara, The Kent City of London Fringe is always seen being worn by Princess Michael of Kent. Recently worn by her daughter Lady Gabriella on her wedding.

If I am not mistaken, there are only 2 tiaras left in the main Kent branch - the altered Aquamarine tiara and this one.... not a lot given that the younger Kents (Pr. Michael & family) have the Kokoshnik and the pearl festoon tiara.
Any insights?

If I am not mistaken, there are only 2 tiaras left in the main Kent branch - the altered Aquamarine tiara and this one.... not a lot given that the younger Kents (Pr. Michael & family) have the Kokoshnik and the pearl festoon tiara.
Any insights?

Here is a picture of the Aqua tiara:

https://www.tiara-mania.com/2014/10/kent-aquamarine-tiara.html

...and I have to correct myself. The tiara was sold , which means only 1 tiara left in the main Kent branch????

The once plentiful Kent Jewel chest is seriously being depleted by selling them off ,is the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara still in the family?

The once plentiful Kent Jewel chest is seriously being depleted by selling them off ,is the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara still in the family?

Yes the Duke of Kent still has the Pearl Tiara and the Cambridge Sapphire reworked tiara.

The Duchess of Kent always had amazing tiara-hair. Too bad they have sold most of the jewels. Next out is the Gloucesters. I believe most of it will be sold off.
Why is the Duchess of Kent not attending anything? Can’t say I have seen her.

The Duchess of Kent always had amazing tiara-hair. Too bad they have sold most of the jewels. Next out is the Gloucesters. I believe most of it will be sold off.
Why is the Duchess of Kent not attending anything? Can’t say I have seen her.

The Duchess of Kent has a frail health and is for decades battling a chronic fatigue. She is 86 years old and has already withdrawn largely from royal duties for more than 20 years.

Often royal jewels are sold to overcome succession taxes and for division of properties between heirs. The Duke and his two siblings had to pay taxes after their mother's passing. The Duke and Duchess themselves have four children and eleven grandchildren. There you go: who gets what?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom