Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew Morton said this about Princess Michael selling diamonds in a book he wrote in the late 80's.He never actually said he knew it as a fact but was a rumour. Kensington Palace denied it saying the property is Prince Michael's not his wife's and was his children's inheritance so had not and would not be sold. I also don't believe for one minute that Pm would attend state banquet's etc wearing fake jewels, I imagine she'd rather wear none at all.

It is what I thought also but did not dare to write it. Thanks !
Lady Windisor received a brand new very small tiara and not a loan !

Lady Windsor is title of Caroline Anne Windsor-Clive. She is only living Lady Windsor.

But I must say I can see some differents in design...so all is possible

Princess Marina's parents gave her a large double looped diamond bow brooch as a wedding gift. Is the brooch still a part of the Kent Jewels?

Princess Marina's parents gave her a large double looped diamond bow brooch as a wedding gift. Is the brooch still a part of the Kent Jewels?

No, it passed from the family many years ago. It was owned for decades by Mrs. Jayne Wrightsman and she sold it at auction a couple of years ago.

:previous: Indeed, here it is with the other jewels that Jane owned that were auctioned.

brooch ||| sotheby's n08925lot6ftbten

Jane and her husband were huge art collectors, who donated a huge amount of money and major art pieces to the Metropolitan museum of art.

It would be very interestin if so but I doubt she was wearing Gloucester's turquoises Prince of Preslav. It was rather necklace she used to worn during her younger years with diamonds, emeralds and rubies.

It's Princess Alexandra's necklace, not a Gloucester necklace. The Kent and Gloucester women don't borrow jewels between the families.

Can somebody explain to me why the Kents seem to have all this financial issues (sold of houses and jewelry) while the Gloucesters seem to have been able to keep their things together? As 3rd and 4th son of a king I would assume they have received their faire and equal share of inheritance.

The Duke of Gloucester lost his brother. He is the own owner of the Jewels.
He has 3 Children , what will happen later ???

Can somebody explain to me why the Kents seem to have all this financial issues (sold of houses and jewelry) while the Gloucesters seem to have been able to keep their things together? As 3rd and 4th son of a king I would assume they have received their faire and equal share of inheritance.

A couple of reasons likely. One, The Duke of Gloucester was the only heir to his parent's fortune (his brother died before his parents died). While the Duke of Kent inherited the title, his brother and sister would have inherited money as well and jewels. The different branches have had to make choices about the money that they have kept or sold. The Kents do have jewels left, but have sold some over the years.

The Gloucesters have maintained their home because they lease it out. The money they make for leasing it out, pays for the upkeep of the home, while they live at Kensington instead.

The Duke of Gloucester lost his brother. He is the own owner of the Jewels.
He has 3 Children , what will happen later ???

Like the aristocratic families, hopefully the Gloucesters have considered death taxes and such. That is one of the main reasons some of the families have had to sell off things, is because the death taxes. If the Gloucesters are thinking ahead, they will likely have placed the majority of their estate in a trust, that will be inherited by their eldest son and heir. Of course their younger children will receive money and likely some personal jewels too.

Whether they choose to keep Barnwell and continue leasing it out, or sell it since no one in the family has lived there in decades, we will see.

Also, when Prince George Duke of Kent died suddenly in 1942, his wife Marina was left practically impoverished. When she died in the 60's, she left a very, very small estate besides her jewelry.

In addition, Marina was of the firm opinion that when a woman marries, her husband and his family provide her with jewelry, not the bride's family. That's why Alexandra has no Kent jewels of importance.

Last edited:
Its sad to see so many of Princess Marina's impressive jewels sold off and no longer in royal hands.

Also, when Prince George Duke of Kent died suddenly in 1942, his wife Marina was left practically impoverished. When she died in the 60's, she left a very, very small estate besides her jewelry.
At the time Prince George died, there was no provision made in the Civil List for widows of George VI's brothers and the money died with him. Princess Marina was extremely short of funds and depended on relatives to keep up appearances. I believe, but have no sources handy, that she finally received a small amount in The Queen's Civil list in 1952, but that was ten years later.

Yes, it wasn't until after the war that Marina was put on the civil list. She got by selling some of her husband's art collection until then to fund her life.

Controversy seems to have been uncovered (telegraph so???) that Churchill came against opposition to give her an annuity because the royals worried they would come under scrutiny about taxes on their money.

Why the Palace thwarted Churchill's attempt to lift duchess out of 'poverty' - Telegraph

Have to wonder how much art, and not just jewels, were lost during this.

Did Princess Marina inherit the Latticework Kokosnik from her mother, Princess Elena of Greece? If Yes, did the Latticework Kokosnik remain part of the Kent Jewels?

Yes, it wasn't until after the war that Marina was put on the civil list. She got by selling some of her husband's art collection until then to fund her life.

Controversy seems to have been uncovered (telegraph so???) that Churchill came against opposition to give her an annuity because the royals worried they would come under scrutiny about taxes on their money.

Why the Palace thwarted Churchill's attempt to lift duchess out of 'poverty' - Telegraph

Have to wonder how much art, and not just jewels, were lost during this.
It is quite unfortunate that Princes Marina was sentenced to poverty. At the same time, ordinary people did not have art collections to live off.

Last edited:
Did Princess Marina inherit the Latticework Kokosnik from her mother, Princess Elena of Greece? If Yes, did the Latticework Kokosnik remain part of the Kent Jewels?

No. It has only ever been seen in the portraits of Elena when she was young, in her Russian court dress. Some question of what it actually was made of, if actually a tiara or simply cloth and backing to it which was common. I have seen on some boards that speculation Elena's daughter Olga wore it on her wedding day. But from the pictures, the veil hides most of the tiara she is wearing, it doesn't seem Olga did. Olga did inherit her mother's diamond kokoshnik tiara, it was her wedding gift.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/n...f-yugoslavia-married-olga-picture-id105213214

Katharine, Duchess of Kent had a particular fondness for pearls and chokers. They are one of her trademark pieces of jewellery.

Wow imagine how much that would fetch at auction as there is a picture of Victoria actually wearing it. Heiresses and oligarchs would pay through the nose to own something like this even if it is light on the jewel front.

I don't believe we've had a Lady Gabriella tiara wearing event yet?

Do we know what the engagement ring looks like?
Pictures?

THX

I don't believe we've had a Lady Gabriella tiara wearing event yet?

She attended the State banquet for the King of Spain as she is fluent in Spanish and lived and worked there for a while but she didn't wear a tiara to that event even though she could have. Weddings are different though and I too am hoping for the diamond fringe.

I could be wrong, but except for a princess who is the daughter of a monarch, Anne for example, tiaras are not worn until after marriage.

I could be wrong, but except for a princess who is the daughter of a monarch, Anne for example, tiaras are not worn until after marriage.
Princess Alexandra wore tiaras before her marriage - and her mother Princess Marina was a stickler for protocol.

Back
Top Bottom