Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would be best to buy it and then at some point down the line have it delivered to Her Majesty The Queen. Just as a gift.
I don't get why it should be given to the Queen? This aquamarine tiara has no royal connections that we know of. There is no sign that it ever belonged to Queen Mary or any other of the Queen's ancestors. The sale of this tiara is no loss to the Queen, imo, it’s just a loss to the Duchess of Kent and her children.

I don't get why it should be given to the Queen? This aquamarine tiara has no royal connections that we know of. There is no sign that it ever belonged to Queen Mary or any other of the Queen's ancestors. The sale of this tiara is no loss to the Queen, imo, it’s just a loss to the Duchess of Kent and her children.

True but I just think some of the stuff that the royals lost due to having to sell it, should be returned to the royal family. Like some of Queen Alexandra's jewels. I just think it's a thoughtful thing to do.

True but I just think some of the stuff that the royals lost due to having to sell it, should be returned to the royal family. Like some of Queen Alexandra's jewels. I just think it's a thoughtful thing to do.
Oh, I agree with "some of the stuff":flowers:. Like the Cambridge sapphire tiara which actually had been owned by Queen Mary at one point and was sold by the Kents. That was an important royal jewel, imo. And I'm still disappointed that it's gone for good.

This aquamarine tiara wasn't important in a royal context.

It is very sad when the junior branches of a royal dynasty have to sell their jewelry to support themselves.

Actually, the reason the jewelry has been sold is because they belonged to people who had no concept of money in the current age. Most of the jewels sales were done to pay death taxes, for which the decedents did not prepare their heirs.

Most of the people who sold the jewels have jobs.

I think it would be best to buy it and then at some point down the line have it delivered to Her Majesty The Queen. Just as a gift.

Unlikely. It hardly has a royal provenance of significance.

The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra sold some of their Kent jewels.
Prince Michael who seems to have less money, kept hers among them 2 tiaras, the one PM wore for her Birthday, Tilia posted and the huge Fringe tiara.

I think that was probably because Alexandra has her own jewels and her own tiara and The Duchess of Kent doesn't carry out many if any official duties nowadays so she doesn't need a lot of tiara's. Princess Michael still attends dinners and other events where a tiara might be used.

The Pearl and Diamond Festoon Tiara seems to be a firm favourite of Marie Christine's.

True she hasn't worn the fringe tiara for ages. Would love to see her wearing it again.

True she hasn't worn the fringe tiara for ages. Would love to see her wearing it again.

I also like the Kent Fringe Tiara,Marie Christine wears it well,however I prefer it in the original form and not with the string of diamonds on it.

MC is still regullary wear the fringe diamond tiara, f.ex.at state banquet for President Obama.

Princess MC wore a huge necklace for her Son Lord Frederick's Wedding.

Where did she found the diamonds ?

They don't have to support themselves by selling jewels.
Her books are they so succesful and the Prince's business with Russia ?

The last time I saw her wearing the fringe was at the SV from the US in 2011. She was only pictured when arriving in the car.
http://s1.postimg.org/pcwrvvean/Kent_fringe_SV_USA.jpg
Maybe she wears it more often, but we rarely get pictures?

I'm glad that she wore it again without the diamond riviere. That composition wasn't a success, imo.

Princess MC wore a huge necklace for her Son Lord Frederick's Wedding.

Where did she found the diamonds ?

They don't have to support themselves by selling jewels.
Her books are they so succesful and the Prince's business with Russia ?

Where the couple have got their money from has always been an intriguing question. The Princess' books are moderately successful I would say but nowhere near enough to keep them in the style to which they are accustomed. They have, along with the Prince's brother and sister, sold off some of the family's unused/unneeded possessions but I understand this was in part to pay of tax owed on the estate their parents left.
The Prince was reported to have received £320,000 from an exiled Russian oligarch, and given the Prince's links to Russia and the large number of very wealthy Russians living in London I'm sure this is not the only payment from such sources.
They sold their country home in 2006 around the same time they started having to pay £120,000 a year for their Kensington Palace apartment.
In regards to her jewels, I'm sure the Princess has enough to keep her looking sparkly without stopping her selling off a few here and there to make money when needed. Also i'm sure she borrows or is given jewels to wear every now and then.

To me, the necklace looks like a fringe

, possibly the tiara used now by Princess Michael

The fringe tiara worn by Princess Michael is, to my knowledge, not convertible.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The fringe tiara (pearl and diamond) worn by Katherine has never been seen AFAIK as a necklace so not sure if convertible. The other Kent fringe, the city of London fringe which was a wedding gift to Marina and now worn by Princess Michael, cannot be worn as a necklace.

The fringe tiara (pearl and diamond) worn by Katherine has never been seen AFAIK as a necklace so not sure if convertible. The other Kent fringe, the city of London fringe which was a wedding gift to Marina and now worn by Princess Michael, cannot be worn as a necklace.
The pearl tiara which you mean was made with the diamonds from the bandeau tiara that the Duchess wears on that picture in question. So it can't be the same she wears as a necklace. Besides I agree that it has never been seen as a necklace and probably is not convertible.

Back
Top Bottom