Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad you enjoyed the articles. :)

Unfortunately, I think it is more or less inevitable most of the jewels will be sold by the next generation of Gloucesters and Kents: apart from not needing them any more (as non-working members of the Royal Family there will be very few occasions when they might have the chance to don grand jewellery), there is also the inheritance tax - the main reason most of the jewels get sold in the first place.

My guess is that a great deal of the jewels will go back to The Queen. I think since the minor royals won't be wearing the jewels in the future, we might see some of them used by Camilla, Catherine and Sophie.

With few exceptions, all those jewels are the personal possessions of individual members of the Kent family: they will not go back to the "main" line unless the Queen buys them, which is unlikely since she already has an immense collection at her disposal.

Oh okay, I thought those were jewels The Queen lent to the Kents. Then I guess if The Queen don't want to see some pieces go to auction, she may grab some things. Sad to think the stuff could be sold at some point. The monor royals don't attend official regalia events.

Great photo's and information above,I never realized that Princess Alexandra only has the use of 1 tiara,seems unfair that her mother left the bulk of her jewels to her 2 sons.

Marina believed it was the husbands responsibility to provide his wife with jewels.

I have found this photograph online - it seems to show the late Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent wearing 2 Sapphire brooches !!! The Queen Mother it seems had one of them, I guess by inheritance!

Attachments

• royal forums.jpg
    royal forums.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 444
Here is a cropped photograph of the late Queen Mother wearing one of the brooches.

Attachments

• royal forumsa.jpg
    royal forumsa.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 786
It is wrong to call it an Ogilvy Tiara, it is the tiara belonging to HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent, the hon Lady Ogilvy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is wrong to call it an Ogilvy Tiara, it is the tiara belonging to HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent, the hon Lady Ogilvy.

And as her married name is Ogilvy, it's completely appropriate to call it that, since its an individually owned tiara with no other provenance that we're aware of.

And as her married name is Ogilvy, it's completely appropriate to call it that, since its an individually owned tiara with no other provenance that we're aware of.

Oh but we are aware of the provenance, the tiara was created from a circlet owned by the Princess before her marriage. By calling it the Ogilvy Tiara it implies that it is part of the jewel collection of the Earls of Airlie.

Does anyone know when Princess Alexandra wore this tiara and reading some of the comments does she still own it?

Last edited by a moderator:
The earliest picture I have seen of her wearing the complete tiara was from her pre-wedding ball. The latest pic I’ve seen was a state visit in
2007. But since she is not always photographed at the state banquets, she probably has worn it since then.

It's a pity, that her daughter-in-law Julia Rawlinson didn't wear it at her wedding. Has anybody seen a picture of her daughter's wedding?

The earliest picture I have seen of her wearing the complete tiara was from her pre-wedding ball. The latest pic I’ve seen was a state visit in
2007. But since she is not always photographed at the state banquets, she probably has worn it since then.

It's a pity, that her daughter-in-law Julia Rawlinson didn't wear it at her wedding. Has anybody seen a picture of her daughter's wedding?

Her daughter (Marina) wore a black dress with a red bolero jacket and a black. So no tiara for Marina.

An interesting note on the Kent Festoon tiara

The Kent Pearl Festoon Tiara | A Tiara a Day

I thought it was interesting that the tiara probably had a diamond base that Marie- Christiane replaced with pearls. Any ideas where the diamonds may have been used?

Maybe a diamond necklace. I cant remember if she has one. Ill have to check on that as I love her and am always ready to look for pics of her in her jewels!!

Maybe a diamond necklace. I cant remember if she has one. Ill have to check on that as I love her and am always ready to look for pics of her in her jewels!!

She does have a collet collier, query whether that was assembled by extracting diamonds from the festoon tiara.

Does anyone have pictures of the Earl of St. Andrews wife's jewels? I remember reading a story that she had to pin a necklace in her hair to look like a tiara because she didn't own one. Seems like since her husband should be the next Duke of Kent that she would have at least had one.

An interesting note on the Kent Festoon tiara

The Kent Pearl Festoon Tiara | A Tiara a Day

I thought it was interesting that the tiara probably had a diamond base that Marie- Christiane replaced with pearls. Any ideas where the diamonds may have been used?

I'd never seen Princess Alexandra wearing this tiara so that was a nice surprise.Of late I've always associated it with Princess Michael of Kent & had forgotten its history with the late Princess Marina,Duchess of Kent.

Looks like it doesn't it.
On one hand it's sad for it to leave the family but then again since noone in the family hardly ever attend any royal functions where to use it anymore they could just aswell sell it. Yet another chapter in the ongoing saga of how the "strapped for cash Kent's" sell of yet another heirloom. I'm surprised they have anything left since their garage sale have been going on since the days of princess Marina.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Omg... that is their tiara. :-(

Yes, it is. :(

A shame there wasn't a way for it to somehow end up back in the vaults at BP. Such a pretty tiara too. What a shame.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

A shame there wasn't a way for it to somehow end up back in the vaults at BP. Such a pretty tiara too. What a shame.

I would assume it was offered first to HM (if she wanted to buy it back), prior to putting up for sale. I'm not familiar with the provenance of the Kent aquamarines - but apparently not enough interest to keep in the family. who knows - perhaps HM has purchased back some of the other jewels and then loaned them back to the Kents to use.

Sad as it is that the Kents sell off yet another of the few heirlooms they still have left the real tragedy to me will be the inevitable day when the Gloucesters decide to part with their still intact and considerable jewellery collection. A collection that puts the jewellery collections of several European royal families to shame.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Did this tiara belong to the Duchess of Kent and is it her only one left?

But there is no buying back for something that never came from the RF! The aquamarine tiara was never seen on any other royal lady, it was only ever worn by the Duchess a very few times in the 1980s, afaik, that was after the sale of the Cambridge sapphire tiara. Maybe the Kents had bought the aquamarines as a cheaper replacement for the gorgeous sapphires?

If the Queen didn't buy the Cambridge sapphire tiara which really had a significant royal history, then there is absolutely no reason to buy an historically insignificant aquamarine tiara.

The Duchess of Kent only wore the Aquamarine Tiara twice that I'm aware of and that was quite a while ago. It never belonged to the British Royal Family and Katharine seems to be the first and only wearer of the tiara in the Kent family so this really is not a historical royal tiara. The Kents have already sold the Cambridge Sapphire Tiara and the Pearl & Diamond Circles Bandeau both with royal provenance.

The Duchess of Kent still owns the Pearl & Diamond Fringe Tiara and the Cambridge Sapphire Necklace Tiara that was made out of the necklace from the Cambridge Sapphire Parure after they sold the original tiara.

Princess Alexandra of Kent owns the Ogilvy Tiara with interchangeable pearls, sapphires, and turquoises.

Princess Michael of Kent owns the Kent Fringe Tiara and the Kent Festoon Tiara.

Last edited:
I think it would be best to buy it and then at some point down the line have it delivered to Her Majesty The Queen. Just as a gift.

Back
Top Bottom