Kent Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to hear that.It must be really painful-for any family-to "lose" such significant pieces.

But didn't one of George V sisters (I think it was Princess Victoria) leave some jewelry to the Kents. I thought that the young Prince George, Duke of Kent was her favorite. Or am I confusing the brothers. Maybe it was left to the Duke of Gloucester.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that.It must be really painful-for any family-to "lose" such significant pieces.

It is sad to see significant pieces go, however to be practical these days there is not as much opportunity/occasion to wear such grand jewels, as there was 60 years ago, and therefore no need to own so many. There is also death duty/tax to be paid in the UK, which is a substantial tax, and as with the case of Princess Margaret's estate, some of the jewels that were very much part of her persona, ie the Poltimore tiara, and others that she inherited from Queen Mary, were sold off to pay this tax. :sad:

But didn't one of George V sisters (I think it was Princess Victoria) leave some jewelry to the Kents. I thought that the young Prince George, Duke of Kent was her favorite. Or am I confusing the brothers. Maybe it was left to the Duke of Gloucester.

Princess Victoria left her country home, Coppins, to George and Marina, which was sold by the present Duke in 1972. The only jewels in the Kent line were the pieces Princess Marina received as wedding gifts from George V and Queen Mary or civic bodies, the jewels she inherited from her mother and a few pieces from The Duchess of Windsor.

Princess Alexandra has a few pieces from Marina and The Duchess of Kent has a tiara that was Queen Mary's and assorted other pieces.

The substantial jewels have already been disposed of by The Duke of Kent, including most of the Cambridge sapphire parure, several significant diamond collier necklaces, and a few other pieces.

It looks fantastic. I hope, they won't sell this tiara. :ohmy: It's a pity that they have to sell some of their surely amazing heirlooms, but its known for years that the whole family seems to have financial problems. Difficult situation IMO.

Hola just happens to use this picture to show the couple, but don't say anything about the sale of this or any other tiara. So there is hope that it stays in the family.
But I still wonder why Sophie Winkelman didn't get to wear this beauty for her wedding. It is perfect for a bride!

Well,it seems there is hope after all.I don't know,maybe it's just me,but I do believe that tiaras should never be sold.

There's no panic! The jewellry part of the sale won't include anything that's currently worn by the Kent ladies. Apparently it consists of some pieces that belonged to Queen Victoria that have lay in storage ( I saw a picture of one item, a diamond brooch which spells out Victoria R in diamonds). Also I don't think this sale has arisen from any great financial need on the family's part. Apparently the items up for sale have been in storage for 41 years so basically they are selling off stuff that they own as a family but havn't used for a very long time. IMO it makes sense.

P.S. Did anyone spot Princess M's beautiful sapphire and diamond bracelet and ring at Freddie's wedding? The sapphire on the bracelet especially was huge. I think the ring was Princess Marina's engagement ring as I know Prince Michael inherited this and it fit's the descrition of that ring which is described in the book "The Queen's Jewels" as being a large 7 carat square Kashmir Sapphire flanked by banguette diamonds.

:previous:
Thanks angela for stepping in with the facts. Details of the items to be auctioned appear in posts #116 and #117 on the previous page and it's obvious they have been ignored or overlooked by some members.

Once more, to set the record straight:
There is nothing to suggest that any serious royal jewels are included in this sale by the Kent family.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

The really close-up pic of the ring and the bracelet was in Hello magazine's coverage of the wedding but unfortunatley I can't find that pic online to post. I have saw her wear the ring before though.

Here is a good pic of the bracelet at another event.

Picture details

That's a big sapphire ring. It may be from The Duchess of Windsor, but re-set into a modern setting, as a recent picture showed with a mysterious emerald cobochon ring.

I love the pearl, diamond and quramarine set, but the blouse really doesnt show off the stunning set. (V-neck jewelry with round scoop neck fashion not really a good combination IMO) Princess Michael is usually so good a showcasing her jewelry with compliementary fashion. oops....

Thank you for these pictures and for the precious info :flowers: I liked all of the pieces here,especially the last aquamarine necklace.All these must cost a fortune!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the beautiful pics angela! The pear shaped diamond drop on the first picture,I have seen her wearing as just a solitare. I LOVE jewelry that you can switch around. PMichael seems to always alter her jewelry just a bit with her different outfits.Love it!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a big sapphire ring. It may be from The Duchess of Windsor, but re-set into a modern setting, as a recent picture showed with a mysterious emerald cobochon ring.

The ring on the picture isn't a sapphire ring, its the mysterious emerald cobochon ring! Here's a picture where Princess Michael wears the sapphire ring on Lord Fredericks wedding:

http://i33.tinypic.com/bivu3r.jpg

I never seen this ring before on Princess Michael.

I always loved this necklace and the earrings:

http://i38.tinypic.com/21csap.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/140faf8.jpg

Does anybody know where this set comes from? :flowers:

Thanks for the picture of the ring and others.
So at Lord Frederick's wedding she wore her sapphire 7 carats ring. Or am I wrong

The last pic posted by Dierna23 is the pic I was referring to as being the clearest shot of the ring at Freddie's wedding but the one I saw was much closer up so you could see the detail better. Also in this pic the ring has slipped around her finger a little so the sapphire can't be seen full on but it is large and square.

Nice pics,Dierna!I loved that ring-I also thought it was a sapphire-and the gorgeous tiara.Princess Michael looks stunning in every single photo!

The sapphire pieces in her necklace may have come from The Duchess of Windsor, perhaps as jeweled clips from Van Cleef & Arpels. Princess Michael is known to be quite creative in designing her jewelry into modern settings.

http://pro.corbis.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=0000276745-010&caller=search

The sapphire and diamond parts of the necklace are Cartier clips that belonged to Princess Marina. Here is a pic of the Princess wearing the clips on their own.
I have been searching for pics of these clips!!!! Thanks for finding them. PM also wore them one year for Trooping the Color with a white suit, I'm still looking for that photo. I love deco clips, they are on my super wish list. Im so glad Princess Michael keeps recycling her beautiful jewels in different ways... and why not when they are so gorgeous!;););)

Rubies , I think you are right she add these 2 clips to her pearl necklace .
If this is correct she had a wonderful idea with her blue dress she was stunning at Lord F's wedding.

All the pieces Angela posted are wonderful,especially the Cartier brooch!So regal!!

Back
Top Bottom