The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Is it still in the Kent jewel chest?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

As far as I know, the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara is still with Katharine, Duchess of Kent. But it's been away from the public eye since her early retirement. The other Kent Fringe Tiara, The Kent City of London Fringe is always seen being worn by Princess Michael of Kent. Recently worn by her daughter Lady Gabriella on her wedding.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Best Royal Jewels of 2019: #6 (Lady Gabriella's Windsor Wedding) | The Court Jeweller

I love this tiara. It is beautiful and divine.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:29 AM
Courtier

If I am not mistaken, there are only 2 tiaras left in the main Kent branch - the altered Aquamarine tiara and this one.... not a lot given that the younger Kents (Pr. Michael & family) have the Kokoshnik and the pearl festoon tiara.
Any insights?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
If I am not mistaken, there are only 2 tiaras left in the main Kent branch - the altered Aquamarine tiara and this one.... not a lot given that the younger Kents (Pr. Michael & family) have the Kokoshnik and the pearl festoon tiara.
Any insights?
Here is a picture of the Aqua tiara:

https://www.tiara-mania.com/2014/10/...ine-tiara.html

...and I have to correct myself. The tiara was sold , which means only 1 tiara left in the main Kent branch????
Old 01-02-2020, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The once plentiful Kent Jewel chest is seriously being depleted by selling them off ,is the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara still in the family?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The once plentiful Kent Jewel chest is seriously being depleted by selling them off ,is the Kent Pearl Fringe Tiara still in the family?

Yes the Duke of Kent still has the Pearl Tiara and the Cambridge Sapphire reworked tiara.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
Yes the Duke of Kent still has the Pearl Tiara and the Cambridge Sapphire reworked tiara.
Does anybody have a good picture of the sapphire tiara?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Does anybody have a good picture of the sapphire tiara?
Duchess of Kent wearing the sapphire tiara made from the necklace of the Cambridge Sapphire Parure

I don't like it as a tiara at all. It's very button-y.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Gentry

The Duchess of Kent always had amazing tiara-hair. Too bad they have sold most of the jewels. Next out is the Gloucesters. I believe most of it will be sold off.
Why is the Duchess of Kent not attending anything? Can’t say I have seen her.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkl View Post
The Duchess of Kent always had amazing tiara-hair. Too bad they have sold most of the jewels. Next out is the Gloucesters. I believe most of it will be sold off.
Why is the Duchess of Kent not attending anything? Can’t say I have seen her.
The Duchess of Kent has a frail health and is for decades battling a chronic fatigue. She is 86 years old and has already withdrawn largely from royal duties for more than 20 years.

Often royal jewels are sold to overcome succession taxes and for division of properties between heirs. The Duke and his two siblings had to pay taxes after their mother's passing. The Duke and Duchess themselves have four children and eleven grandchildren. There you go: who gets what?
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here is a picture of the Aqua tiara:

https://www.tiara-mania.com/2014/10/...ine-tiara.html

...and I have to correct myself. The tiara was sold , which means only 1 tiara left in the main Kent branch????

I thinnk it is not sure if the aquamrine tiara was ever owned by the Duke and Duchess of Kent. The Duchess has only worn it a few times.Lady Ncholas has also been seen wearing a convertd sapphire necklace as tiara but it could be from her own Family.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post

And a horrible visible frame.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Majesty

Only the vey rich Prince and Pincess Michael were able to keep their tiaras : the Fringe and the Festoon tiara ...
Old 01-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think it's a money issue it's just that who in the family will ever need these tiaras now? I agree that one day most of the Gloucester collection will also go up for sale and that will no doubt raise a small fortune with the number of pieces they have. The Gloucester kids don't need these jewels either although it would be nice if items that had belonged to Queen Mary returned to the main line of the BRF. Don't know if the Queen (or Charles) would be willing to pay for them though.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Duchess of Kent has a frail health and is for decades battling a chronic fatigue. She is 86 years old and has already withdrawn largely from royal duties for more than 20 years.

Often royal jewels are sold to overcome succession taxes and for division of properties between heirs. The Duke and his two siblings had to pay taxes after their mother's passing. The Duke and Duchess themselves have four children and eleven grandchildren. There you go: who gets what?
Selling royal jewels are often a way to pay for the inheritance taxes due. That said and independent of the need to finance the inheritance tax payable, none of the Kent and Gloucester children will have a use for most of these jewels, so it is only natural they cash in their inheritance.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Only the vey rich Prince and Pincess Michael were able to keep their tiaras : the Fringe and the Festoon tiara ...
I am not sure that Prince and Princess Michael are substantially wealthier than the Duke and Duchess of Kent. It may just be a question of priorities.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I don't think it's a money issue it's just that who in the family will ever need these tiaras now? I agree that one day most of the Gloucester collection will also go up for sale and that will no doubt raise a small fortune with the number of pieces they have.
I agree with you. These jewels are just not of much use to the children of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. I think it is only a question of time before quite a lot of the Gloucester jewellery collection comes up for sale, though I suspect that it be after the death of the current Duke and Duchess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
The Gloucester kids don't need these jewels either although it would be nice if items that had belonged to Queen Mary returned to the main line of the BRF. Don't know if the Queen (or Charles) would be willing to pay for them though.
> I think it will come down to whether the main line feel they need to augment their existing jewellery collection, or they are happy let the jewels be sold. My own view is that the jewels will not be bought back by the Queen, Charles or William as they have a pretty large collection themselves.

> There is also the question of value. A large, public auction of royal jewels previously used by Queen Mary will generate international interest, and potentially, quite high prices. The main line of the BRF do not need to pay these prices, and they may not want to stop their cousins from cashing out either.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I doubt the Kents will need so many tiaras in the future at most we might only see the remaining ones being used as Wedding tiaras.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Three children-George, Helen & Nicholas, and 10 grandchildren.

But yes, inheritance taxes are the reason so much jewelry is sold off, especially when it is not useful.

Tags
jewellery, kent